Re: xembed options for vim?

  • Aljosa Mohorovic
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
      On Jul 1, 6:10 pm, Marc Weber <marco-owe...@...> wrote:
      > I still don't understand? Do you want to replace text fields in HTML
      > documents by Vim ? That would be awesome!

      no, i just want to embed another application into vim window.
      you can completely forget that i mentioned html5, if xembed (or some
      similar technology) works in vim anything can be displayed.

      > Give more details about your idea then. Do you want to have a special
      > buffer which is kind of X display?

      i think it's been discussed before but yes, i want a buffer/window/
      anything inside vim that can render more advanced gui elements.
      since gvim uses gtk is it possible to display other gtk elements
      inside gvim window?

      > The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
      > other X application.

      could you point me to an existing example?

      Aljosa

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
        Excerpts from Aljosa Mohorovic's message of Fri Jul 02 01:26:37 +0200 2010:
        > On Jul 1, 6:10 pm, Marc Weber <marco-owe...@...> wrote:
        > > I still don't understand? Do you want to replace text fields in HTML
        > > documents by Vim ? That would be awesome!
        >
        > no, i just want to embed another application into vim window.
        > you can completely forget that i mentioned html5, if xembed (or some
        > similar technology) works in vim anything can be displayed.
        Sorry I was off topic.

        > > Give more details about your idea then. Do you want to have a special
        > > buffer which is kind of X display?
        > i think it's been discussed before but yes, i want a buffer/window/
        > anything inside vim that can render more advanced gui elements.
        > since gvim uses gtk is it possible to display other gtk elements
        > inside gvim window?
        If you hack gvim then yes.
        However I think you can't touch the main typing area easily because it
        basically is a terminal or such.

        > > The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
        > > other X application.
        > could you point me to an existing example?
        I don't have one. I mean you could create a gtk/qt app

        +========================+
        | TITLE |
        +========================+
        | | |
        | VIM | YOUR |
        | | GUI |
        | | |
        +========================+

        Then you have to xembed vim at the left and tell it how to display a gui
        at the right (maybe using xembed again).
        I never used xembed so I don't know exactly how it works. glancing at
        some docs found by google it seemed to me being possible.

        Marc Weber

      • Andy Spencer
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
          On 2010-07-02 03:33, Marc Weber wrote:
          > Excerpts from Aljosa Mohorovic's message of Fri Jul 02 01:26:37 +0200 2010:
          > > i think it's been discussed before but yes, i want a buffer/window/
          > > anything inside vim that can render more advanced gui elements.
          > > since gvim uses gtk is it possible to display other gtk elements
          > > inside gvim window?
          >
          > If you hack gvim then yes.
          > However I think you can't touch the main typing area easily because it
          > basically is a terminal or such.

          Agreed, if I remember correctly, even the GTK "tabs" aren't really tabs,
          but more like buttons that tell the main vim window which "tab" it
          should display.

          On 2010-07-02 16:26, Aljosa Mohorovic wrote:
          > On Jul 1, 6:10?pm, Marc Weber <marco-owe...@...> wrote:
          > > The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
          > > other X application.
          >
          > could you point me to an existing example?

          This will work, and it's pretty easy to do, I've attached a simple
          example using GtkSocket. What you won't be able to do is treat your GUI
          as a "vim window", e.g.:

          +========================+
          | TITLE |
          +========================+
          | | YOUR |
          | VIM | GUI |
          | |------------|
          | | |
          |-----------| VIM |
          | VIM | |
          +========================+

        • Aljosa Mohorovic
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 30, 2010
            i've used "--servername" and "--socketid" to embed gvim into a qt app
            but with no success.
            i can normally embed xterm using this code but with gvim nothing
            happens although if i use no args (for gvim process) it normally opens
            gvim outside of qt app.
            any ideas/tips?

            Aljosa Mohorovic

            python/qt code:
            # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
            import atexit
            import sys

            from PyQt4.QtCore import *
            from PyQt4.QtGui import *

            class GVim(QX11EmbedContainer):
            def __init__(self, parent):
            QX11EmbedContainer.__init__(self, parent)
            self.process = QProcess(self)
            self.connect(self.process,
            SIGNAL("finished(int, QProcess::ExitStatus)"),
            self.on_cmd_close)
            atexit.register(self.kill)

            def kill(self):
            self.process.kill()
            self.process.waitForFinished()

            def show_cmd(self):
            args = ["--servername", "%d" % self.winId(), "--socketid",
            "%d" % self.winId()]
            # args = []
            print args

            self.process.start("gvim", args)

            print "error:", self.process.error()
            if self.process.error() == QProcess.FailedToStart:
            print "cmd not installed"

            def on_cmd_close(self, exit_code, exit_status):
            print "close", exit_code, exit_status
            self.close()

            if __name__ == "__main__":
            app = QApplication(sys.argv)

            widget = QMainWindow()
            cmd = GVim(widget)
            cmd.show_cmd()
            cmd.resize(500,500)

            widget.resize(800,800)
            widget.show()

            sys.exit(app.exec_())

          • Tony Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 30, 2010
              On 30/07/10 18:10, Aljosa Mohorovic wrote:
              > i've used "--servername" and "--socketid" to embed gvim into a qt app
              > but with no success.
              > i can normally embed xterm using this code but with gvim nothing
              > happens although if i use no args (for gvim process) it normally opens
              > gvim outside of qt app.
              > any ideas/tips?
              >
              > Aljosa Mohorovic

              IIRC, to embed Vim in a Qt app (for instance in a Konqueror tab) you
              needed a Qt Vim: that would have meant kvim, which however stopped being
              maintained when it was at some patchlevel of Vim 6.1. If you have access
              to some old KDE3 release from a few years ago, it might be included.

              The trouble with superheros is what to do between phone booths.
              -- Ken Kesey