Re: [patch] Modern UI upgrade for Vim NSIS installer

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
      On 01/08/10 09:50, Guopeng Wen wrote:
      > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Tux<der_tuxman@...> wrote:
      [...]
      >> BTW while you're at it, what about a better sidebar banner? The existing
      >> one looks rather boring. I'm not really good with GFX, but maybe someone
      >> from this list could do it.
      >
      > That's the pristine banner from NSIS. Yes it's better to use a
      > banner for Vim. I'm not good at artwork either, so, I'm expecting
      > other talented guys to create one to be used in the installer.
      >
      > Regards!
      >
      > Guopeng

      Boring or not, those graphics have the merit of being "consistent" with
      Windows installers for various programs. I think they are acceptable.

      If we want to design a specific image for Vim, IMHO it would have to
      - be based on the Vim "V" or "Vim" logo
      - not be so trendy that next year it'd be out of fashion
      - not make the text hard to read, not even for colour-blind people.
      The latter probably implies either (a) text outside the image, or (b)
      text inside the image, but on a relatively flat-coloured part of it, and
      in contrasting tones (white text on dark BG, black text on light BG, etc.).

      "He's not pining, he's passed on! This parrot won't squawk! He's
      ceased to be! He's expired, and gone to meet his maker! It's a
      stiff! No breath of life, he may rest in peace! If you hadn't nailed
      him to the perch, he'd be pushing up the daisies! He's off the twig!
      He's kicked the bucket! He's curled up his tooties! He's shuffled off
      this mortal world! He's run down the curtain, and joined the bleed'n
      Choir Invincible! HE'S FUCKING SNUFFED IT! Vis-a-vi his metabolic
      processes is head is lost. All statements concerning this parrot is no
      longer a going concern, after from now on, Inoperative...

      THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!