Re: Planning Vim 7.3

  • Jordan Lewis
    Message 1 of 73 , May 2, 2010
      On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
      Thanks for letting me know. Today it's the first time I tested this
      feature. This is really awesome and I have been missing it so much. I
      already started testing it. There are some issues I already noticed:

          1) This does not work very well with files that are symlinked. If
             you start by editing a symlink file, the undo will be saved and
             remembered only for the symlink. If you are later start editing
             the symlink target, there won't be any undo-state remembered and
             further you are loosing your old remembered undo points (because
             even if you later again start editing the symlink file, you
             won't be able to undo changes.

      This should be a relatively easy fix, if the desired behavior is to have all of the symlinks associate to the same undo file as the target. Same story for hard links.

         2)  What happens with old undo files? They seem to accumulate and
             it seems that sooner or later you'll have in ~/.vim/undo/ a bunch
             of unusable undo files. Could they be deleted automatically,
             when they become unusable or is there a way to force reading the
             undo-file?

      This is kind of a tricky problem - the only way Vim will notice when an undo file becomes unusable is if a user edits the file its associated with. But then presumably the user will soon write another fresh undo file for the file that was just opened, so there wouldn't actually be any pruning unless the user just opens and closes the file without writing out a new undo file.

      I suppose it wouldn't be hard to write a cleanup function that would iterate through the whole undo directory and delete those which are out of date or whose associated file no longer exists. Would that be useful?

         3)  :rundo should at least output some message, if it can't restore
             the undo points from a previous session, since the file has been
             modified by some other program.

      When I first wrote this patch, an error message for this was printed both for explicit and implicit :rundo (implicit being when undofile is set in the vimrc, and the undo file is automatically loaded). Some testers were peeved by error messages popping up indicating outdated undo files for the automatic undo file load, so I removed them unless the verbose mode was greater than 0. But it makes sense to display the messages for explicit :rundo always; I will make that change.

      I'll keep on testing it.

      Thanks for your work!

      - Jordan

      Message 73 of 73 , Aug 13 12:45 PM
        Roland Puntaier wrote:

        > On 08.12.2010 22:43:06
        > Bram@... wrote :
        >
        > > Can you please also write some text for the help about this?
        > > I'll change the E999 to a valid number, we should have a tag in the help
        > > file that explains the message.
        >
        > In my yesterday's patch I have changed the E999 line in if_python.c and
        > if_python3.c.
        > Please restore it to the original line.
        >
        > Here is the diff for if_pyth.txt with a E999 tag.

        Thanks, I'll include it.

        57. You begin to wonder how on earth your service provider is allowed to call
        200 hours per month "unlimited."