Re: [patch] 7.3: use xxd instead of gzip in test 11

  • Ralf Schandl
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2010
      Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      > On 29/05/10 15:13, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >>
      >> Ralf Schandl wrote:
      >>
      >>> test11 uses gzip to test the autocmds FileReadPre/Post and
      >>> FileWritePre/Post. Gzip might not be available on all platforms, so I
      >>> switched to xxd to do the tests.
      >>>
      >>> Attached patch is test11 using xxd instead of gzip.
      >>
      >> I suspect many systems won't have "xxd" installed when building/testing
      >> Vim, before installing. That could be fixed by using a path for xxd.
      >> But what path? It would have to be passed in from the Makefile.
      >> That's not going to make it simpler...
      >>

      > The tests should be run after compiling Vim, of course, and a full
      > compile builds xxd/xxd in addition to Vim. So (assuming the testdir to
      > be the current directory) there should be an executable named ../xxd/xxd
      > in most cases.
      >
      > Since "xxd --version" is a valid command, we could try that for any
      > possible locations of the executable, starting at ../xxd/xxd relative to
      > the testdir, and then use the first one which returns a zero exit status
      > ($? on Unix or ERRORLEVEL on Windows).
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Tony.

      See my mail from yesterday 17:54. This shows how it would work for win
      and unix using ..\xxd\xxd and ../xxd/xxd. I don't know the path
      separators for all the other OSes supported by vim. Is there support in
      VimL for this? I haven't found it.

      If we want this test to be really OS-independent, we would also have to
      replace sed and rm in the test.

      If this is wanted, I'll again invest some time in this.

      - Ralf