Vim 7.3a ready for beta testing

    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 18, 2010
      Hello Vim users,

      Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3a BETA

      This is a BETA release of Vim 7.3. It consists of Vim 7.2 plus all
      patches, updated runtime files and some more.

      7.3a both includes lots of fixes and a few new features. Everything
      needs to be tested to verify no new problems have been introduced.

      Please report every problem you find! The time until a 7.3 release
      depends on how many problems are reported.

      The biggest additions since 7.2:
      - Persistent undo
      - Blowfish encryption, also encrypt the swap file
      - Conceal text
      - Lua interface
      - Python 3 interface

      Once you have installed Vim 7.3a BETA you can find details about the
      changes since Vim 7.2 with:
      :help version-7.3

      Known problem: The MS-Windows self-installing executable sets the wrong
      path for the uninstaller. You can uninstall Vim through the menu:
      Start/All Programs/Vim 7.3a/Uninstall

      Testing
      -------

      Please especially test the persistent undo and encryption. These need
      to work reliably.

      Report anything that isn't right. That includes a crash but also a typo
      in the documentation.

      Gratitude
      ---------

      If you like Vim, this is the way to say thanks:
      http://iccf-holland.org/clinic.html

      Where to get it
      ---------------

      The best way to obtain the latest Vim 7.3 is using Mercurial.
      cd vim
      hg update vim73
      More information here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php

      All files can be found below this directory:
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/

      Information about which files to download for what system (don't use the
      links, they are still for Vim 7.2):
      http://www.vim.org/download.php

      A list of mirror sites can be found here:
      http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php

      An overview of the files below "unstable":

      UNIX:
      unix/vim-7.3a.tar.bz2 sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed

      MS-WINDOWS one-size-fits-all:
      pc/gvim73a.exe self-installing, includes all runtime files

      VARIOUS:
      doc/vim73ahtml.zip help files converted to HTML

      MS-WINDOWS separate files:
      pc/vim73art.zip runtime files
      pc/gvim73a.zip GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP
      pc/gvim73aole.zip GUI binary with OLE support
      pc/gvim73a_s.zip GUI binary for Windows 3.1 (untested)
      pc/vim73ad32.zip console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
      pc/vim73aw32.zip console version for Windows NT/2000/XP
      pc/vim73asrc.zip sources for PC (with CR-LF)

      DIFFS TO PREVIOUS RELEASE:
      unix/vim-7.2-7.3a.diff.gz sources + runtime files

      Omitted in this version are:
      - Extra and lang archives, these are now included in the main source
      and runtime archives.
      - The 16-bit DOS version, I could not build it.
      - OS/2 and Amiga versions, these are obsolete.

      Mailing lists

      Subject specific lists:
      Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
      Macintosh issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac

      Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
      already have given the answer.

      Reporting bugs
      --------------

      Send them to <vim-dev@...>. Please describe the problem precisely.
      All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
      spent on improving Vim! Always give a reproducible example and try to
      find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
      bug. Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE". Try
      different machines if possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim. Send me a
      patch if you can!

      Happy Vimming!

      --
      ARTHUR: Shut up! Will you shut up!
      DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.

    • James Vega
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 19, 2010
        On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
        > The biggest additions since 7.2:
        > - Persistent undo
        > - Blowfish encryption, also encrypt the swap file
        > - Conceal text
        > - Lua interface
        > - Python 3 interface

        Since Vim keeps gaining support for more language interfaces, is there a
        reason not to make them all dynamically loaded? This already happens on
        Windows and on configure-using systems where Python 2 and Python 3
        support are enabled at the same time.

        I would find this quite useful from my stance as the maintainer for the
        Vim packages in Debian since that would allow me to enable the language
        bindings in more packages (and enable more languages) without forcing
        the users to install those libraries in order for Vim to run. As it
        currently stands, I don't build the mzscheme interface and don't plan to
        build the lua or python3 interfaces.

        If changing the language interfaces to dynamic loading is something that
        would be accepted for 7.3, I'd be willing to work on the patches. I
        already have a first pass at doing so for the Perl interface.

        --
        James

        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 19, 2010
          James Vega wrote:

          > On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
          > > The biggest additions since 7.2:
          > > - Persistent undo
          > > - Blowfish encryption, also encrypt the swap file
          > > - Conceal text
          > > - Lua interface
          > > - Python 3 interface
          >
          > Since Vim keeps gaining support for more language interfaces, is there a
          > reason not to make them all dynamically loaded? This already happens on
          > Windows and on configure-using systems where Python 2 and Python 3
          > support are enabled at the same time.
          >
          > I would find this quite useful from my stance as the maintainer for the
          > Vim packages in Debian since that would allow me to enable the language
          > bindings in more packages (and enable more languages) without forcing
          > the users to install those libraries in order for Vim to run. As it
          > currently stands, I don't build the mzscheme interface and don't plan to
          > build the lua or python3 interfaces.
          >
          > If changing the language interfaces to dynamic loading is something that
          > would be accepted for 7.3, I'd be willing to work on the patches. I
          > already have a first pass at doing so for the Perl interface.

          Most Unix systems already use shared libraries. That still means the
          libraries need to be installed for Vim to startup, but memory use is
          reduced a lot.

          I'm not sure if this works everywhere. Also, it increases the chance of
          runtime failure, instead of failing on startup.

          I see the current dynamic loading when both Python and Python 3 are
          supported an experiment. Let's see how this goes.

          If you can make this work with a configure argument, it's fine to
          include these changes and leave them disabled by default. For your
          distribution, with a known environment, you could enable them.

          --
          5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions.

        • Dominique Pellé
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 19, 2010
            Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Please report every problem you find!  The time until a 7.3 release
            > depends on how many problems are reported.

            Attached patch fixes a few typos in help files.

            -- Dominique

          • James Vega
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 20, 2010
              On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
              > If you can make this work with a configure argument, it's fine to
              > include these changes and leave them disabled by default.  For your
              > distribution, with a known environment, you could enable them.

              Attached patch enables dynamic loading for Perl if
              --enable-perlinterp=dynamic is used. I also moved the use of
              PERL_CFLAGS in src/Makefile so they're only used when compiling
              if_perl.c and if_perlsfio.c.

              --
              James

            • mikeyao
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 20, 2010
                Why not javascript interface ?

                The code has developed.

                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 21, 2010
                  Mikeyao (?) wrote:

                  > Why not javascript interface ?
                  >
                  > The code has developed.

                  I haven't actually heard from someone using it.

                  Also, I have no idea why someone would want to write plugins in
                  Javascript. Perhaps because it's the only language someone knows?

                  --
                  Vi beats Emacs to death, and then again!
                  http://linuxtoday.com/stories/5764.html

                • mikeyao
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 21, 2010
                    Vim support many languages interface and I just found new lua
                    interface added in 7.3. I think most programmers know javascript and
                    like it, it's going to mainstream.
                    Many web developers using vim, they know javascript well.

                    On Jul 21, 5:38 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                    > Mikeyao (?) wrote:
                    > > Why not javascript interface ?
                    >
                    > > The code has developed.
                    > >http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2375
                    >
                    > I haven't actually heard from someone using it.
                    >
                    > Also, I have no idea why someone would want to write plugins in
                    > Javascript.  Perhaps because it's the only language someone knows?
                    >
                    > --
                    > Vi beats Emacs to death, and then again!
                    >                        http://linuxtoday.com/stories/5764.html
                    >
                    >  /// Bram Moolenaar -- B...@... --http://www.Moolenaar.net  \\\
                    > ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features --http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/\\\
                    > \\\        download, build and distribute --http://www.A-A-P.org       ///
                    >  \\\            help me help AIDS victims --http://ICCF-Holland.org   ///

                  • Matt Wozniski
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 21, 2010
                      Please bottom post on this list... I'm reformatting...

                      On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 6:05 AM, mikeyao <yaoweizhen@...> wrote:
                      > On Jul 21, 5:38 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                      >> Mikeyao (?) wrote:
                      >> > Why not javascript interface ?
                      >>
                      >> > The code has developed.
                      >> >http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2375
                      >>
                      >> I haven't actually heard from someone using it.
                      >>
                      >> Also, I have no idea why someone would want to write plugins in
                      >> Javascript.  Perhaps because it's the only language someone knows?
                      >
                      > Vim support many languages interface and I just found new lua
                      > interface added in 7.3. I think most programmers know javascript and
                      > like it, it's going to mainstream.
                      > Many web developers using vim, they know javascript well.

                      I haven't tried the JS interface patch, but I definitely would like to
                      see a javascript interface. I don't know Lua, TCL or Ruby (though I
                      intend to learn the latter one day), I don't like to use Perl or
                      Python for anything more than a few dozen lines, and I hate Scheme
                      almost as much as Lisp. Javascript is a powerful, easy to learn,
                      multi-paradigm language that was designed for embedding, so I think
                      it's a perfect fit for a Vim interface - and I personally would be
                      more likely to use it than any of the other interfaces.

                      ~Matt

                    • Yukihiro Nakadaira
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 21, 2010
                        On 2010年07月22日 00:03, Matt Wozniski wrote:
                        > Please bottom post on this list... I'm reformatting...
                        >
                        > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 6:05 AM, mikeyao<yaoweizhen@...> wrote:

                        >>> I haven't actually heard from someone using it.
                        >>>
                        >>> Also, I have no idea why someone would want to write plugins in
                        >>> Javascript. Perhaps because it's the only language someone knows?
                        >>
                        >> Vim support many languages interface and I just found new lua
                        >> interface added in 7.3. I think most programmers know javascript and
                        >> like it, it's going to mainstream.
                        >> Many web developers using vim, they know javascript well.
                        >
                        > I haven't tried the JS interface patch, but I definitely would like to
                        > see a javascript interface. I don't know Lua, TCL or Ruby (though I
                        > intend to learn the latter one day), I don't like to use Perl or
                        > Python for anything more than a few dozen lines, and I hate Scheme
                        > almost as much as Lisp. Javascript is a powerful, easy to learn,
                        > multi-paradigm language that was designed for embedding, so I think
                        > it's a perfect fit for a Vim interface - and I personally would be
                        > more likely to use it than any of the other interfaces.

                        if_v8 is a bit different from other if_*. It is not written as patch
                        for mainline.

                        My main goal of if_v8 plugin is to create a pluggable extension and to
                        find what is required and what is good way for it.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 21, 2010
                          Mikeyao wrote:

                          > Vim support many languages interface and I just found new lua
                          > interface added in 7.3. I think most programmers know javascript and
                          > like it, it's going to mainstream.
                          > Many web developers using vim, they know javascript well.

                          The reason people write Javascript is because it's the only choice for
                          making applications run in a browser. Otherwise it's not a very good
                          language. I can't think of any good reason to write Vim plugins in
                          Javascript instead of a decent language, such as Python.

                          --
                          The Law of VIM:
                          For each member b of the possible behaviour space B of program P, there exists

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 21, 2010
                            James Vega wrote:

                            > On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
                            > > If you can make this work with a configure argument, it's fine to
                            > > include these changes and leave them disabled by default. For your
                            > > distribution, with a known environment, you could enable them.
                            >
                            > Attached patch enables dynamic loading for Perl if
                            > --enable-perlinterp=dynamic is used. I also moved the use of
                            > PERL_CFLAGS in src/Makefile so they're only used when compiling
                            > if_perl.c and if_perlsfio.c.

                            Looks good. I tried it and it works fine for me. I had to move some
                            unused variables inside an #ifdef.

                            I suppose it will now be easy to support --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic
                            and --enable-python3interp=dynamic

                            We could wait for people to test this, but on the other hand if we want
                            to do the same for ruby/tcl/mzscheme we need to do it now, next week I
                            won't include patches like this.

                            --
                            TIM: That is not an ordinary rabbit ... 'tis the most foul cruel and
                            bad-tempered thing you ever set eyes on.

                          • Christian J. Robinson
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 21, 2010
                              On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

                              > We could wait for people to test this, but on the other hand if we
                              > want to do the same for ruby/tcl/mzscheme we need to do it now, next
                              > week I won't include patches like this.

                              It broke compiling using Make_cyg.mak for me. (Just to be sure I did
                              an "hg update -C".)

                              % hg summary
                              parent: 2369:454f314d0e61 tip
                              Make it possible to load Perl dynamically on Unix. (James Vega)
                              branch: vim73
                              commit: 4 modified, 9 unknown
                              update: (current)

                              % make -f Make_cyg.mak PERL=/cygdrive/c/strawberry/perl
                              DYNAMIC_PERL=yes OLE=yes FEATURES=BIG
                              gcc-3 -c -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -freg-struct-return
                              -fno-strength-reduce -DWIN32 -DHAVE_PATHDEF -DFEAT_BIG -DWINVER=0x0400
                              -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0400 -DFEAT_PERL -DDYNAMIC_PERL
                              -DDYNAMIC_PERL_DLL=\"perl512.dll\" -DDYNAMIC_GETTEXT -DDYNAMIC_ICONV
                              -DFEAT_MBYTE -DFEAT_MBYTE_IME -DDYNAMIC_IME -DFEAT_CSCOPE
                              -DFEAT_NETBEANS_INTG -DFEAT_GUI_W32 -DFEAT_CLIPBOARD -DFEAT_OLE
                              -march=i386 -Iproto -I/cygdrive/c/strawberry/perl/lib/CORE -s
                              -mno-cygwin if_perl.c -o gobj/if_perl.o
                              if_perl.xs:101:19: dlfcn.h: No such file or directory
                              if_perl.xs: In function `perl_runtime_link_init':
                              if_perl.xs:450: error: `RTLD_LAZY' undeclared (first use in this function)
                              if_perl.xs:450: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
                              if_perl.xs:450: error: for each function it appears in.)
                              if_perl.xs:450: error: `RTLD_GLOBAL' undeclared (first use in this function)
                              if_perl.xs:450: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
                              if_perl.xs:459: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
                              make: *** [gobj/if_perl.o] Error 1

                              - Christian

                              --
                              Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...>

                            • Tony Mechelynck
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 21, 2010
                                On 21/07/10 22:08, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                                > James Vega wrote:
                                >
                                >> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Bram Moolenaar<Bram@...> wrote:
                                >>> If you can make this work with a configure argument, it's fine to
                                >>> include these changes and leave them disabled by default. For your
                                >>> distribution, with a known environment, you could enable them.
                                >>
                                >> Attached patch enables dynamic loading for Perl if
                                >> --enable-perlinterp=dynamic is used. I also moved the use of
                                >> PERL_CFLAGS in src/Makefile so they're only used when compiling
                                >> if_perl.c and if_perlsfio.c.
                                >
                                > Looks good. I tried it and it works fine for me. I had to move some
                                > unused variables inside an #ifdef.
                                >
                                > I suppose it will now be easy to support --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic
                                > and --enable-python3interp=dynamic
                                >
                                > We could wait for people to test this, but on the other hand if we want
                                > to do the same for ruby/tcl/mzscheme we need to do it now, next week I
                                > won't include patches like this.

                                Hm, just for my edification, what will happen if an "older" version of
                                configure encounters --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic ?

                                treat as =yes (or empty)
                                treat as =no (or --disable-pythoninterp)
                                throw an error and stop the make at that point (or if not run by make,
                                exit with nonzero exitcode)

                                ?

                                "If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars."
                                -- J. Paul Getty

                              • James Vega
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 21, 2010
                                  On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Christian J. Robinson
                                  <heptite@...> wrote:
                                  > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> We could wait for people to test this, but on the other hand if we
                                  >> want to do the same for ruby/tcl/mzscheme we need to do it now, next
                                  >> week I won't include patches like this.
                                  >
                                  > It broke compiling using Make_cyg.mak for me.  (Just to be sure I did
                                  > an "hg update -C".)

                                  Oops. Looks like I was using the wrong "building on Windows" check.
                                  The attached patch should fix it, as that's what the Python modules are
                                  using.

                                  --
                                  James

                                • James Vega
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 21, 2010
                                    On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Tony Mechelynck
                                    <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                                    > On 21/07/10 22:08, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> James Vega wrote:

                                    >>> Attached patch enables dynamic loading for Perl if
                                    >>> --enable-perlinterp=dynamic is used.  I also moved the use of
                                    >>> PERL_CFLAGS in src/Makefile so they're only used when compiling
                                    >>> if_perl.c and if_perlsfio.c.
                                    >>
                                    >> Looks good.  I tried it and it works fine for me.  I had to move some
                                    >> unused variables inside an #ifdef.
                                    >>
                                    >> I suppose it will now be easy to support --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic
                                    >> and --enable-python3interp=dynamic
                                    >>
                                    >> We could wait for people to test this, but on the other hand if we want
                                    >> to do the same for ruby/tcl/mzscheme we need to do it now, next week I
                                    >> won't include patches like this.
                                    >>

                                    > Hm, just for my edification, what will happen if an "older" version of
                                    > configure encounters --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic ?
                                    >
                                    >        treat as =yes (or empty)
                                    >        treat as =no (or --disable-pythoninterp)
                                    >        throw an error and stop the make at that point (or if not run by
                                    > make, exit with nonzero exitcode)

                                    The configure script currently only tries to build the python/python3
                                    interfaces if --enable-pythoninterp=yes is given (--enable-pythoninterp
                                    with no arguments is the same as specifying =yes). Anything else is
                                    treated as =no.

                                    --
                                    James

                                  • Christian J. Robinson
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 21, 2010
                                      On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:41 PM, James Vega <jamessan@...> wrote:
                                      > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Christian J. Robinson
                                      > <heptite@...> wrote:
                                      >> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
                                      >>>
                                      >>> We could wait for people to test this, but on the other hand if we
                                      >>> want to do the same for ruby/tcl/mzscheme we need to do it now, next
                                      >>> week I won't include patches like this.
                                      >>
                                      >> It broke compiling using Make_cyg.mak for me.  (Just to be sure I did
                                      >> an "hg update -C".)
                                      >
                                      > Oops.  Looks like I was using the wrong "building on Windows" check.
                                      > The attached patch should fix it, as that's what the Python modules are
                                      > using.

                                      Yes, this fixed it. Thank you.

                                      --
                                      Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...>

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 22, 2010
                                        James Vega wrote:

                                        > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Christian J. Robinson
                                        > <heptite@...> wrote:
                                        > > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
                                        > >>
                                        > >> We could wait for people to test this, but on the other hand if we
                                        > >> want to do the same for ruby/tcl/mzscheme we need to do it now, next
                                        > >> week I won't include patches like this.
                                        > >
                                        > > It broke compiling using Make_cyg.mak for me. (Just to be sure I did
                                        > > an "hg update -C".)
                                        >
                                        > Oops. Looks like I was using the wrong "building on Windows" check.
                                        > The attached patch should fix it, as that's what the Python modules are
                                        > using.

                                        Thanks. I think using WIN3264 is a little bit better. Trying to avoid
                                        all the different symbols that compiler define and use the one defined
                                        in vim.h.

                                        I have included this change now.

                                        --
                                        ROBIN: The what?
                                        ARTHUR: The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. 'Tis one of the sacred relics

                                      • Luis Carvalho
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 22, 2010
                                          Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                          <snip>
                                          > I suppose it will now be easy to support --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic
                                          > and --enable-python3interp=dynamic
                                          >
                                          > We could wait for people to test this, but on the other hand if we want
                                          > to do the same for ruby/tcl/mzscheme we need to do it now, next week I
                                          > won't include patches like this.

                                          In the same vein, I'll attaching a patch that adds dynamic support for the Lua
                                          interface. I won't be able to test it in Windows until next week. I'm taking
                                          the opportunity to also patch the help file.

                                          Cheers,
                                          Luis

                                          -- Pablo Picasso

                                          --
                                          Luis Carvalho (Kozure)
                                          lua -e 'print((("lexcarvalho@..."):gsub("(%u+%.)","")))'

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 22, 2010
                                            Luis Carvalho wrote:

                                            > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                            > <snip>
                                            > > I suppose it will now be easy to support --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic
                                            > > and --enable-python3interp=dynamic
                                            > >
                                            > > We could wait for people to test this, but on the other hand if we want
                                            > > to do the same for ruby/tcl/mzscheme we need to do it now, next week I
                                            > > won't include patches like this.
                                            >
                                            > In the same vein, I'll attaching a patch that adds dynamic support for
                                            > the Lua interface. I won't be able to test it in Windows until next
                                            > week. I'm taking the opportunity to also patch the help file.

                                            Thanks, I'll include it.

                                            I don't mind if the Lua interface is broken, before this release there
                                            was nothing anyway.

                                            --
                                            An indication you must be a manager:
                                            You believe you never have any problems in your life, just

                                          • björn
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 22, 2010
                                              Hi,

                                              Dynamic loading of Perl does not work on Mac OS X. I did some digging
                                              around and the problem is that dlopen() doesn't find "libperl.dylib".
                                              Apparently this dylib is hidden under

                                              /System/Library/Perl/lib/5.10/libperl.dylib

                                              The easy fix would be to patch configure.in to include the full path
                                              when setting DYNAMIC_PERL_DLL instead of just "libperl.dylib", but I
                                              don't know how to get the path. Is there some "Perl-way" of doing
                                              this? (I tried using $vi_cv_perllib but it points to the wrong
                                              directory.)

                                              Björn

                                            • James Vega
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 24, 2010
                                                On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:39:38AM -0300, Luis Carvalho wrote:
                                                > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                                > <snip>
                                                > > I suppose it will now be easy to support --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic
                                                > > and --enable-python3interp=dynamic
                                                > >
                                                > > We could wait for people to test this, but on the other hand if we want
                                                > > to do the same for ruby/tcl/mzscheme we need to do it now, next week I
                                                > > won't include patches like this.
                                                >
                                                > In the same vein, I'll attaching a patch that adds dynamic support for the Lua
                                                > interface. I won't be able to test it in Windows until next week. I'm taking
                                                > the opportunity to also patch the help file.

                                                Attached is a patch to use the SONAME-versioned liblua, if it exists,
                                                for dlopen. The patch also changes how the version is determined to be
                                                more robust against future versions which are longer than 5.1, 5.0, etc.

                                                --
                                                James
                                              • James Vega
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 24, 2010
                                                  On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 11:44:09PM -0400, James Vega wrote:
                                                  > On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:39:38AM -0300, Luis Carvalho wrote:
                                                  > > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                                  > > <snip>
                                                  > > > I suppose it will now be easy to support --enable-pythoninterp=dynamic
                                                  > > > and --enable-python3interp=dynamic
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > We could wait for people to test this, but on the other hand if we want
                                                  > > > to do the same for ruby/tcl/mzscheme we need to do it now, next week I
                                                  > > > won't include patches like this.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > In the same vein, I'll attaching a patch that adds dynamic support for the Lua
                                                  > > interface. I won't be able to test it in Windows until next week. I'm taking
                                                  > > the opportunity to also patch the help file.
                                                  >
                                                  > Attached is a patch to use the SONAME-versioned liblua, if it exists,
                                                  > for dlopen. The patch also changes how the version is determined to be
                                                  > more robust against future versions which are longer than 5.1, 5.0, etc.

                                                  Attached.

                                                  --
                                                  James
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jul 25, 2010
                                                    James Vega wrote:

                                                    > On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 11:44:09PM -0400, James Vega wrote:
                                                    > > On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:39:38AM -0300, Luis Carvalho wrote:
                                                    > > > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                                    > > > <snip>

                                                    > > > In the same vein, I'll attaching a patch that adds dynamic support for the Lua
                                                    > > > interface. I won't be able to test it in Windows until next week. I'm taking
                                                    > > > the opportunity to also patch the help file.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Attached is a patch to use the SONAME-versioned liblua, if it exists,
                                                    > > for dlopen. The patch also changes how the version is determined to be
                                                    > > more robust against future versions which are longer than 5.1, 5.0, etc.
                                                    >
                                                    > Attached.

                                                    Included, thanks.

                                                    --
                                                    Zen Microsystems: we're the om in .commmmmmmmm

                                                  • Patrick Texier
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jul 25, 2010
                                                      Le Sun, 18 Jul 2010 22:51:51 +0200, Bram Moolenaar a écrit dans le
                                                      message <201007182051.o6IKppER028068@...> :

                                                      > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3a BETA

                                                      Thanks Bram and all working for this version. rnu is a very good idea.
                                                      I can compile with Borland C++ 5.5 / Win 98 (huge + perl).

                                                      Attached patch explains a variable for LifeLines syntax coloring.
                                                      --
                                                      Patrick Texier

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jul 25, 2010
                                                        Patrick Texier wrote:

                                                        > Le Sun, 18 Jul 2010 22:51:51 +0200, Bram Moolenaar a écrit dans le
                                                        > message <201007182051.o6IKppER028068@...> :
                                                        >
                                                        > > Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 7.3a BETA
                                                        >
                                                        > Thanks Bram and all working for this version. rnu is a very good idea.
                                                        > I can compile with Borland C++ 5.5 / Win 98 (huge + perl).
                                                        >
                                                        > Attached patch explains a variable for LifeLines syntax coloring.

                                                        Thanks.

                                                        Next version coming up...

                                                        --
                                                        Lawmakers made it obligatory for everybody to take at least one bath
                                                        each week -- on Saturday night.

                                                      • David Wilhelm
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
                                                          Bram Moolenaar <Bram <at> Moolenaar.net> writes:

                                                          > Mikeyao wrote:
                                                          >
                                                          > > Vim support many languages interface and I just found new lua
                                                          > > interface added in 7.3. I think most programmers know javascript and
                                                          > > like it, it's going to mainstream.
                                                          > > Many web developers using vim, they know javascript well.
                                                          >
                                                          > The reason people write Javascript is because it's the only choice for
                                                          > making applications run in a browser. Otherwise it's not a very good
                                                          > language. I can't think of any good reason to write Vim plugins in
                                                          > Javascript instead of a decent language, such as Python.

                                                          I just wanted to add my support to the idea of adding Javascript bindings.
                                                          I love Vim, and I love Javascript. I would very much like to use it to write
                                                          Vim scripts. I suspect I am not alone.

                                                        • Ben Fritz
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
                                                            On Sep 7, 10:26 pm, David Wilhelm <dewilh...@...> wrote:
                                                            > > The reason people write Javascript is because it's the only choice for
                                                            > > making applications run in a browser.  Otherwise it's not a very good
                                                            > > language.  I can't think of any good reason to write Vim plugins in
                                                            > > Javascript instead of a decent language, such as Python.
                                                            >
                                                            > I just wanted to add my support to the idea of adding Javascript bindings.
                                                            > I love Vim, and I love Javascript. I would very much like to use it to write
                                                            > Vim scripts. I suspect I am not alone.

                                                            For what it's worth, other editors (notably to my knowledge,
                                                            UltraEdit) use Javascript or a Javascript-based language for their
                                                            scripting.

                                                            Personally, I never use scripting languages other than vimscript for
                                                            controlling Vim, and find it a hassle to install one for the sake of a
                                                            plugin. I haven't found a plugin yet which uses another scripting
                                                            language and I've wanted enough to try installing it. Of course, I
                                                            have installed fewer than a dozen plugins total, so maybe I'm not the
                                                            target audience for such plugins anyway.