RE: syntax/r.vim

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31 6:11 PM
      Jakson A. Aquino wrote:
      > I tried to contact the maintainer of syntax/r.vim

      I can't help you with that, but by the way...

      We have a page on the wiki intended to list scripts relating
      to R (because they are impossible to search for):
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Script:List_of_R_Project_scripts

      John

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
        Jakson A. Aquino wrote:

        > I tried to contact the maintainer of syntax/r.vim by sending email to
        > both his address at the syntax/r.vim (13 days ago) and the one
        > published at http://uosis.mif.vu.lt/~zemlys (4 days ago). I didn't
        > get any reply. Chen Zhuojun also reports at
        > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2984 that the
        > maintainer of syntax/r.vim didn't reply to an attempt of contact.
        >
        > The filetype plugin that I maintain has a few improvements to R syntax
        > highlighting and I would be glad if all users could benefit from these
        > improvements and not just the ones who download the plugin. How should
        > I proceed? I submitted two scripts related to R some days ago to this
        > list but it seems that this is not a good moment to make big changes
        > in the runtime files.

        If a maintainer doesn't respond then we need to find someone to take
        over. If you want to do this, that's great.

        If the current version doesn't work, then replacing it with one that
        does work can be done right now. If your plugin adds a lot of features
        and the old one did work then we better postpone including it until
        after the 7.3 release.

        --
        The acknowledged parents of reengineering are Michael Hammer and James Champy.
        When I say they're the "parents" I don't mean they had sex - and I apologize

      • Jakson A. Aquino
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
          On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

          > Jakson A. Aquino wrote:
          >
          >> I tried to contact the maintainer of syntax/r.vim by sending email to
          >> both his address at the syntax/r.vim (13 days ago) and the one
          >> published at  http://uosis.mif.vu.lt/~zemlys (4 days ago). I didn't
          >> get any reply.  Chen Zhuojun also reports at
          >> http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2984 that the
          >> maintainer of syntax/r.vim didn't reply to an attempt of contact.
          >>
          >> The filetype plugin that I maintain has a few improvements to R syntax
          >> highlighting and I would be glad if all users could benefit from these
          >> improvements and not just the ones who download the plugin. How should
          >> I proceed? I submitted two scripts related to R some days ago to this
          >> list but it seems that this is not a good moment to make big changes
          >> in the runtime files.
          >
          > If a maintainer doesn't respond then we need to find someone to take
          > over.  If you want to do this, that's great.

          I would like to maintain the syntax/r.vim since I'm already doing this
          in my plugin.

          > If the current version doesn't work, then replacing it with one that
          > does work can be done right now.  If your plugin adds a lot of features
          > and the old one did work then we better postpone including it until
          > after the 7.3 release.

          The current version works well. My plugin adds just a few
          improvements. The most important are the specification of spell
          regions (comments and strings) and the highlighting of R functions,
          but this last feature is achieved by an additional file containing the
          list of all functions. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to add this
          list to the official Vim runtime because each new version of R
          includes new functions and exclude others. Moreover, each user loads a
          different set of R packages and, thus, the list of functions isn't the
          same for all users. I'll send a patch to the syntax/r.vim after the
          release of 7.3 if the current maintainer doesn't respond until the
          release.

          Thanks!

          Jakson Aquino

        • Jakson A. Aquino
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 25, 2010
            Hi,

            Some time ago I proposed a patch to syntax/r.vim, but Bram considered
            it would be better to apply the patch after the release of Vim 7.3.
            So, I'm sending the patch again. The previous discussion is archived
            here:

            http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/d89502034093191e/df231331f354dc7c

            Actually, the maintainer of syntax/r.vim replied to my email on
            August, 3, and he suggested that I should become the maintainer of the
            syntax/r.vim since I'm already maintaining a R plugin.

            Thanks,

            Jakson Aquino

          • Jakson A. Aquino
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2010
              On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

              > Jakson A. Aquino wrote:
              >
              >> Some time ago I proposed a patch to syntax/r.vim, but Bram considered
              >> it would be better to apply the patch after the release of Vim 7.3.
              >> So, I'm sending the patch again. The previous discussion is archived
              >> here:
              >>
              >> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/d89502034093191e/df231331f354dc7c
              >>
              >> Actually, the maintainer of syntax/r.vim replied to my email on
              >> August, 3, and he suggested that I should become the maintainer of the
              >> syntax/r.vim since I'm already maintaining a R plugin.
              >
              > If anybody sees a problem in this syntax file, let us know.  Otherwise
              > I'll include it.

              I noted that my patch has what may be a security weakness: the
              attempting of sourcing of a script that is not installed by default
              and which is part of the vim-r-plugin. I'm sending a new version
              without the "runtime" command. Because I changed the style of the
              r.vim script (basically the use of quotes instead of slashes) the diff
              file shows too many differences. So I'm sending both the diff and the
              syntax/r.vim itself.

              Best regards,

              Jakson