Re: [patch] Modern UI upgrade for Vim NSIS installer

  • Guopeng Wen
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
      Resend, previous reply send to Tony only. Sorry to the duplicated
      message, Tony.

      On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Tony Mechelynck
      <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      > On 31/07/10 17:34, Guopeng Wen wrote:
      >>
      >> On 07/31/2010 10:46 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >>>
      >>> Hm, I'm not concerned (since I'm on Linux), but it seems to go in the
      >>> opposite direction to Steve Hall's "one-click" installer.
      >>>
      >>> What about a first page with two radio buttons:
      >>>
      >>> (*) Standard install
      >>> ( ) Custom install
      >>>
      >>> ? The first option would install Vim with "typical" settings (and
      >>> sufficiently powerful to let the user customize it later via vimrc
      >>> etc.), bypassing all those menus of yours, which would appear if the
      >>> user selects "Custom install"?
      >>>

      >>> Best regards,
      >>> Tony.
      >>
      >> Hmmm, "one-click" is not powerful enough, how about "no-click" :)
      >>
      >> You just brought up another topic I'm trying to touch. NSIS
      >> installer is in fact quite flexible - it can be executed "silently".
      >> That is, slap some control parameters on command line, it can run
      >> from beginning to end. Well, it cannot happen automatically, you
      >> need to do something in the script to make that happen. It's used
      >> for mass installation, which is apparently appealing to Linux users
      >> who also use Windows (like me). Silent installer is in fact one of
      >> the TODO item of Vim. Does it sound like what you expected?
      >>
      >> Here's some of design issues I have not decided yet:
      >>
      >> - Control granularity?
      >> Just let user specifies installation type, or makes it possible to
      >> specify which component to install (needs config file for this).
      >> I think installation type should probably be OK.
      >>
      >> - Error handing?
      >> When should installer do if it found Vim has already installed?
      >> Vim instance still running? I think the dumb solution should be
      >> use - just panic and abort.
      >>
      >> - Log?
      >> I have not tried that yet. Apparently some kind of log should be
      >> create during silent installation, so the user can check if
      >> something go wrong. However, it seems default build of NSIS has
      >> not enabled logging. You need a custom build to enable that.
      >>
      >> Feedbacks are welcomed.
      >>

      > If Vim is already installed, not running, and lower version (or same version
      > and lower patchlevel), maybe no panic but default to upgrade? (if different
      > version, leave the "old" $VIMRUNTIME in place? Remove it? Let the user
      > decide?)
      >
      > If already running, then clear error message: something like "Vim is already
      > running. Please quit Vim before upgrading" or similar. Or if possible (if
      > the running instance has +clientserver) maybe close the existing Vim by
      > means of the client-server facility (after asking user's permission)

      Sorry I didn't make it clear that those "design issues" I listed
      above are for silent mode only. For normal mode, the installer
      behaves mostly like what you described, except that it won't close
      any open Vim automatically, which I think is too dangerous to do.
      Silent mode is different in that you should not ask for any user
      feedback once started.

      > If at all possible, IMHO a log should be produced for every installation,
      > silent or otherwise (and if the logfile already exists, append to it, maybe
      > with a datestamp first to separate successive logs).

      I agree install log is a nice thing to have. There's a few
      approaches to do it, but most of them needs whoever build Vim
      installer do something different (a custom build of NSIS, or add
      more plugins). I'll check if there's less intrusive way to do it.

      > Best regards,
      > Tony.

      Regards!
      Guopeng

    • Guopeng Wen
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
        On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Tux <der_tuxman@...> wrote:
        > Guopeng Wen schrob am 31.07.2010 17:34:
        >
        >>    When should installer do if it found Vim has already installed?
        >>    Vim instance still running?
        >
        > I would propose a message box that tells the user to exit Vim first and
        > continues the installation after clicking "OK" or something. It would be
        > the easiest way IMO.

        See my reply to Tony.

        > BTW while you're at it, what about a better sidebar banner? The existing
        > one looks rather boring. I'm not really good with GFX, but maybe someone
        > from this list could do it.

        That's the pristine banner from NSIS. Yes it's better to use a
        banner for Vim. I'm not good at artwork either, so, I'm expecting
        other talented guys to create one to be used in the installer.

        Regards!

        Guopeng

      • Guopeng Wen
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
          On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 11:57 PM, gongqian li <gongqian@...> wrote:
          > What about a portable version like the one created in
          > http://portableapps.com/news/2009-10-13_-_gvim_portable_7.2%c2%a0which doesn't
          > depend on windows registry? that will be really nice.

          I checked the web site you mentioned. It seems that's a different
          installation system (although it's based on NSIS, if I read
          correctly). That means if we build that installer, we may have to
          distributed two different installers for Windows. Please note I
          have not checked if its license allow us to distribute such
          installer directly or not. Anyway, it does not look like I can make
          the decision to include such installer in Vim distribution.

          That said, I assume you've tried that distribution yourself, I'm
          curious about whether it provides shell extension etc. or not. Does
          it provides context menu (the "Open with Vim" right mouse click
          menu)? If you run "gvim" directly from command line in any
          directory, could it launch Vim? Does it provide MS Visual Studio
          integration?

          If answer to all of those questions are no, maybe we can do emulate
          that by leaving out some components. But I'm afraid things are more
          complex than that.

          Regards!

          Guopeng

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2010
            On 01/08/10 09:50, Guopeng Wen wrote:
            > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Tux<der_tuxman@...> wrote:
            [...]
            >> BTW while you're at it, what about a better sidebar banner? The existing
            >> one looks rather boring. I'm not really good with GFX, but maybe someone
            >> from this list could do it.
            >
            > That's the pristine banner from NSIS. Yes it's better to use a
            > banner for Vim. I'm not good at artwork either, so, I'm expecting
            > other talented guys to create one to be used in the installer.
            >
            > Regards!
            >
            > Guopeng

            Boring or not, those graphics have the merit of being "consistent" with
            Windows installers for various programs. I think they are acceptable.

            If we want to design a specific image for Vim, IMHO it would have to
            - be based on the Vim "V" or "Vim" logo
            - not be so trendy that next year it'd be out of fashion
            - not make the text hard to read, not even for colour-blind people.
            The latter probably implies either (a) text outside the image, or (b)
            text inside the image, but on a relatively flat-coloured part of it, and
            in contrasting tones (white text on dark BG, black text on light BG, etc.).

            "He's not pining, he's passed on! This parrot won't squawk! He's
            ceased to be! He's expired, and gone to meet his maker! It's a
            stiff! No breath of life, he may rest in peace! If you hadn't nailed
            him to the perch, he'd be pushing up the daisies! He's off the twig!
            He's kicked the bucket! He's curled up his tooties! He's shuffled off
            this mortal world! He's run down the curtain, and joined the bleed'n
            Choir Invincible! HE'S FUCKING SNUFFED IT! Vis-a-vi his metabolic
            processes is head is lost. All statements concerning this parrot is no
            longer a going concern, after from now on, Inoperative...

            THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!