Re: Improved YAML syntax file

  • Nikolai Weibull
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
      On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 19:54, ZyX <zyx.vim@...> wrote:

      > I have written a syntax file for YAML markup language that has the following
      > differencies with runtime/syntax/yaml.vim from mercurial repository:

      Great! Please consider taking over maintenance of this file. Bram,
      if ZyX wants to maintain this file, please replace my version and me
      as maintainer. I have no passion at all for YAML (which, on a side
      note, I now think absolutely sucks).

      Thanks!

    • forbin
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2010
        On Sep 1, 10:54 am, ZyX <zyx....@...> wrote:
        > I have written a syntax file for YAML markup language that has the following
        > differencies with runtime/syntax/yaml.vim from mercurial repository:

        You might also want to submit this to the github project maintained by
        the co-author of the yaml spec: http://github.com/ingydotnet/yaml-vim

      • Nikolai Weibull
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14, 2010
          On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 03:23, forbin <colossus.forbin@...> wrote:
          > On Sep 1, 10:54 am, ZyX <zyx....@...> wrote:
          >> I have written a syntax file for YAML markup language that has the following
          >> differencies with runtime/syntax/yaml.vim from mercurial repository:
          >
          > You might also want to submit this to the github project maintained by
          > the co-author of the yaml spec: http://github.com/ingydotnet/yaml-vim

          Why is there a copy of the file there? Modified, nonetheless? I
          realize that I’ve been very slow at updating this file, but
          maintaining a separate copy seems like a very poor practice.

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
            ZyX wrote:

            > I have written a syntax file for YAML markup language that has the
            > following differencies with runtime/syntax/yaml.vim from mercurial
            > repository:
            >
            > 1. It is higlights YAML-1.2, not YAML-1.1
            > 2. Improved directive detection and higlighting (official was not able to
            > properly detect YAML directives at all).
            > 3. Better dictionary key higlighting (official was not able to highlight even
            > key like ``a-b'', my can higlight ``a{b'')
            > 4. Better number detection (official lacked sexadecimal numbers and
            > proper number boundaries detection, there also were errors in special
            > values (NaN and Inf) detection)
            > 5. Improved anchor, alias and tag detection
            > 6. Improved document end detection
            > 7. Added `merge' key detection
            > 8. Removed obsolete YAML-1.1 keywords
            >
            > Please, consider including it in the official distribution.

            Since Nikolai would like you to take over maintenance, can you send me a
            version with updated header? Add your name as the maintainer and
            mention Nikolai as author of the previous version.

            I don't know YAML, thus I can't say anything about the quality of this
            syntax file. I would only add some more spaces to make it easier to
            read, esp. around the use of "." for string contcatenation and "=" for
            assignment.

            144. You eagerly await the update of the "Cool Site of the Day."

          • ZyX
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
              присланное в 23:05:46 15 сентября 2010, Среда,
              отправитель Bram Moolenaar:

              Attaching hg export output with slightly modified version of this file.

              Текст сообщения:

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 16, 2010
                ZyX wrote:

                > Attaching hg export output with slightly modified version of this file.

                Thanks, I'll include this.

                150. You find yourself counting emoticons to get to sleep.

              • TR NS
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 16
                  On Tuesday, September 14, 2010 at 8:14:49 AM UTC-4, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
                  > On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 03:23, forbin <colossus.forbin@...> wrote:
                  > > On Sep 1, 10:54 am, ZyX <zyx....@...> wrote:
                  > >> I have written a syntax file for YAML markup language that has the following
                  > >> differencies with runtime/syntax/yaml.vim from mercurial repository:
                  > >
                  > > You might also want to submit this to the github project maintained by
                  > > the co-author of the yaml spec: http://github.com/ingydotnet/yaml-vim
                  >
                  > Why is there a copy of the file there? Modified, nonetheless? I
                  > realize that I’ve been very slow at updating this file, but
                  > maintaining a separate copy seems like a very poor practice.

                  That repo was setup in 2008 and derives from an earlier repo going all the way back to 2002 when I hired Igor Vergeichik to write a vim syntax file. In 2010 I merged your work with it. I had thought it was the official repo since Ingy had taken over maintenance. But apparently there is another being maintained? Where is that repo? I agree maintaining a separate copy is a poor practice, but there appears to be a communication gap. (As this message can attest being four years later.)