Re: Planning Vim 7.3

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 73 , Apr 12, 2010
      On 11/04/10 22:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Christian Brabandt wrote:
      >
      >> Are you considering any patches from
      >> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/web/vim-patches
      >> for inclusion?
      >
      > Yes, but many of these patches are not mature. E.g., first one,
      > "Improved regular expression engine", is still lacking the tests to
      > verify that it doesn't break anything. That's a pity, because it can
      > make syntax highlighting much faster.
      >
      > I want to avoid that I include something that triggers a long sequence
      > of bug fixes. "Works fine for me" is not always a good indication.
      > 7.3 is going to be a stable release, thus I don't want to take too much
      > risc. Part of my work will be to estimate the risc, which involves
      > carefully looking through the code changes.

      It is true that they are in different stages of development. Here are my
      top five; not in preference order.

      #14 (Vince Negri's conceal/ownsyntax/cursorbind) already has a long
      track record. I first heard about it when I first learned about Steve
      Hall's Vim for Windows, that must have been in Vim 6.2 or 6.3 time, and
      it was not new even then. Has documentation. Maybe too controversial
      (not enough "mainline"-like) to be included by default? OTOH it has been
      victim of bit-rotting in the past (i.e. conflict with "mainline"
      patches) and of course bringing it in would eliminate that problem
      forever. A compile-time option maybe (or two, or three)? You're the boss.

      #13 (Access W32 clipboard from Cygwin "Unix" Vim) is interesting but
      still in beta. IIUC ifdeffed by whatever FEAT_* corresponds to
      has('win32unix'). Bring 'em in or let it bake some more?

      #10 (Variable tabstops) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it.
      Reportedly still in alpha. Probably wait some more (Vim 8.0 ?) but keep
      an eye on it.

      #9 (Relative line numbers) sounds interesting. I haven't tested it. Its
      authors say "it works". I don't feel competent to evaluate it by
      eyeballing the code.

      #7 (Bill McCarthy's additional float functions). This one I've taken up
      in my "Huge" Vim. Not a single problem AFAICT. Code examination shows
      that it is done cleanly and simply, within #ifdef FEAT_FLOAT, and does
      not interfere with other stuff outside the "call function -> return
      value" codepath. IMHO this one is the most worthy of including into
      mainline Vim (and perhaps the least risky). Maybe a one-time check in a
      build with FEAT_EVAL on and FEAT_FLOAT off to make sure no #ifdef was
      forgotten. (I already compile a Tiny build without +eval in addition to
      my Huge build, from the same source, and no problems there either.)
      Documentation exists and is well-written, as a separate helpfile to
      avoid problems with rsync; probably merge that into eval.txt.

      n = ((n >> 1) & 0x55555555) | ((n << 1) & 0xaaaaaaaa);
      n = ((n >> 2) & 0x33333333) | ((n << 2) & 0xcccccccc);
      n = ((n >> 4) & 0x0f0f0f0f) | ((n << 4) & 0xf0f0f0f0);
      n = ((n >> 8) & 0x00ff00ff) | ((n << 8) & 0xff00ff00);
      n = ((n >> 16) & 0x0000ffff) | ((n << 16) & 0xffff0000);

      -- C code which reverses the bits in a word.

      Message 73 of 73 , Aug 13, 2010
        Roland Puntaier wrote:

        > On 08.12.2010 22:43:06
        > Bram@... wrote :
        >
        > > Can you please also write some text for the help about this?
        > > I'll change the E999 to a valid number, we should have a tag in the help
        > > file that explains the message.
        >
        > In my yesterday's patch I have changed the E999 line in if_python.c and
        > if_python3.c.
        > Please restore it to the original line.
        >
        > Here is the diff for if_pyth.txt with a E999 tag.

        Thanks, I'll include it.

        57. You begin to wonder how on earth your service provider is allowed to call
        200 hours per month "unlimited."