xembed options for vim?

  • Aljosa Mohorovic
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
      i can't find any docs/options related to using xembed withing vim or
      using xembed to put vim into another application.
      is it currently possible or planed to enable something like that?

      Aljosa Mohorovic

      p.s.
      i did try posting this to user list a few months ago but it seems that
      topic is more related to vim development

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
        Hi Aljosa,

        I know about 2 related projects:
        - one tried running Vim within Eclipse
        - another group of people tried rewriting Vim or changing it so that it
        can be used as component. That project was given up.
        (I don't recall the names). If its really important to you I'll try to
        dig them up

        You should talk about the overall problem you're faced with. Maybe you
        get more hints then.

        Probably others know more than I do.

        Good luck!
        Marc Weber

      • Aljosa Mohorovic
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
          On Jul 1, 3:35 pm, Marc Weber <marco-owe...@...> wrote:
          > - another group of people tried rewriting Vim or changing it so that it
          >   can be used as component. That project was given up.
          > (I don't recall the names). If its really important to you I'll try to
          > dig them up

          i was interested in http://yzis.org if that's what you mean but like
          many other projects it died.

          > You should talk about the overall problem you're faced with. Maybe you
          > get more hints then.

          i prefer vim over anything (i ever used or still using) but it would
          make my life easier if i could embed external app into vim.
          specifically i would like to be able to render a widget with webkit
          capabilities and communicate with that window/widget via python
          plugin.
          i would like to force that widget to behave like vim window so i could
          move it like a normal window.
          basically something like NERDTree but capable to render html5.

          i could also do all this if i can embed vim into another app via
          xembed.

          any idea if something like this is possible or is planed for a future
          vim release?
          also, any other approach or ideas would be appreciated.

          also, i understand that something like this would decrease vim
          performance but i also expect that eventually vim should be able to
          provide better integration with modern ui widgets for vim plugins.

          Aljosa Mohorovic

        • Marc Weber
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
            > i was interested in http://yzis.org if that's what you mean but like
            > many other projects it died.
            Yes. That was the name.

            > > You should talk about the overall problem you're faced with. Maybe you
            > > get more hints then.
            > i prefer vim over anything (i ever used or still using) but it would
            > make my life easier if i could embed external app into vim.
            > specifically i would like to be able to render a widget with webkit
            > capabilities and communicate with that window/widget via python
            > plugin.

            I still don't understand? Do you want to replace text fields in HTML
            documents by Vim ? That would be awesome!

            Can you create a small pic illustrating how the result should look like?

            Does this mean you could embed vim into html pages?
            https://developer.mozilla.org/en/XEmbed_Extension_for_Mozilla_Plugins

            > any idea if something like this is possible or is planed for a future
            > vim release?
            > also, any other approach or ideas would be appreciated.
            Give more details about your idea then. Do you want to have a special
            buffer which is kind of X display?
            The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
            other X application.

            > also, i understand that something like this would decrease vim
            > performance but i also expect that eventually vim should be able to
            > provide better integration with modern ui widgets for vim plugins.
            Vim is a historically grown editor I love and hate it. I use it for
            everything which counts more :)

            Marc Weber

          • Aljosa Mohorovic
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
              On Jul 1, 6:10 pm, Marc Weber <marco-owe...@...> wrote:
              > I still don't understand? Do you want to replace text fields in HTML
              > documents by Vim ? That would be awesome!

              no, i just want to embed another application into vim window.
              you can completely forget that i mentioned html5, if xembed (or some
              similar technology) works in vim anything can be displayed.

              > Give more details about your idea then. Do you want to have a special
              > buffer which is kind of X display?

              i think it's been discussed before but yes, i want a buffer/window/
              anything inside vim that can render more advanced gui elements.
              since gvim uses gtk is it possible to display other gtk elements
              inside gvim window?

              > The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
              > other X application.

              could you point me to an existing example?

              Aljosa

            • Marc Weber
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
                Excerpts from Aljosa Mohorovic's message of Fri Jul 02 01:26:37 +0200 2010:
                > On Jul 1, 6:10 pm, Marc Weber <marco-owe...@...> wrote:
                > > I still don't understand? Do you want to replace text fields in HTML
                > > documents by Vim ? That would be awesome!
                >
                > no, i just want to embed another application into vim window.
                > you can completely forget that i mentioned html5, if xembed (or some
                > similar technology) works in vim anything can be displayed.
                Sorry I was off topic.

                > > Give more details about your idea then. Do you want to have a special
                > > buffer which is kind of X display?
                > i think it's been discussed before but yes, i want a buffer/window/
                > anything inside vim that can render more advanced gui elements.
                > since gvim uses gtk is it possible to display other gtk elements
                > inside gvim window?
                If you hack gvim then yes.
                However I think you can't touch the main typing area easily because it
                basically is a terminal or such.

                > > The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
                > > other X application.
                > could you point me to an existing example?
                I don't have one. I mean you could create a gtk/qt app

                +========================+
                | TITLE |
                +========================+
                | | |
                | VIM | YOUR |
                | | GUI |
                | | |
                +========================+

                Then you have to xembed vim at the left and tell it how to display a gui
                at the right (maybe using xembed again).
                I never used xembed so I don't know exactly how it works. glancing at
                some docs found by google it seemed to me being possible.

                Marc Weber

              • Andy Spencer
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
                  On 2010-07-02 03:33, Marc Weber wrote:
                  > Excerpts from Aljosa Mohorovic's message of Fri Jul 02 01:26:37 +0200 2010:
                  > > i think it's been discussed before but yes, i want a buffer/window/
                  > > anything inside vim that can render more advanced gui elements.
                  > > since gvim uses gtk is it possible to display other gtk elements
                  > > inside gvim window?
                  >
                  > If you hack gvim then yes.
                  > However I think you can't touch the main typing area easily because it
                  > basically is a terminal or such.

                  Agreed, if I remember correctly, even the GTK "tabs" aren't really tabs,
                  but more like buttons that tell the main vim window which "tab" it
                  should display.

                  On 2010-07-02 16:26, Aljosa Mohorovic wrote:
                  > On Jul 1, 6:10?pm, Marc Weber <marco-owe...@...> wrote:
                  > > The other way should be easy: create a window and embed Vim and your
                  > > other X application.
                  >
                  > could you point me to an existing example?

                  This will work, and it's pretty easy to do, I've attached a simple
                  example using GtkSocket. What you won't be able to do is treat your GUI
                  as a "vim window", e.g.:

                  +========================+
                  | TITLE |
                  +========================+
                  | | YOUR |
                  | VIM | GUI |
                  | |------------|
                  | | |
                  |-----------| VIM |
                  | VIM | |
                  +========================+

                • Aljosa Mohorovic
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 30, 2010
                    i've used "--servername" and "--socketid" to embed gvim into a qt app
                    but with no success.
                    i can normally embed xterm using this code but with gvim nothing
                    happens although if i use no args (for gvim process) it normally opens
                    gvim outside of qt app.
                    any ideas/tips?

                    Aljosa Mohorovic

                    python/qt code:
                    # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
                    import atexit
                    import sys

                    from PyQt4.QtCore import *
                    from PyQt4.QtGui import *

                    class GVim(QX11EmbedContainer):
                    def __init__(self, parent):
                    QX11EmbedContainer.__init__(self, parent)
                    self.process = QProcess(self)
                    self.connect(self.process,
                    SIGNAL("finished(int, QProcess::ExitStatus)"),
                    self.on_cmd_close)
                    atexit.register(self.kill)

                    def kill(self):
                    self.process.kill()
                    self.process.waitForFinished()

                    def show_cmd(self):
                    args = ["--servername", "%d" % self.winId(), "--socketid",
                    "%d" % self.winId()]
                    # args = []
                    print args

                    self.process.start("gvim", args)

                    print "error:", self.process.error()
                    if self.process.error() == QProcess.FailedToStart:
                    print "cmd not installed"

                    def on_cmd_close(self, exit_code, exit_status):
                    print "close", exit_code, exit_status
                    self.close()

                    if __name__ == "__main__":
                    app = QApplication(sys.argv)

                    widget = QMainWindow()
                    cmd = GVim(widget)
                    cmd.show_cmd()
                    cmd.resize(500,500)

                    widget.resize(800,800)
                    widget.show()

                    sys.exit(app.exec_())

                  • Tony Mechelynck
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 30, 2010
                      On 30/07/10 18:10, Aljosa Mohorovic wrote:
                      > i've used "--servername" and "--socketid" to embed gvim into a qt app
                      > but with no success.
                      > i can normally embed xterm using this code but with gvim nothing
                      > happens although if i use no args (for gvim process) it normally opens
                      > gvim outside of qt app.
                      > any ideas/tips?
                      >
                      > Aljosa Mohorovic

                      IIRC, to embed Vim in a Qt app (for instance in a Konqueror tab) you
                      needed a Qt Vim: that would have meant kvim, which however stopped being
                      maintained when it was at some patchlevel of Vim 6.1. If you have access
                      to some old KDE3 release from a few years ago, it might be included.

                      The trouble with superheros is what to do between phone booths.
                      -- Ken Kesey