Re: Patch: make "emenu" accept the unlocalized menu names

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2010
      On 03/05/10 07:50, Edward L. Fox wrote:
      [...]
      > This patch makes both localized and unlocalized menu items appear in
      > the wild menu. I think it's reasonable because both of them works.
      > What do you think?

      If they are selectable separately, I think it's comparable to what
      happens when "localized help" is installed, where helptag completion
      brings up tags for both @en help and help in every installed help
      language. For the menus, I suppose that if v:lang is "C", "POSIX", "en",
      or, let's say, "en_US.UTF-8" or "English_United-States.1252", only
      English menus will come up (and that only once for each menu or menuitem)?

      MORTICIAN: Bring out your dead!
      [clang]
      Bring out your dead!
      [clang]
      Bring out your dead!
      CUSTOMER: Here's one -- nine pence.
      DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
      The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty
      Python)

      Message 2 of 7 , May 7, 2010
        Edward L. Fox wrote:

        > Here's a small patch provided by Liang Peng, alias Bezetek James. He
        > has fixed the problem in menu/unmenu/emenu series commands.
        >
        > As my understanding, "emenu" is designed for scripts to access some
        > menu items. However, "emenu" only accepts the localized menu names.
        > For example, you can use your script to add a new menu item by calling
        > "amenu File.Test :echo 'hello'<CR>", but you can't execute the same
        > menu item by calling "emenu File.Test" if you are not running Vim in
        > English mode. Instead, you have to use localized menu name for
        > "File". However, we don't have any interface to access the menu
        > translation table via script. So "emenu" command is nearly useless
        > for script writers.
        >
        > Bezetek's patch makes menu/unmenu/emenu useful again. He modified the
        > menu structure to store the original strings before the localization,
        > and accepts the unlocalized strings for all the menu series commands
        > when calling all menu related command. To keep the compatibility,
        > localized menu names are also accepted, just like the behavior before.
        >
        > This is his first patch to Vim, and he's quite eager to participate in
        > open source projects. Please help review his patch and include it in
        > the next release of Vim. Many thanks!

        This is very useful.

        There was an old patch that I never got around looking into, from Bjorn
        Winckler. It dates 2008 March 30.

        http://www.mail-archive.com/vim_dev@.../msg02561.html

        Perhaps you can compare the patches and find out what works best?

        3. Every time someone asks you to do something, ask if they want fries
        with that.

      • Edward L. Fox
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9, 2010
          On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 04:51:27PM +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > On 03/05/10 07:50, Edward L. Fox wrote:
          > [...]
          > >This patch makes both localized and unlocalized menu items appear in
          > >the wild menu. I think it's reasonable because both of them works.
          > >What do you think?
          >
          > If they are selectable separately, I think it's comparable to what
          > happens when "localized help" is installed, where helptag completion
          > brings up tags for both @en help and help in every installed help
          > language. For the menus, I suppose that if v:lang is "C", "POSIX",
          > "en", or, let's say, "en_US.UTF-8" or "English_United-States.1252",
          > only English menus will come up (and that only once for each menu or
          > menuitem)?

          The language of the menu could be specified by "set langmenu=..."
          statement in .vimrc. If your menu language is not English, this patch
          will make both localized menu items and original ones appear in the
          wild menu. If your menu language is already English, it will *not*
          display each menu item twice.

          > Best regards,
          > Tony.
          > --
          > MORTICIAN: Bring out your dead!
          > [clang]
          > Bring out your dead!
          > [clang]
          > Bring out your dead!
          > CUSTOMER: Here's one -- nine pence.
          > DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
          > The Quest for the Holy Grail
          > (Monty Python)

        • Edward L. Fox
          Message 4 of 7 , May 9, 2010
            On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 04:17:36PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Edward L. Fox wrote:
            >
            > > Here's a small patch provided by Liang Peng, alias Bezetek James. He
            > > has fixed the problem in menu/unmenu/emenu series commands.
            > >
            > > As my understanding, "emenu" is designed for scripts to access some
            > > menu items. However, "emenu" only accepts the localized menu names.
            > > For example, you can use your script to add a new menu item by calling
            > > "amenu File.Test :echo 'hello'<CR>", but you can't execute the same
            > > menu item by calling "emenu File.Test" if you are not running Vim in
            > > English mode. Instead, you have to use localized menu name for
            > > "File". However, we don't have any interface to access the menu
            > > translation table via script. So "emenu" command is nearly useless
            > > for script writers.
            > >
            > > Bezetek's patch makes menu/unmenu/emenu useful again. He modified the
            > > menu structure to store the original strings before the localization,
            > > and accepts the unlocalized strings for all the menu series commands
            > > when calling all menu related command. To keep the compatibility,
            > > localized menu names are also accepted, just like the behavior before.
            > >
            > > This is his first patch to Vim, and he's quite eager to participate in
            > > open source projects. Please help review his patch and include it in
            > > the next release of Vim. Many thanks!
            >
            > This is very useful.
            >
            > There was an old patch that I never got around looking into, from Bjorn
            > Winckler. It dates 2008 March 30.
            >
            > http://www.mail-archive.com/vim_dev@.../msg02561.html
            >
            > Perhaps you can compare the patches and find out what works best?

            I reviewed both of them. The patch from Bjorn only fixed the emenu
            problem. Liang's patch actually did much more, for example, it also
            adjust the wild menu for all menu related commands as well. Moreover,
            he slightly modified the structure of menu.c to make the code a little
            bit more readable, which was also suggested by Bjorn in his post.

            I think his patch is already in very good quality, and is almost ready
            to be included. Can anyone else also help with a more strict review?