Re: thoughts on grep/quickfix grep/location list interaction, doc patch

  • Marko Mahnič
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
      On Aug 31, 3:00 pm, Britton Kerin <britton.ke...@...> wrote:

      >  * Its not easy to filter the grep results.  When a user needs to grep it
      >    usually means:

      The command VxOccur from the vimuiex plugin (vimscript#2606) tries
      to solve this problem. The vimgrep results are displayed in a popup
      window and can be further filtered.

      A new version will be published shortly that will use external
      programs
      grep/find/xargs to perform a search

      http://vimuiex.sourceforge.net/vimdoc/vimuiex_plugins.html#vimuiex-vxoccur

      Marko

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
        Y usually copy the results of the quickfix window into a new buffer and
        then use :g or :v or or the like to keep the lines I'm interested in (I
        mapped this "filter lines") so its very fast for me.

        For huge projects I don't use grep - I use gnu id utils for speed
        reasons.

        Writing additional filters can be done easily. See setqflist() and
        getqflist()

        Of course those are no fixes - they are workarounds I can work with.

        Have a look at gnu id utils.

        Marc Weber

      • Britton Kerin
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
          On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
> [...]
          >> of quickfix.txt.  It can take years to find them otherwise.  I've attached
          >> a patch which does this and also includes a command example.  I think
          >> its worth including, because for me (and apparently some others at least)
          >> the default :grep (and :lgrep and :helpgrep) behavior is somewhere between
          >> painful and unusable.  In the past I've usually just ended up using the shell.
          >>
          >> Also, :grep! is usually more useful than :grep.  Jumping to the first error
          >> usually makes sense when compiling but usually doesn't when grep'ing.  One does
          >> in theory get led to a description of the !-form functionality when reading
          >> the :grep documentation, so I'm not sure the docs can be regarded as needing
          >> fixing.  But :grep! does make things behave better and odds are many people
          >> don't find out about it.  The attached patch helps with this issue as well.
          >>
          >> There are two other problems I have with the way grep works in vim (and most
          >> other editors for that matter):
          >>
          >>  * Its not easy to filter the grep results.  When a user needs to grep it
          >>    usually means:
          >>
          >>       a. the project is biggish
          >>
          >>       b. they have little idea where the occurences they are interested
          >>          in are located, and
          >>
          >>       c. there are likely multiple file types involved.
          >>
          >>    This means that much of the output of the grep is going to be
          >>    uninteresting.  One can go back and change the file list, but its usually
          >>    a hassle to get the list just right.  This is enough of a trouble for
          >>    me that I often end up going to the terminal and tacking on a bunch of
          >>    '| grep -v "junk_pattern"' things until I get what I want.
          >>
          >>  * Support for context is poor.  A single line is often not enough,
          >>    but putting '-C 1'  in 'grepprg' makes :cn ~200% slower.
          >>
          >> I have a module that fixes these issues for me though its pretty messy
          >> and fragile as it depends on slicing up, saving, :cgetfile'ing, reparsing,
          >> and re-presenting the error file.
          >>
          >> I just mention them because they are issues I'd love to see vim address
          >> properly someday.
          >
          > Just to present the other side of some of your issues:
          >
          > 1.  I never use :grep!.  When I :grep for something, I want to see
          >    all occurrences of it in the context of the files in which it is
          >    found, so I want to immediately jump to the first match.  I
          >    often start :grep as
          >
          >        :new | grep ...
          >
          >    so that the matching files are opened in a new window.
          >
          > 2.  I agree that the default commands for traversing the quickfix
          >    list can be painful.  I have ^N and ^P mapped to :cn and :cp
          >    respectively so that jumping from one match to the next is a
          >    breeze.
          >
          > 3.  If the output of a :grep command contains too many undesired
          >    hits, use a better pattern or use the --include and --exclude
          >    options to grep to limit the files searched.  If you find a lot
          >    of hits in one file that you know aren't going to be
          >    interesting, use :cnf to skip that file.

          I missed this :cnf command, thanks for pointing it out.

          > 4.  A little context for the matches would be nice, but again,
          >    traversing the quickfix list with the ^N and ^P mappings is
          >    fast and provides a full screen of context.
          >
          > Vim's :grep facility is not perfect, but I don't think it's as bad
          > as you say, either.

          Maybe I was a little harsh. I've always found vim's grep interface
          *almost* good enough that I wanted to use it.

          Britton

        • Britton Kerin
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
            On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 5:30 AM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber@...> wrote:
            > Y usually copy the results of the quickfix window into a new buffer and
            > then use :g or :v or or the like to keep the lines I'm interested in (I
            > mapped this "filter lines") so its very fast for me.
            >
            > For huge projects I don't use grep - I use gnu id utils for speed
            > reasons.

            Me too, but apart from the speed win and the not indexing a lot of file
            types issue it works like grep.

            > Writing additional filters can be done easily. See setqflist() and
            > getqflist()

            Hmm, I wonder how these are to use from the embedder perl interpreter :)

            Britton