Ambiguous use of "preceded with a backslash" in help

  • Adrien "Axioplase" Piérard
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2010
      The help for langmap states

      >> Special characters need to be preceded with a backslash. These are
      >> ";", ',' and backslash itself.

      It means that we have to escape the backslash and write something like
      :set langmap=\\;k

      The help for option-backslash states

      >> To include white space in a string option value it has to be preceded with a
      >> backslash.

      It means that we need to escape the space, but not the backslash, like
      :set tags=foo\ bar

      As a result, we have twice "preceded with a backslash", but with two
      different interpretations.
      I do believe that the difference should be made clear, but I don't know how.
      Maybe by writing "Special characters need to be preceded with an
      escaped backslash" and "it has be be escaped with a backslash"?
      (I think that other places in the help would then need such
      clarification, but langmap seems to be the most common troublemaker I
      encountered on IRC.)

      Cheers

      --
      Français, English, 日本語, 한국어