Re: Progress indicator for :TOhtml command

  • Ingo Karkat
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 1, 2010
      On 01-Jun-2010 16:43, Ben Fritz wrote:
      > I am fine with tabs or spaces for indentation. I am NOT fine with a
      > mixture of the two. From the previous modeline, I assumed that the
      > intent was a tab-based indent. You are free to change the tabstop to
      > view the file, but if you edit the file using a 'shiftwidth' and
      > 'tabstop' value that differ, the indentation will become a mixture of
      > tabs and spaces, so that changing tabstop no longer looks right.

      Personal preferences aside, the syntax/2html.vim looks like a correct
      softtabstop=2 to me; I use this setting all the time, and Vim supports it well.
      (Cp. :help 'softtabstop'). The only downside is that you should keep ts=8, and
      not mess with 'shiftwidth' and related settings while editing. In that regard,
      it's less flexible than a pure tab or space-indented format, you're right.

      -- regards, ingo

    • Christian J. Robinson
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 1, 2010
        On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Ben Fritz wrote:

        > What did you do to see the slowdown?

        In two separate Vim instances ("vim 2html.vim"--not at the same time):

        :let timestart=join(reltime(), ' ') | exe 'so ' . expand('%') | let timefinish=join(reltime(), ' ')
        :echo timestart | echo timefinish

        Time elapsed about 39 seconds.

        :let timestart=join(reltime(), ' ') | exe 'TOhtml' | let timefinish=join(reltime(), ' ')
        :echo timestart | echo timefinish

        Time elapsed about 31 seconds.

        So the first is over 20% slower.

        This morning I tried it under a "vim -u NONE --noplugin 2html.vim"
        instance and your version was actually four seconds faster than the
        original. Odd.

        I do have a fairly complex vimrc, as well as a number of plugins
        installed.

        - Christian

        --
        Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...>

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 1, 2010
          On Tue, June 1, 2010 2:21 pm, Andy Wokula wrote:
          > I'd suggest to try one of the existing progress bars (sorry, didn't try
          > them myself yet):
          >
          > http://github.com/tomtom/vimtlib/blob/master/autoload/tlib/progressbar.vim

          Here is an experimental version, in which I included the essential part
          from the mentioned vim.org/script into the script from Ben.

          Bugs: - currently only works well with a big enough window.
          - progressbar requires redrawing the window, while processing
          the 2html.vim script. This means, it slows it down.
          - requires a +float (no check yet)

          regards,
          Christian

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 1, 2010
            I've done some updates...more to follow. I forgot to hit the "email
            updates to me" button on the google groups interface so that I can
            upload attachments on a reply.

          • Benjamin Fritz
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 1, 2010

              > Here is an experimental version, in which I included the essential part
              > from the mentioned vim.org/script into the script from Ben.
              >
              > Bugs: - currently only works well with a big enough window.
              > - progressbar requires redrawing the window, while processing
              > the 2html.vim script. This means, it slows it down.
              > - requires a +float (no check yet)

              I like this look a lot better! I made a few improvements:

              - Change the color of StatusLineNC to match StatusLine (and restore it at the
              end) to reduce flashing of the statusline.
              - Draw the progress bar in the new window instead of the original window, to
              reduce the amout of time from the screen clear to the redraw when redrawing
              the windows, reducing the flashing effect.
              - Set the size of the new window to only 2 lines, so that only 1 line of the
              buffer actually appears. The intent of this was to further reduce the flashing
              effect, but it also has the nice side affect of making the conversion MUCH
              faster, since less of the expensive html syntax highlighting needs to be
              completed every redraw.
              - Added a second progress bar for the attributes processing (previously I was
              doing this with a %d/%d printf).
              - Fixed bug in progress bar incr function that prevented incrementing by large
              amounts, that are still less than the maximum value.
              - Fixed bug where progress bar would not fill all the way when doing non-dynamic
              folds.
              - Fixed off-by-one error in progress bar initialization.

              I also removed the "redrawstatus" commands. They did not seem to be necessary,
              and only served to increase the processing time. Did you have a particular
              reason to include them?

            • Benjamin Fritz
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 1, 2010
                On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Benjamin Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                > I like this look a lot better! I made a few improvements:

                And one more bugfix, to prevent throwing errors in the cleanup
                commands at the end.

                With the attached script on fairly recent hardware, I get the
                following timings (in seconds) when converting the 2html.vim script to
                html, several times and discarding the first few trials (these were
                outliers...around 100 seconds, probably while getting the cache all
                ironed out or something):

                with progress bar:
                34
                34
                35
                32
                32
                without progress bar (using let html_no_progress=1):
                33
                33
                33
                33
                32
                32
                33
                30
                unmodified "official" script (with autocmds to set winsize and
                foldmethod to prevent syntax highlighting to screw with the results):
                31
                32
                31
                31

                For me anyway, the difference made by the progress bar, with the
                optimizations in the attached version of 2html.vim, is negligible.

                So...is the screen flashing still too distracting? I think the version
                attached handles it well enough, at least for my purposes.

                Any additional comments or fixes?

              • Ben Fritz
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 2, 2010
                  On Jun 2, 3:13 am, "Christian Brabandt" <cbli...@...> wrote:
                  > On Wed, June 2, 2010 1:04 am, Benjamin Fritz wrote:
                  > > - Added a second progress bar for the attributes processing (previously I
                  > > was
                  > >   doing this with a %d/%d printf).
                  > > I also removed the "redrawstatus" commands. They did not seem to be
                  > > necessary,
                  > > and only served to increase the processing time. Did you have a particular
                  > > reason to include them?
                  >
                  > Yes. I can't see the progressbar otherwise. It is not updating for me. So
                  > I suggest, enabling it again.

                  Interesting. Is this true, even with the progress bar on the top
                  window as in the latest version? If it is on the bottom, the screen
                  clears again for a redraw immediately after the bottom status line is
                  drawn, making it very hard to see the progress bar...which is why I
                  put it on the top.

                  I see from :help :redrawstatus,

                  Useful to update the status line(s) when 'statusline'
                  includes an item that doesn't cause automatic
                  updating.

                  But we're setting the statusline to a new (static) value...surely the
                  statusline is redrawn when 'statusline' is set to something new?

                  If we leave the progress bar on the top window (which I like...any
                  disagreements?) we need to find the appropriate place to put
                  the :redrawstatus command, so that we redraw the correct window's
                  status line. I don't think it's a great idea to use redrawstatus!,
                  although a "normal" use case is probably just the two windows, so
                  maybe it's not that much more expensive?

                  I toyed with the idea of only updating the 'statusline' option and
                  calling :redrawstatus if the progress bar has changed position in a
                  visible way, but on my system (Windows XP, gvim 7.2.437) this wasn't
                  needed.

                  On an unrelated note...should we continue this on vim_use, vim_dev, or
                  both? I original posted to both groups so that I could potentially get
                  more comments, but now it seems we're deep in developer mode.

                • Ben Fritz
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 2, 2010
                    On Jun 2, 8:43 am, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@...> wrote:
                    > On Jun 2, 3:13 am, "Christian Brabandt" <cbli...@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > On Wed, June 2, 2010 1:04 am, Benjamin Fritz wrote:
                    > > > - Added a second progress bar for the attributes processing (previously I
                    > > > was
                    > > >   doing this with a %d/%d printf).
                    > > > I also removed the "redrawstatus" commands. They did not seem to be
                    > > > necessary,
                    > > > and only served to increase the processing time. Did you have a particular
                    > > > reason to include them?
                    >
                    > > Yes. I can't see the progressbar otherwise. It is not updating for me. So
                    > > I suggest, enabling it again.
                    >
                    > Interesting. Is this true, even with the progress bar on the top
                    > window as in the latest version? If it is on the bottom, the screen
                    > clears again for a redraw immediately after the bottom status line is
                    > drawn, making it very hard to see the progress bar...which is why I
                    > put it on the top.

                    This got me thinking...so tried the following:

                    gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
                    filetype indent plugin on
                    syntax on
                    :help intro
                    :source $HOME/vimfiles/syntax/2html.vim

                    I do not see the progress bars! The status lines never get drawn at
                    all (and the conversion is lightning fast). It appears I have
                    something in my Vim setup that slows things down enough, or redraws
                    the window, or something, that causes the status lines to appear when
                    normally they would not.

                    Any ideas? I don't see anything suspicious in my usual Buf/Win Enter/
                    Leave autocmds:

                    --- Auto-Commands ---
                    style_highlight WinEnter
                    * if !exists('w:created') | call
                    matchadd('WhitespaceError','\S\@<=\s\+\%#\@<!$') | endif
                    if &filetype=~'\v<%(c|vim|dosbatch)>' && !
                    exists('w:tabs_are_bad') | let w:tabs_are_bad =
                    matchadd('WhitespaceError',"\t") | endif
                    misc WinEnter
                    * if !exists('w:created') && &ft!='qf' | setlocal nowrap
                    | endif
                    matchparen WinEnter
                    * call s:Highlight_Matching_Pair()
                    misc WinEnter
                    * let w:created=1

                    --- Auto-Commands ---
                    insertmode WinLeave
                    * if exists('w:last_fdm') | let &l:foldmethod=w:last_fdm |
                    unlet w:last_fdm | endif

                    --- Auto-Commands ---
                    filetypedetect BufEnter
                    *.xpm if getline(1) =~ "XPM2" | setf xpm2 | else | setf
                    xpm | endif
                    *.xpm2 setf xpm2
                    misc BufEnter
                    * if (&ft=='qf' || &previewwindow || bufname('%') ==#
                    "__Tag_List__") && !exists('s:scrolloff_sav') | let
                    s:scrolloff_sav=&scrolloff | set scrolloff=0 | endif
                    repeatPlugin BufEnter
                    * if g:repeat_tick == 0|let g:repeat_tick = b:changedtick|
                    endif
                    FileExplorer BufEnter
                    * silent! call s:LocalBrowse(expand("<amatch>"))
                    .* silent! call s:LocalBrowse(expand("<amatch>"))
                    BufEnter
                    *.vba setlocal bt=nofile fmr=[[[,]]] fdm=marker|if &ff !=
                    'unix'| setlocal ma ff=unix noma |endif|call
                    vimball#ShowMesg(0,"Source this file to extract it! (:so %)")
                    *.vba.gz setlocal bt=nofile fmr=[[[,]]] fdm=marker|if &ff !=
                    'unix'| setlocal ma ff=unix noma |endif|call
                    vimball#ShowMesg(0,"Source this file to extract it! (:so %)")
                    *.vba.bz2 setlocal bt=nofile fmr=[[[,]]] fdm=marker|if &ff !=
                    'unix'| setlocal ma ff=unix noma |endif|call
                    vimball#ShowMesg(0,"Source this file to extract it! (:so %)")
                    *.vba.zip setlocal bt=nofile fmr=[[[,]]] fdm=marker|if &ff !=
                    'unix'| setlocal ma ff=unix noma |endif|call
                    vimball#ShowMesg(0,"Source this file to extract it! (:so %)")

                    --- Auto-Commands ---
                    misc BufLeave
                    * if (&ft=='qf' || &previewwindow || bufname('%') ==#
                    "__Tag_List__") && exists('s:scrolloff_sav') | let
                    &scrolloff=s:scrolloff_sav | unlet s:scrolloff_sav | endif
                    repeatPlugin BufLeave
                    * let g:repeat_tick = (g:repeat_tick == b:changedtick ||
                    g:repeat_tick == 0) ? 0 : -1

                  • Benjamin Fritz
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 2, 2010
                      On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
                      > It appears I have
                      > something in my Vim setup that slows things down enough, or redraws
                      > the window, or something, that causes the status lines to appear when
                      > normally they would not.
                      >
                      > Any ideas? I don't see anything suspicious in my usual Buf/Win Enter/
                      > Leave autocmds:

                      Found it. I have the following in my .vimrc:

                      " Highlight trailing whitespace, unless it is being entered now
                      autocmd WinEnter,VimEnter *
                      \ if !exists('w:created') |
                      \ call matchadd('WhitespaceError','\S\@<=\s\+\%#\@<!$') |
                      \ endif
                      " necessary to have it highlight a just-entered trailing space
                      autocmd InsertLeave * redraw!

                      The InsertLeave command is triggering because 2html works using
                      normal! a... commands. I have the autocmd because of the following
                      text in :help /\%# :

                      WARNING: When the cursor is moved after the pattern was used, the
                      result becomes invalid. Vim doesn't automatically update the matches.
                      This is especially relevant for syntax highlighting and 'hlsearch'.
                      In other words: When the cursor moves the display isn't updated for
                      this change. An update is done for lines which are changed (the whole
                      line is updated) or when using the |CTRL-L| command (the whole screen
                      is updated).

                      So anyway, it looks like we need to do the redrawstatus. It would be
                      easiest to just use redrawstatus! right after calling the incr
                      function. I wonder how much of a performance impact this has? If it is
                      significant, we should probably call it only sometimes, perhaps after
                      a progress bar position update (which would mean the number of
                      processed lines would not be updated in real-time on large files). Any
                      thoughts/input?

                      It appears we also need to ignore some events; at least BufEnter,
                      WinEnter, InsertEnter, BufLeave, WinLeave, and InsertLeave. Syntax
                      seems like a good idea as well, but then we'd want to do the syntax
                      highlight when done, so perhaps we can leave this one in. Thoughts on
                      this? Is this really needed as part of the same patch or would this be
                      a future, performance-enhancing-only, patch?

                    • Christian Brabandt
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 3, 2010
                        On Wed, June 2, 2010 4:36 am, Benjamin Fritz wrote:

                        > Any additional comments or fixes?

                        Try the attached version:

                        - Check for +float
                        - Should work better with smaller window sizes
                        - Make the progressbar for the attribute processing slightly slower
                        (it was too fast, to notice it)
                        - small enhancements to how the progressbar works and how it displays.
                        - don't show any content from the html window

                        regards,
                        Christian

                      • Benjamin Fritz
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 3, 2010
                          On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:

                          > Try the attached version:
                          >
                          > - Check for +float
                          > - Should work better with smaller window sizes
                          > - Make the progressbar for the attribute processing slightly slower
                          >  (it was too fast, to notice it)
                          > - small enhancements to how the progressbar works and how it displays.
                          > - don't show any content from the html window

                          More tweaks. This one is about twice as fast as Christian's, which it
                          accomplishes by only redrawing when the progress bar has changed
                          position.

                          Question: Christian's version calls :redrawstatus on the original
                          window, but the new window is updated perfectly fine. :help
                          :redrawstatus seems to indicate that only the current window will be
                          redrawn unless the ! is given. What gives?

                          Regardless, I have fixed the above issue and made a couple more minor
                          fixes, including getting the entire title to display on my teensy
                          laptop screen.

                          This version is still not fast enough though. It is about 30% slower
                          when the progress bar is enabled than when it is disabled. While I
                          consider it a good tradeoff in most cases, we could certainly make it
                          better.

                          It would probably be faster to pre-calculate the line numbers needed
                          to advance the progress bar rather than doing a bunch of
                          floating-point math every cycle.

                        • Benjamin Fritz
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 5, 2010
                            On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Benjamin Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
                            > This version is still not fast enough though. It is about 30% slower
                            > when the progress bar is enabled than when it is disabled. While I
                            > consider it a good tradeoff in most cases, we could certainly make it
                            > better.
                            >
                            > It would probably be faster to pre-calculate the line numbers needed
                            > to advance the progress bar rather than doing a bunch of
                            > floating-point math every cycle.

                            I've attached a new version which pre-calculates the (integer) line
                            numbers needed to advance the progress bar. Now all the floating point
                            math is done once, up front.

                            The difference is not really very perceptible. I timed the execution
                            on two files. First, I did the 5148-line autoload/phpcomplete.vim
                            script. Timings were as follows on my laptop:

                            progress disabled:
                            average: 46 seconds

                            floating-point progress:
                            average: 61 seconds
                            slowdown: 15 seconds longer than without progress bar
                            percentage: 33% longer than without progress bar

                            precalculated progress:
                            average: 62 seconds
                            slowdown: 16 seconds longer than without progress bar
                            percentage: 35% longer than without progress bar

                            Next I did a 33258-line C code file:

                            progress disabled:
                            average: 691 seconds

                            floating-point progress:
                            average: 716 seconds
                            slowdown: 25 seconds longer than without progress bar
                            percentage: 4% longer than without progress bar

                            precalculated progress:
                            average: 711 seconds
                            slowdown: 20 seconds longer than without progress bar
                            percentage: 3% longer than without progress bar

                            I also did a number of very small sections of files (my usual use case
                            for 2html) and did not notice any significant slowing; it only takes
                            1-2 seconds longer for a 100 or 200 line selection.

                            I take a few things from this.

                            First of all, I don't think we'll get much performance improvement
                            with this method. I do not know whether it is setting the status line
                            and redrawing it, or whether it is the use of the object-oriented
                            style functions, but it would probably require a different approach to
                            get a significant speedup. I certainly like the look a lot better than
                            the echo method, even if we could get echon working. Is a 10-20 second
                            slow-down acceptable on large numbers of lines, if the normal
                            execution time is measured in minutes anyway? To me, it certainly is.
                            If something is going to be taking more than a few minutes, I want a
                            progress bar to tell me whether it's worth letting it continue. Since
                            the slow-down can be significant for midsize files, we will certainly
                            need to mention in the :help that disabling the progress bar will make
                            the conversion faster. Maybe we should only show the progress bar
                            after some amount of time has elapsed? We could suppress the
                            redrawstatus until 10 seconds have passed, or something like that. Any
                            thoughts?

                            Secondly, the precalculated version is not really any faster than the
                            full floating-point calculation every cycle. I don't really have an
                            opinion of which method gives more readable code. Does anyone else
                            have any opinions on which version to keep? I think it would be
                            possible to do away with floating point calculations entirely using
                            the precalculated version; currently floating point is only used in
                            the calculate_ticks function. This might be desireable so that we can
                            remove the dependence on the +float feature, which is not marked with
                            a "smallest version" indicator in :help +feature-list. This apparently
                            means it is "system dependent". Does this mean float is pretty much
                            always included, unless it is explicitly removed? How common are Vims
                            without floating-point support? I already added use of the split()
                            function, which was added in version 7, so this won't work on really
                            old Vims...but do we want to support Vim 7.1 and earlier?

                          • ZyX
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 5, 2010
                              присланное в 19:39:15 05 июня 2010, Суббота,
                              отправитель Benjamin Fritz:

                              Why do you need float math for progress bar? Integer division is enough unless
                              you are going to show progress in %.1f or even more precious format. %3.d format
                              that you are using is integer and you obviously can't show half of a character.

                              Текст сообщения:

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 5, 2010
                                присланное в 19:39:15 05 июня 2010, Суббота,
                                отправитель Benjamin Fritz:

                                A small benchmark for your and mine scripts:
                                user system cpu total Relative
                                mine, no progress 93,07 10,82 99% 1:44,06 + 5%
                                mine, only per cents and bar 95,77 10,92 99% 1:46,94 + 8%
                                mine, %, bar and lines 125,59 14,80 99% 2:20,83 +43%
                                2html from vim-7.2.303 97,34 1,16 99% 1:38,64 + 0%
                                your 2html, no progress 77,31 0,99 99% 1:18,55 -20%
                                your 2html, with progress 100,57 1,20 99% 1:42,76 + 4%

                                Commands:
                                # mine, no progress
                                time vim messages -c 'set ft=messages | execute "%FormatCommand format html" | qa!'
                                # mine, only % and bar
                                time vim messages -c 'set ft=messages | let g:formatOptions={"ShowProgress": 1} | execute "%FormatCommand format
                                html" | qa!'
                                # mine, %, bar and lines
                                time vim messages -c 'set ft=messages | let g:formatOptions={"ShowProgress": 2} | execute "%FormatCommand format
                                html" | qa!'
                                # 2html, your with progress and 2html from vim-7.2.303
                                # Difference is that in second case I created a symlink to your file in
                                # .vim/syntax directory
                                time vim messages -c 'set ft=messages | execute "TOhtml" | qa!'
                                # your 2html, with progress
                                time vim messages -c 'set ft=messages | let g:html_no_progress=1 | execute "TOhtml" | qa!'

                                You can download messages file here: (1,1M uncompressed, 77K compressed):
                                http://kp-pav.narod.ru/messages.xz
                                My script is located here (see version 1.2):

                                I do not know what exactly is a problem, but your progress is too slow.

                                Текст сообщения:

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 5, 2010
                                  присланное в 19:39:15 05 июня 2010, Суббота,
                                  отправитель Benjamin Fritz:

                                  It occures that the problem is not floating-point math: the attached patch
                                  removes this math but does not add any perfomance. It also removes recalculating
                                  progress bar width (you just used used some generic progress bar?) and
                                  needs_redraw. Also, why you forbid profiling progress bar functions? It is also
                                  fixed.

                                  Текст сообщения:

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 5, 2010
                                    On Jun 5, 6:26 pm, ZyX <zyx....@...> wrote:
                                    > A small benchmark for your and mine scripts:
                                    >                               user    system  cpu  total      Relative
                                    > mine, no progress              93,07  10,82   99%  1:44,06    + 5%
                                    > mine, only per cents and bar   95,77  10,92   99%  1:46,94    + 8%
                                    > mine, %, bar and lines        125,59  14,80   99%  2:20,83    +43%
                                    > 2html from vim-7.2.303         97,34   1,16   99%  1:38,64    + 0%
                                    > your 2html, no progress        77,31   0,99   99%  1:18,55    -20%
                                    > your 2html, with progress     100,57   1,20   99%  1:42,76    + 4%
                                    >
                                    > [Snip]
                                    >
                                    > I do not know what exactly is a problem, but your progress is too slow.

                                    I'm sorry I don't follow. You're saying that a 4% increase in time for
                                    the progress bar, and a 20% decrease without the progress bar, is "too
                                    slow"?

                                    And you're proposing changes that make it an 8% increase with the
                                    progress bar, or a 5% increase without?

                                  • Benjamin Fritz
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 5, 2010
                                      On Jun 5, 8:10 pm, ZyX <zyx....@...> wrote:

                                      > It occures that the problem is not floating-point math: the attached patch
                                      > removes this math but does not add any perfomance.

                                      Yes, I did not expect any performance gains from removing the little
                                      bit of remaining floating point, since it is just up to 100
                                      calculations done once at the start and thereafter only when the
                                      window changes size. It is a good idea to remove, because as you point
                                      out, that amount of precision is probably unnecessary, and it would
                                      just introduce another dependency.

                                      > It also removes recalculating
                                      > progress bar width (you just used used some generic progress bar?) and
                                      > needs_redraw.

                                      Yes, we did use a generic progress bar as the starting point for this.
                                      However, I think it IS necessary to recalculate the progress bar
                                      width. This is done so that if the user changes window sizes, the
                                      progress bar will be updated accordingly. We don't want a progress bar
                                      that is too big to fit in the window, or smaller than needed for
                                      decent viewing. With your patch, if you start with the gvim window
                                      maximized, then restore the window to a smaller size, Vim goes blank
                                      until the next progress bar update, and then the progress bar is too
                                      large to fit on the screen and is truncated. This is not desirable,
                                      but perhaps it would acceptable if the performance gains are great
                                      enough. This does not seem to be the case, because I added back in the
                                      size recalculation with no noticeable performance hit.

                                      The needs_redraw was done in order to allow us to call redrawstatus on
                                      the correct window. :help redrawstatus says that it redraws the status
                                      line for the *current window* only unless you use redrawstatus! which
                                      redraws all windows. In practice, however, it does not seem to matter
                                      which window we use it in. Why is this?

                                      > Also, why you forbid profiling progress bar functions? It is also
                                      > fixed.

                                      Good catch, that's certainly something to include going forward.

                                      There is a slight speed gain from your patch, however there is a
                                      mistaken assumption in the way you update the progress bar. Your code
                                      assumes that the progress bar will only ever update by one tick at a
                                      time. Updating the progress bar without your patch calculates the
                                      entire string every time, using repeat(). Your update simply adds one
                                      to the colored string of spaces, and subtracts one from the uncolored.
                                      This does not work if the user folds away some text and does not use
                                      dynamic folding, it does not work when there are fewer than 100 lines
                                      in the text to convert, and it does not work for the second use of the
                                      progress bar, where there are usually fewer that 100 highlight groups
                                      to process.

                                      I corrected this problem and initially, the performance still seemed
                                      to be improved over the previous version. However, I noticed afterward
                                      that part of the patch removes the "sleep 100m" from the "processing
                                      classes" step. I took this line out of the original script for a fair
                                      comparison, and got the following timings, converting
                                      autoload/netrw.vim (7764 lines) with dynamic folding enabled:

                                      Before patch: 50 seconds
                                      Patch from ZyX: 49 seconds
                                      Fixed patch: 51 seconds

                                      So, it looks like the patch is actually no faster, and potentially
                                      slightly slower than the precalculated version.

                                      I have therefore attached an updated version of my last submission,
                                      which removes floating point from the calculate_ticks function, and
                                      incorporates some of the other improvements from ZyX.

                                      This version takes 50 seconds to convert netrw, if I comment out the
                                      sleep 100 line. Do we want this line in the code? Without it, if there
                                      are not very many highlight groups to process, the "processing
                                      classes" bar flashes by without being seen. This happens anyway for
                                      very small selections. I don't know how I feel about deliberately
                                      slowing down the execution. I have left it commented out for now.

                                      I am very curious about this:

                                      " Note that you must use len(split) instead of len() if you want to use
                                      " unicode in title
                                      let self.pb_len = max_len-len(split(self.title, '\zs'))-3-4-2

                                      Can someone explain the problem described in the comment a little
                                      better? And why does the split on '\zs' work to fix the problem?

                                    • ZyX
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 6, 2010
                                        присланное в 10:59:42 06 июня 2010, Воскресенье,
                                        отправитель Benjamin Fritz:

                                        The reason why I say that progress bar is too slow is that my script does not
                                        suffer from performance decrease unless you make it redraw on each line. I will
                                        add size recalculation for my script too (I removed it from your script because
                                        I did not realize that while user can do nothing in vim he still can resize the
                                        terminal), but I do not think that this will add any performance penalty.

                                        > I am very curious about this:
                                        >
                                        > " Note that you must use len(split) instead of len() if you want to use
                                        > " unicode in title
                                        > let self.pb_len = max_len-len(split(self.title, '\zs'))-3-4-2
                                        >
                                        > Can someone explain the problem described in the comment a little
                                        > better? And why does the split on '\zs' work to fix the problem?
                                        That is because len(str) measures byte length of C string, while len(split) first
                                        splits the string into a list of characters and then measures the length of
                                        character list. If there are non-latin1 Unicode symbols and encoding is a
                                        multibyte one then length of character list is not equal to bytes count of C
                                        string.

                                        Текст сообщения:

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 6, 2010
                                          присланное в 10:59:42 06 июня 2010, Воскресенье,
                                          отправитель Benjamin Fritz:

                                          It is odd: the only problem in your script is redrawstatus which is called only
                                          100 times (without styles, 109 with) (>21 seconds), while in my script
                                          redrawstatus called 328 times takes less than a second.

                                          Second problem with the whole 2html is buffer switching, I think you should
                                          consider instead of doing constant switches, save every line in a List and only
                                          after everything is finished create a new buffer and call setline(1, s:list).
                                          Note that new versions of my script are faster (but not much) then your 2html
                                          because I use this technique.

                                          And, why do you calculate length of the title at each progressbarupdate?
                                          Attached patch fixes this and the case when there is no space for progress bar.

                                          Текст сообщения:

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 6, 2010
                                            присланное в 13:03:23 06 июня 2010, Воскресенье,
                                            отправитель ZyX:

                                            Yes, buffer switching is the problem: attached patch uses my technique (save
                                            everything in a list, not in a buffer) and here are the results:

                                            My script:
                                            1:05,09 w/o progress
                                            1:08,40 ShowProgress=1
                                            1:20,59 ShowProgress=2
                                            Your 2html:
                                            1:19,67 w/o progress
                                            1:44,74 with progress
                                            Patched 2html:
                                            1:03,51 w/o progress
                                            1:05,08 with progress

                                            Apply patch to your 2html, not to previously patched version.

                                            Текст сообщения:

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 7, 2010
                                              On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 5:10 AM, ZyX <zyx.vim@...> wrote:

                                              > Yes, buffer switching is the problem: attached patch uses my technique (save
                                              > everything in a list, not in a buffer) and here are the results:
                                              >
                                              > My script:
                                              > 1:05,09 w/o progress
                                              > 1:08,40 ShowProgress=1
                                              > 1:20,59 ShowProgress=2
                                              > Your 2html:
                                              > 1:19,67 w/o progress
                                              > 1:44,74 with progress
                                              > Patched 2html:
                                              > 1:03,51 w/o progress
                                              > 1:05,08 with progress

                                              Very nice. This is a huge performance boost, and the times are similar
                                              with and without the progress bar even with my big 33000 line C file
                                              which I used previously.

                                              I think it's about ready now. I've added another progress bar for the
                                              time taken to collect fold information for dynamic folding, and
                                              corrected a few minor bugs in the patch related to dynamic folding. I
                                              did end up adding back in a :sleep to the class processing loop, but I
                                              reduced the time it sleeps. I'm certainly open to removing this.

                                              I've attached the whole file so we don't get into a "which patches do
                                              I need?" quagmire.