Re: Should 2html generate valid CSS by default?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 29, 2010
      Benjamin Fritz wrote:

      > On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > The documentation clearly says:
      > >
      > > By default, HTML optimized for old browsers is generated. If you prefer using
      > > cascading style sheets (CSS1) for the attributes (resulting in considerably
      > > shorter and valid HTML 4 file), use: >
      > > :let g:html_use_css = 1
      > >
      > > We can change that to default to using CSS when the variable isn't set
      > > and tell users to use this to disable that:
      > >
      > > :let g:html_use_css = 0
      > >
      > > Any problems with that?
      > >

      > Well...it would be inconsistent with the other options, which will
      > remain enabled even if you :let them to zero. If I change this one, I
      > will want to change all options to work the same way. Each would do as
      > one might expect when :let to either zero or 1, with a default
      > behavior noted in the :help when they are not defined at all.

      We also don't want to make it incompatible from previous versions
      without a good reason.

      Using "unlet g:html_use_css" to disable using CSS is certainly a bad
      idea. It conflicts with the previous meaning.

      Having both a g:html_use_css and g:html_no_css variable gets confusing.
      A user may set one and forget about the other, then needs to read
      documentation to find out which one prevails.

      We should require a variable not only to exist but also be not zero.
      I think the documentation already explains it that way. Some code may
      not check the value, there is no real need to change that.

      --
      DENNIS: You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some
      watery tart threw a sword at you!