Re: Encoding clash: cannot run :helptags after installing French-language help

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2010
      On 02/05/10 19:37, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      >> The French-language help includes a tags-fr. It works -- as long as I
      >> don't want to install another helpfile in the same directory. Then
      >> :helptags $VIM/vimfiles/doc gives an error on hebrew.frx which has a
      >> different 'fileencoding' than the rest. The problem is that most of the
      >> *.frx files are in 8-bit Latin1 (with âàçéêèëîïôûù but not œ) while
      >> hebrew.frx is in UTF-8+BOM (with Hebrew letters in UTF-8), so even
      >> removing the BOM doesn't clear the error: it's still Latin1 vs. UTF-8
      >> (even though all help *tags*, |references|, 'options' etc. within all
      >> files are in 7-bit ASCII). Trying to run :helptags on that directory
      >> (e.g. as part of :UseVimball) then truncates tags-fr to zero length.
      >>
      >> Bram: I believe the E670 message (at ex_cmds.c line 6398) and the
      >> corresponding check are more a hinder than a help.
      >>
      >> Another possibility would be to convert the whole French help to UTF-8,
      >> but then it would no more be readable by "tiny" "small" or "normal"
      >> -multi_byte versions of Vim. Anyway the README-fr says this help is for
      >> Vim 6.2.017, and yet it is the only language which enjoys "full"
      >> translation of the Vim help. Maybe we should declare that help
      >> translation is a fiasco for lack of adequate manpower?
      >
      > What is your 'enc' option set to when you use the :helptags command?
      > I believe it should work when it is utf-8, then the latin1 files can be
      > converted from latin1 to utf-8 and the generated tags file is in utf-8.
      > The digraph.txt file is also in latin1.

      I did it in gvim (Huge) for GTK2/Gnome2, with 'encoding' set to UTF-8
      (my system locale is en_US.UTF-8, and my vimrc sets 'enc' to "utf-8"
      within an if clause: if has('multi_byte') | if &enc !~? '^u' | etc.). It
      truncated tags-fr to zero-length with error E670. I also have the
      following at the end of the vimrc section where I set 'enc' to UTF-8:

      set fencs=ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1
      setg bomb fenc=utf-8

      The file hebrew.frx (mentioned in the E670 error message) is distributed
      with a BOM but even after ":setl nobomb | x" I still got the error on a
      subsequent :helptags run (in the same gvim session).

      Yes, digraph.txt is also in 8-bit Latin1, and arabic.txt is in UTF-8 but
      without BOM, and its first multibyte codepoint is at line 282. English
      hebrew.txt (I don't have *.frx anymore, see below), is also in UTF-8
      without BOM, with the first multibyte codepoint at line 85.

      For some reason, "make install" which runs "make installruntime" which
      runs "make installrtbase" which runs "cd ../runtime/doc && make vimtags"
      which runs 'vim -u NONE -esX -c "helptags ++t ." -c quit', never gives
      me that error. Maybe it's the BOM after all.

      I finally did (before my OP actually)

      :!rm -vf tags-fr *.frx

      removing the whole French-language help.

      AMAZING BUT TRUE ...

      If all the salmon caught in Canada in one year were laid end to end
      across the Sahara Desert, the smell would be absolutely awful.