Improved YAML syntax file

  • ZyX
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
      I have written a syntax file for YAML markup language that has the following
      differencies with runtime/syntax/yaml.vim from mercurial repository:

      1. It is higlights YAML-1.2, not YAML-1.1
      2. Improved directive detection and higlighting (official was not able to
      properly detect YAML directives at all).
      3. Better dictionary key higlighting (official was not able to highlight even
      key like ``a-b'', my can higlight ``a{b'')
      4. Better number detection (official lacked sexadecimal numbers and proper
      number boundaries detection, there also were errors in special values (NaN and
      Inf) detection)
      5. Improved anchor, alias and tag detection
      6. Improved document end detection
      7. Added `merge' key detection
      8. Removed obsolete YAML-1.1 keywords

      Please, consider including it in the official distribution.
    • Nikolai Weibull
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 19:54, ZyX <zyx.vim@...> wrote:

        > I have written a syntax file for YAML markup language that has the following
        > differencies with runtime/syntax/yaml.vim from mercurial repository:

        Great! Please consider taking over maintenance of this file. Bram,
        if ZyX wants to maintain this file, please replace my version and me
        as maintainer. I have no passion at all for YAML (which, on a side
        note, I now think absolutely sucks).

        Thanks!

      • forbin
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2010
          On Sep 1, 10:54 am, ZyX <zyx....@...> wrote:
          > I have written a syntax file for YAML markup language that has the following
          > differencies with runtime/syntax/yaml.vim from mercurial repository:

          You might also want to submit this to the github project maintained by
          the co-author of the yaml spec: http://github.com/ingydotnet/yaml-vim

        • Nikolai Weibull
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 14, 2010
            On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 03:23, forbin <colossus.forbin@...> wrote:
            > On Sep 1, 10:54 am, ZyX <zyx....@...> wrote:
            >> I have written a syntax file for YAML markup language that has the following
            >> differencies with runtime/syntax/yaml.vim from mercurial repository:
            >
            > You might also want to submit this to the github project maintained by
            > the co-author of the yaml spec: http://github.com/ingydotnet/yaml-vim

            Why is there a copy of the file there? Modified, nonetheless? I
            realize that I’ve been very slow at updating this file, but
            maintaining a separate copy seems like a very poor practice.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
              ZyX wrote:

              > I have written a syntax file for YAML markup language that has the
              > following differencies with runtime/syntax/yaml.vim from mercurial
              > repository:
              >
              > 1. It is higlights YAML-1.2, not YAML-1.1
              > 2. Improved directive detection and higlighting (official was not able to
              > properly detect YAML directives at all).
              > 3. Better dictionary key higlighting (official was not able to highlight even
              > key like ``a-b'', my can higlight ``a{b'')
              > 4. Better number detection (official lacked sexadecimal numbers and
              > proper number boundaries detection, there also were errors in special
              > values (NaN and Inf) detection)
              > 5. Improved anchor, alias and tag detection
              > 6. Improved document end detection
              > 7. Added `merge' key detection
              > 8. Removed obsolete YAML-1.1 keywords
              >
              > Please, consider including it in the official distribution.

              Since Nikolai would like you to take over maintenance, can you send me a
              version with updated header? Add your name as the maintainer and
              mention Nikolai as author of the previous version.

              I don't know YAML, thus I can't say anything about the quality of this
              syntax file. I would only add some more spaces to make it easier to
              read, esp. around the use of "." for string contcatenation and "=" for
              assignment.

              144. You eagerly await the update of the "Cool Site of the Day."

            • ZyX
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
                присланное в 23:05:46 15 сентября 2010, Среда,
                отправитель Bram Moolenaar:

                Attaching hg export output with slightly modified version of this file.

                Текст сообщения:

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 16, 2010
                  ZyX wrote:

                  > Attaching hg export output with slightly modified version of this file.

                  Thanks, I'll include this.

                  150. You find yourself counting emoticons to get to sleep.

                • TR NS
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 16
                    On Tuesday, September 14, 2010 at 8:14:49 AM UTC-4, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
                    > On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 03:23, forbin <colossus.forbin@...> wrote:
                    > > On Sep 1, 10:54 am, ZyX <zyx....@...> wrote:
                    > >> I have written a syntax file for YAML markup language that has the following
                    > >> differencies with runtime/syntax/yaml.vim from mercurial repository:
                    > >
                    > > You might also want to submit this to the github project maintained by
                    > > the co-author of the yaml spec: http://github.com/ingydotnet/yaml-vim
                    >
                    > Why is there a copy of the file there? Modified, nonetheless? I
                    > realize that I’ve been very slow at updating this file, but
                    > maintaining a separate copy seems like a very poor practice.

                    That repo was setup in 2008 and derives from an earlier repo going all the way back to 2002 when I hired Igor Vergeichik to write a vim syntax file. In 2010 I merged your work with it. I had thought it was the official repo since Ingy had taken over maintenance. But apparently there is another being maintained? Where is that repo? I agree maintaining a separate copy is a poor practice, but there appears to be a communication gap. (As this message can attest being four years later.)