synstack() in insert mode

  • Marcin Szamotulski
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2010
      Hello,

      Trying to make a nice feature for editing LaTeX document for
      AutomaticTexPlugin:
      I run into the following problem:

      I would like to call synstack() function using autocommand with group
      CursorMovedI, thus in the insert mode. But then synstack() returns 0 instead
      of [] when there is no syntax group at the cursor position.

      The same thing happens when I try to use synstack function in a completion
      function which is mapped using <Ctrl-R>= ... or if I use vim option
      'completefunc'.

      Best regards,
      Marcin Szamotulski

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2010
        On 05/07/10 21:02, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Trying to make a nice feature for editing LaTeX document for
        > AutomaticTexPlugin:
        > I run into the following problem:
        >
        > I would like to call synstack() function using autocommand with group
        > CursorMovedI, thus in the insert mode. But then synstack() returns 0 instead
        > of [] when there is no syntax group at the cursor position.
        >
        > The same thing happens when I try to use synstack function in a completion
        > function which is mapped using<Ctrl-R>= ... or if I use vim option
        > 'completefunc'.
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Marcin Szamotulski

        Works for me. After typing the following in Normal mode:

        :set cmdheight=2
        :augroup test|exe "au CursorMovedI * echo synstack(line('.'),
        col('.'))"|augroup END

        every Insert-mode cursor move (where no syntax items are defined)
        displays [] below the bottom status line.

        I tested this using both Vim 7.2.444 and a freshly-compiled Vim 7.3a
        (revision 69064995302a dated Mon Jul 05 22:57:59 2010 +0200).

        A tautology is a thing which is tautological.