Re: [patch] Modern UI upgrade for Vim NSIS installer

  • Guopeng Wen
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
      On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Tux <der_tuxman@...> wrote:
      > Guopeng Wen schrob am 31.07.2010 17:34:
      >
      >>    When should installer do if it found Vim has already installed?
      >>    Vim instance still running?
      >
      > I would propose a message box that tells the user to exit Vim first and
      > continues the installation after clicking "OK" or something. It would be
      > the easiest way IMO.

      See my reply to Tony.

      > BTW while you're at it, what about a better sidebar banner? The existing
      > one looks rather boring. I'm not really good with GFX, but maybe someone
      > from this list could do it.

      That's the pristine banner from NSIS. Yes it's better to use a
      banner for Vim. I'm not good at artwork either, so, I'm expecting
      other talented guys to create one to be used in the installer.

      Regards!

      Guopeng

    • Guopeng Wen
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
        On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 11:57 PM, gongqian li <gongqian@...> wrote:
        > What about a portable version like the one created in
        > http://portableapps.com/news/2009-10-13_-_gvim_portable_7.2%c2%a0which doesn't
        > depend on windows registry? that will be really nice.

        I checked the web site you mentioned. It seems that's a different
        installation system (although it's based on NSIS, if I read
        correctly). That means if we build that installer, we may have to
        distributed two different installers for Windows. Please note I
        have not checked if its license allow us to distribute such
        installer directly or not. Anyway, it does not look like I can make
        the decision to include such installer in Vim distribution.

        That said, I assume you've tried that distribution yourself, I'm
        curious about whether it provides shell extension etc. or not. Does
        it provides context menu (the "Open with Vim" right mouse click
        menu)? If you run "gvim" directly from command line in any
        directory, could it launch Vim? Does it provide MS Visual Studio
        integration?

        If answer to all of those questions are no, maybe we can do emulate
        that by leaving out some components. But I'm afraid things are more
        complex than that.

        Regards!

        Guopeng

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
          On 01/08/10 09:50, Guopeng Wen wrote:
          > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Tux<der_tuxman@...> wrote:
          [...]
          >> BTW while you're at it, what about a better sidebar banner? The existing
          >> one looks rather boring. I'm not really good with GFX, but maybe someone
          >> from this list could do it.
          >
          > That's the pristine banner from NSIS. Yes it's better to use a
          > banner for Vim. I'm not good at artwork either, so, I'm expecting
          > other talented guys to create one to be used in the installer.
          >
          > Regards!
          >
          > Guopeng

          Boring or not, those graphics have the merit of being "consistent" with
          Windows installers for various programs. I think they are acceptable.

          If we want to design a specific image for Vim, IMHO it would have to
          - be based on the Vim "V" or "Vim" logo
          - not be so trendy that next year it'd be out of fashion
          - not make the text hard to read, not even for colour-blind people.
          The latter probably implies either (a) text outside the image, or (b)
          text inside the image, but on a relatively flat-coloured part of it, and
          in contrasting tones (white text on dark BG, black text on light BG, etc.).

          "He's not pining, he's passed on! This parrot won't squawk! He's
          ceased to be! He's expired, and gone to meet his maker! It's a
          stiff! No breath of life, he may rest in peace! If you hadn't nailed
          him to the perch, he'd be pushing up the daisies! He's off the twig!
          He's kicked the bucket! He's curled up his tooties! He's shuffled off
          this mortal world! He's run down the curtain, and joined the bleed'n
          Choir Invincible! HE'S FUCKING SNUFFED IT! Vis-a-vi his metabolic
          processes is head is lost. All statements concerning this parrot is no
          longer a going concern, after from now on, Inoperative...

          THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!