Re: syntax/r.vim

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
      Jakson A. Aquino wrote:

      > I tried to contact the maintainer of syntax/r.vim by sending email to
      > both his address at the syntax/r.vim (13 days ago) and the one
      > published at http://uosis.mif.vu.lt/~zemlys (4 days ago). I didn't
      > get any reply. Chen Zhuojun also reports at
      > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2984 that the
      > maintainer of syntax/r.vim didn't reply to an attempt of contact.
      >
      > The filetype plugin that I maintain has a few improvements to R syntax
      > highlighting and I would be glad if all users could benefit from these
      > improvements and not just the ones who download the plugin. How should
      > I proceed? I submitted two scripts related to R some days ago to this
      > list but it seems that this is not a good moment to make big changes
      > in the runtime files.

      If a maintainer doesn't respond then we need to find someone to take
      over. If you want to do this, that's great.

      If the current version doesn't work, then replacing it with one that
      does work can be done right now. If your plugin adds a lot of features
      and the old one did work then we better postpone including it until
      after the 7.3 release.

      --
      The acknowledged parents of reengineering are Michael Hammer and James Champy.
      When I say they're the "parents" I don't mean they had sex - and I apologize

    • Jakson A. Aquino
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
        On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

        > Jakson A. Aquino wrote:
        >
        >> I tried to contact the maintainer of syntax/r.vim by sending email to
        >> both his address at the syntax/r.vim (13 days ago) and the one
        >> published at  http://uosis.mif.vu.lt/~zemlys (4 days ago). I didn't
        >> get any reply.  Chen Zhuojun also reports at
        >> http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2984 that the
        >> maintainer of syntax/r.vim didn't reply to an attempt of contact.
        >>
        >> The filetype plugin that I maintain has a few improvements to R syntax
        >> highlighting and I would be glad if all users could benefit from these
        >> improvements and not just the ones who download the plugin. How should
        >> I proceed? I submitted two scripts related to R some days ago to this
        >> list but it seems that this is not a good moment to make big changes
        >> in the runtime files.
        >
        > If a maintainer doesn't respond then we need to find someone to take
        > over.  If you want to do this, that's great.

        I would like to maintain the syntax/r.vim since I'm already doing this
        in my plugin.

        > If the current version doesn't work, then replacing it with one that
        > does work can be done right now.  If your plugin adds a lot of features
        > and the old one did work then we better postpone including it until
        > after the 7.3 release.

        The current version works well. My plugin adds just a few
        improvements. The most important are the specification of spell
        regions (comments and strings) and the highlighting of R functions,
        but this last feature is achieved by an additional file containing the
        list of all functions. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to add this
        list to the official Vim runtime because each new version of R
        includes new functions and exclude others. Moreover, each user loads a
        different set of R packages and, thus, the list of functions isn't the
        same for all users. I'll send a patch to the syntax/r.vim after the
        release of 7.3 if the current maintainer doesn't respond until the
        release.

        Thanks!

        Jakson Aquino

      • Jakson A. Aquino
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 25, 2010
          Hi,

          Some time ago I proposed a patch to syntax/r.vim, but Bram considered
          it would be better to apply the patch after the release of Vim 7.3.
          So, I'm sending the patch again. The previous discussion is archived
          here:

          http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/d89502034093191e/df231331f354dc7c

          Actually, the maintainer of syntax/r.vim replied to my email on
          August, 3, and he suggested that I should become the maintainer of the
          syntax/r.vim since I'm already maintaining a R plugin.

          Thanks,

          Jakson Aquino

        • Jakson A. Aquino
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2010
            On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

            > Jakson A. Aquino wrote:
            >
            >> Some time ago I proposed a patch to syntax/r.vim, but Bram considered
            >> it would be better to apply the patch after the release of Vim 7.3.
            >> So, I'm sending the patch again. The previous discussion is archived
            >> here:
            >>
            >> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/d89502034093191e/df231331f354dc7c
            >>
            >> Actually, the maintainer of syntax/r.vim replied to my email on
            >> August, 3, and he suggested that I should become the maintainer of the
            >> syntax/r.vim since I'm already maintaining a R plugin.
            >
            > If anybody sees a problem in this syntax file, let us know.  Otherwise
            > I'll include it.

            I noted that my patch has what may be a security weakness: the
            attempting of sourcing of a script that is not installed by default
            and which is part of the vim-r-plugin. I'm sending a new version
            without the "runtime" command. Because I changed the style of the
            r.vim script (basically the use of quotes instead of slashes) the diff
            file shows too many differences. So I'm sending both the diff and the
            syntax/r.vim itself.

            Best regards,

            Jakson