Re: xembed options for vim?

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
      > i was interested in http://yzis.org if that's what you mean but like
      > many other projects it died.
      Yes. That was the name.

      > > You should talk about the overall problem you're faced with. Maybe you
      > > get more hints then.
      > i prefer vim over anything (i ever used or still using) but it would
      > make my life easier if i could embed external app into vim.
      > specifically i would like to be able to render a widget with webkit
      > capabilities and communicate with that window/widget via python
      > plugin.

      I still don't understand? Do you want to replace text fields in HTML
      documents by Vim ? That would be awesome!

      Can you create a small pic illustrating how the result should look like?

      Does this mean you could embed vim into html pages?
      https://developer.mozilla.org/en/XEmbed_Extension_for_Mozilla_Plugins

      > any idea if something like this is possible or is planed for a future
      > vim release?
      > also, any other approach or ideas would be appreciated.
      Give more details about your idea then. Do you want to have a special
      buffer which is kind of X display?
      The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
      other X application.

      > also, i understand that something like this would decrease vim
      > performance but i also expect that eventually vim should be able to
      > provide better integration with modern ui widgets for vim plugins.
      Vim is a historically grown editor I love and hate it. I use it for
      everything which counts more :)

      Marc Weber

    • Aljosa Mohorovic
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
        On Jul 1, 6:10 pm, Marc Weber <marco-owe...@...> wrote:
        > I still don't understand? Do you want to replace text fields in HTML
        > documents by Vim ? That would be awesome!

        no, i just want to embed another application into vim window.
        you can completely forget that i mentioned html5, if xembed (or some
        similar technology) works in vim anything can be displayed.

        > Give more details about your idea then. Do you want to have a special
        > buffer which is kind of X display?

        i think it's been discussed before but yes, i want a buffer/window/
        anything inside vim that can render more advanced gui elements.
        since gvim uses gtk is it possible to display other gtk elements
        inside gvim window?

        > The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
        > other X application.

        could you point me to an existing example?

        Aljosa

      • Marc Weber
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
          Excerpts from Aljosa Mohorovic's message of Fri Jul 02 01:26:37 +0200 2010:
          > On Jul 1, 6:10 pm, Marc Weber <marco-owe...@...> wrote:
          > > I still don't understand? Do you want to replace text fields in HTML
          > > documents by Vim ? That would be awesome!
          >
          > no, i just want to embed another application into vim window.
          > you can completely forget that i mentioned html5, if xembed (or some
          > similar technology) works in vim anything can be displayed.
          Sorry I was off topic.

          > > Give more details about your idea then. Do you want to have a special
          > > buffer which is kind of X display?
          > i think it's been discussed before but yes, i want a buffer/window/
          > anything inside vim that can render more advanced gui elements.
          > since gvim uses gtk is it possible to display other gtk elements
          > inside gvim window?
          If you hack gvim then yes.
          However I think you can't touch the main typing area easily because it
          basically is a terminal or such.

          > > The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
          > > other X application.
          > could you point me to an existing example?
          I don't have one. I mean you could create a gtk/qt app

          +========================+
          | TITLE |
          +========================+
          | | |
          | VIM | YOUR |
          | | GUI |
          | | |
          +========================+

          Then you have to xembed vim at the left and tell it how to display a gui
          at the right (maybe using xembed again).
          I never used xembed so I don't know exactly how it works. glancing at
          some docs found by google it seemed to me being possible.

          Marc Weber

        • Andy Spencer
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
            On 2010-07-02 03:33, Marc Weber wrote:
            > Excerpts from Aljosa Mohorovic's message of Fri Jul 02 01:26:37 +0200 2010:
            > > i think it's been discussed before but yes, i want a buffer/window/
            > > anything inside vim that can render more advanced gui elements.
            > > since gvim uses gtk is it possible to display other gtk elements
            > > inside gvim window?
            >
            > If you hack gvim then yes.
            > However I think you can't touch the main typing area easily because it
            > basically is a terminal or such.

            Agreed, if I remember correctly, even the GTK "tabs" aren't really tabs,
            but more like buttons that tell the main vim window which "tab" it
            should display.

            On 2010-07-02 16:26, Aljosa Mohorovic wrote:
            > On Jul 1, 6:10?pm, Marc Weber <marco-owe...@...> wrote:
            > > The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
            > > other X application.
            >
            > could you point me to an existing example?

            This will work, and it's pretty easy to do, I've attached a simple
            example using GtkSocket. What you won't be able to do is treat your GUI
            as a "vim window", e.g.:

            +========================+
            | TITLE |
            +========================+
            | | YOUR |
            | VIM | GUI |
            | |------------|
            | | |
            |-----------| VIM |
            | VIM | |
            +========================+

          • Aljosa Mohorovic
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 30, 2010
              i've used "--servername" and "--socketid" to embed gvim into a qt app
              but with no success.
              i can normally embed xterm using this code but with gvim nothing
              happens although if i use no args (for gvim process) it normally opens
              gvim outside of qt app.
              any ideas/tips?

              Aljosa Mohorovic

              python/qt code:
              # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
              import atexit
              import sys

              from PyQt4.QtCore import *
              from PyQt4.QtGui import *

              class GVim(QX11EmbedContainer):
              def __init__(self, parent):
              QX11EmbedContainer.__init__(self, parent)
              self.process = QProcess(self)
              self.connect(self.process,
              SIGNAL("finished(int, QProcess::ExitStatus)"),
              self.on_cmd_close)
              atexit.register(self.kill)

              def kill(self):
              self.process.kill()
              self.process.waitForFinished()

              def show_cmd(self):
              args = ["--servername", "%d" % self.winId(), "--socketid",
              "%d" % self.winId()]
              # args = []
              print args

              self.process.start("gvim", args)

              print "error:", self.process.error()
              if self.process.error() == QProcess.FailedToStart:
              print "cmd not installed"

              def on_cmd_close(self, exit_code, exit_status):
              print "close", exit_code, exit_status
              self.close()

              if __name__ == "__main__":
              app = QApplication(sys.argv)

              widget = QMainWindow()
              cmd = GVim(widget)
              cmd.show_cmd()
              cmd.resize(500,500)

              widget.resize(800,800)
              widget.show()

              sys.exit(app.exec_())

            • Tony Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 30, 2010
                On 30/07/10 18:10, Aljosa Mohorovic wrote:
                > i've used "--servername" and "--socketid" to embed gvim into a qt app
                > but with no success.
                > i can normally embed xterm using this code but with gvim nothing
                > happens although if i use no args (for gvim process) it normally opens
                > gvim outside of qt app.
                > any ideas/tips?
                >
                > Aljosa Mohorovic

                IIRC, to embed Vim in a Qt app (for instance in a Konqueror tab) you
                needed a Qt Vim: that would have meant kvim, which however stopped being
                maintained when it was at some patchlevel of Vim 6.1. If you have access
                to some old KDE3 release from a few years ago, it might be included.

                The trouble with superheros is what to do between phone booths.
                -- Ken Kesey