Re: Windows 7 64bit - use 32bit or 64bit Vim?

    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2010
      George V. Reilly wrote:

      > > I regularily build my on Vim using VS 2008.
      > >
      > > I have just been upgraded to Windows 7 64bit and am beginning to set it up.
      > >
      > > Seems you always have to choose if you want (or can use) the 32bit
      > > version of software or find a 64bit version.
      > >
      > > Now, since I build my own Vim, I guess I can get VS 2008 to build me a
      > > 64bit version of Vim.
      > > Here are my problems:
      > >
      > > 1. I use Perl plugins daily (Perl64 exists).
      > > 2. I use Python 2.5 (not that often, but a few plugins which use it),
      > > I am not certain if a 64 bit version of this exists.
      > > 3. All my other plugins written in VimScript should of course be fine.
      > >
      > > Even if I can compile my Vim using the 64bit Perl version, I am not
      > > certain if my perl modules have 64bit versions, or should that all be
      > > resolved when I simply install them? Or do the authors have to make
      > > 64bit changes to make them work in the first place?
      > >
      > > Just looking for some feedback on what others have done on the 64bit
      > > versions of Windows which are available these days.
      > >
      > I'm the maintainer of http://code.google.com/p/vim-win3264/. The main reason
      > for the existence of the Win64 version is Explorer integration. You have to
      > have a 64-bit version of gvimext.dll on Win64, so that you can right-click
      > in Explorer and get Vim-related commands. The other reason for the Win64
      > version is my quixotic quest to make Vim run cleanly on Win64. It's hard to
      > imagine anyone truly needing >4GB for their Vim process address space.
      > The actual (g)vim.exe binary doesn't need to be 64-bit. Win32 binaries run
      > fine on Win64. Indeed, it's simpler to build a 32-bit (g)vim.exe, as all the
      > language DLLs need to be available in 64-bit flavors too. The only language
      > that I know for sure works as a native Win64 DLL is Python 2.6. Even that
      > has problems if you're trying to run Python C extensions, since you have to
      > figure out how to get a Win64 build of the C extension. I gave up the last
      > time I tried. I'm using the 32-bit version of Python 2.6 on Win64. (I think
      > the Win64 support in Python 2.5 is not recommended.)
      > I tried to build Vim with Ruby 1.9 DLL support earlier this month. I
      > abandoned the effort when I realized that the MinGW headers included with
      > Ruby 1.9 weren't going to compile with the MSVC compiler.
      > I've never tried to get a 64-bit version of Perl running with Win64 Vim.
      > I think a better solution would be a smarter Windows installer for Vim which
      > included Win32 and Win64 copies of gvimext.dll and a Win32 gvim.exe, that
      > installed the appropriate flavor of the shell extension DLL.

      That sounds like the best way to go. Does NSIS have a feature to detect
      Windows being 32 or 64 bit? Then we should be able to install the right
      version of gvimext.dll.

      I hope we can make this work soon, after changing the Windows installer
      it should be tested properly.

      A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time