Re: vim 7.3

  • Charles Campbell
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 24, 2010
      James Vega wrote:
      > On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Charles Campbell
      > <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
      >> Hello,
      >> I just attempted to update my copy of vim 7.2 with:
      >> (date&& hg pull -u) 2>&1 |tee -a ../hg-vim.log
      >> I followed that up with a gmake distclean
      >> and ./configure --with-features=huge
      >> --enable-gui=gtk2 --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp
      >> --enable-gnome-check --enable-cscope
      >> Configure failed with the following message:
      >> checking size of off_t... configure: error: in
      >> `/home/cec/.SW/VIM/Merc/vim/src':
      >> configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (off_t)
      >> Here's some excerpts from config.log: (a centos 5.2 system)
      > Since CentOS 5.2 uses libraries a bit older than the systems I normally
      > test on, I setup a VM to see if it was something specific to the
      > library/toolchain versions in 5.2. I installed CentOS, made a fresh
      > clone of the Vim repository, updated to the vim73 branch, and ran the
      > configure line you gave above. Everything ran fine for me and I was
      > able to build Vim.
      > Given that, I'm not sure why you're seeing different results, unless the
      > different architecture is affecting things somehow (your 64-bit x86_64
      > vs. my 32-bit x86).

      Thank you for going to all that trouble! I started getting additional
      messages (like "configure: error: `CC' was not set in the previous run")
      and make distclean wouldn't complete. So, I applied "/bin/rm -rf" to
      the vim directory, and pulled a new copy. This time it configured and
      compiled without problems. I suppose I should've tried that earlier.

      Chip Campbell