Re: suggestion: priority of rare words over good words

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2010
      Jakson A. Aquino wrote:

      > Vim is capable of highlighting rare words, but because good words have
      > priority, there is no effect if I mark some good words as rare. People
      > may want to classify words as rare not only because they are rare, but
      > also because they are rude or offensive. Sometimes, rare words might
      > be typed by mistake and, since they are correctly spelled, the mistake
      > will remain unnoticed. Off course I could simply mark theses words as
      > bad, but because they are correctly spelled I prefer to flag them as
      > rare. I have already made the change in my mercurial version of Vim's
      > source code, which is very convenient for me, but I think it would be
      > better for most users if rare words have priority over good words.
      > Currently there is no command to add words as rare (like zg to good
      > words and zw for bad ones), but we can add them manually to
      > spell/**.utf-8.add files.
      >
      > I'm sending the diff generated by mercurial with the proposed changes
      > for src/spell.c and runtime/doc/spell.txt. I think few users would
      > note the new default since certainly few people added a list of rare
      > words for their personal spell dictionaries. However, once Vim is
      > effectively capable of flagging words as rare, some people may start
      > to create and publish their lists of rare words.

      Thanks. Makes sense. I'll have a look at it later.

      --

      Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

    • Suraj Kurapati
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16
        On Friday, July 30, 2010 at 1:34:51 PM UTC-7, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Jakson A. Aquino wrote:
        >
        > > Vim is capable of highlighting rare words, but because good
        > > words have priority, there is no effect if I mark some good
        > > words as rare.
        > >
        > > I'm sending the diff generated by mercurial with the proposed
        > > changes for src/spell.c and runtime/doc/spell.txt.
        >
        > Thanks. Makes sense. I'll have a look at it later.

        Bram, is there any chance of this patch being accepted? It has been
        nearly five years since it was first submitted to this mailing list.

        This patch would allow users of the vim-wordy plugin to distinguish
        between normal misspellings and wordy writing. See [1] for details.

        Thanks for your consideration.

        [1]: https://github.com/reedes/vim-wordy/pull/15

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17
          Suraj Kurapati wrote:

          > On Friday, July 30, 2010 at 1:34:51 PM UTC-7, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > Jakson A. Aquino wrote:
          > >
          > > > Vim is capable of highlighting rare words, but because good
          > > > words have priority, there is no effect if I mark some good
          > > > words as rare.
          > > >
          > > > I'm sending the diff generated by mercurial with the proposed
          > > > changes for src/spell.c and runtime/doc/spell.txt.
          > >
          > > Thanks. Makes sense. I'll have a look at it later.
          >
          > Bram, is there any chance of this patch being accepted? It has been
          > nearly five years since it was first submitted to this mailing list.
          >
          > This patch would allow users of the vim-wordy plugin to distinguish
          > between normal misspellings and wordy writing. See [1] for details.
          >
          > Thanks for your consideration.
          >
          > [1]: https://github.com/reedes/vim-wordy/pull/15

          I'll move it up in the todo list. Unfortunately that list keeps
          growing...

          --
          If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
          When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.