Re: Regular expression: **

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2010
      Hi Matt!

      On Mo, 12 Apr 2010, Matt Wozniski wrote:

      > On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Tom Link <micathom@...> wrote:
      > >> I believe this is a special case, that is mentioned at :h  /star
      > >
      > > Thanks. I missed that paragraph.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Tom
      >
      > O_o I never knew that one, either. Huh.

      This was probably some traditional behaviour. grep and nvi also match
      the same way and looking into the POSIX specification found at
      http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap09.html
      I find this behaviour explicitly stated for BREs and even for EREs this
      behaviour is undefined.

      regards,
      Christian