setwinvar unavailable in "restricted mode"

  • Benjamin Fritz
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2010
      I got a bug report for the 2html plugin, that two "setwinvar()" calls
      are throwing an error.

      It appears the problem was that the user was running Vim with the -Z flag.

      :help setwinvar() says it acts just like settabwinvar(), which in turn
      says it is not available in the sandbox. :help sandbox does not
      mention restricted mode, and :help -Z does not mention the sandbox,
      but from some quick testing, the first several functions I tested that
      are not available in the sandbox, are also not available in restricted
      mode.

      Is this behavior intentional? It seems strange to me.

      The error raised is strange too..."E145: Shell commands not allowed in rvim".

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18, 2010
        Benjamin Fritz wrote:

        > I got a bug report for the 2html plugin, that two "setwinvar()" calls
        > are throwing an error.
        >
        > It appears the problem was that the user was running Vim with the -Z flag.
        >
        > :help setwinvar() says it acts just like settabwinvar(), which in turn
        > says it is not available in the sandbox. :help sandbox does not
        > mention restricted mode, and :help -Z does not mention the sandbox,
        > but from some quick testing, the first several functions I tested that
        > are not available in the sandbox, are also not available in restricted
        > mode.
        >
        > Is this behavior intentional? It seems strange to me.
        >
        > The error raised is strange too..."E145: Shell commands not allowed in rvim".

        It appears the restricted flag is checked for a few functions where it
        doesn't make sense: histadd(), setbufvar(), settabvar(), setwinvar().

        It's also used for delete(), mkdir(), rename(), writefile(), I'm not
        sure it needs to apply there, these are not really shell commands.

        165. You have a web page burned into your glasses