Re: Error in the management of the jump list when using File browser (windows or Linux)

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 6 11:41 AM
      Charles Campbell wrote:

      > Lech Lorens wrote:
      > > On 24-Feb-2010 Jean Johner <jean.johner@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Hello,
      > >>
      > >> A still simpler case showing a problem with File browser and Ctrl-O/
      > >> Ctrl-I
      > >>
      > >> Suppress the ~/(.,_)viminfo file.
      > >>
      > >> Type vim test1 (file1 opens at line 1)
      > >> Type :e . (The file browser opens at line 8 OK)
      > >> Type Ctrl-O twice (Return to file1, OK)
      > >> Type Ctrl-I (Return to File browser, OK)
      > >> Type Ctrl-O (Nothing happens, not OK)
      > >> Type Ctrl-O: error message E19 : Mark has invalid line number, not OK
      > >>
      > >> Best regards
      > >>
      > >> Jean Johner
      > >>

      > > This is partly the fault of :keepjumps not being respected for the :put
      > > command used in the Netrw plugin, partly the fault of Netrw setting
      > > marks (in Gdb I found "mark '" being executed) while producing
      > > a directory listing.
      > >
      > > I already sent a patch solving the first problem.
      > >
      > > I don't know if it is essential for Netrw to set the ' mark, but it
      > > seems that it messes up the jump list when this list is being traversed
      > > by pressing <C-o> or <C-i>. Maybe Charles Campbell could respond to my
      > > accusation? ;-)
      > >

      > Netrw does use and set the ' mark; however, I note that :keepj mark '
      > protects the jump list. I'll put that keepj in there with it. What I
      > wish was that there was
      >
      > :lockjumps (implemented with a counter; this command would
      > increment it)
      > :unlockjumps (would decrement the counter; need an equivalent qty of
      > :unlockjumps to unlock the jumps, perhaps :unlockjumps! would reset
      > the jumplock counter and unlock the jumps)
      >
      > instead of having to put keepjumps all over the place.

      That has the problem that when something goes wrong and the
      ":unlockjumps" is not reached the editor doesn't work properly.

      Perhaps we should support ":keepjumps! call DoTheWork()" ?

      --
      FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to continue doing nothing.

    • Jean Johner
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7 12:56 AM
        Hello,
        The situation is improving rapidly.
        I just installed netrw v137o.
        1) Using a .vimrc containing just the following line:
        let g:netrw_fastbrowse = 2
        and doing
        gvim file1
        :e. (netrw opens at line 1 with line ../ in grey OK)
        click on file2 (file2 opens)
        :e. (netrw opens at line file2 in grey OK)
        click on file3 (file3 opens)
        Now do CTRL-O several times:
        netrw opens with file3 in grey (OK)
        file2 opens
        netrw opens with file2 in grey (OK)
        file1 opens

        The way back with CTRL-I is OK

        For case 1), the behaviour is then perfect.

        2) Using a .vimrc containing just the 2 following lines:
        let g:netrw_fastbrowse = 2
        let g:netrw_liststyle = 2
        and doing
        gvim file1
        :e. (netrw opens at line 8 with the cursor on ../, why not on line 1)
        click on file2 (file2 opens)
        :e. (netrw opens at line 1 with the cursor at the beginning of the
        line containing file2, why not on file2)
        click on file3 (file3 opens)
        Now do CTRL-O several times:
        netrw opens at line 1 with the cursor on file3 (OK)
        file2 opens
        netrw opens at line 1 with the cursor on file2 (OK)
        file1 opens

        The way back with CTRL-I is OK

        So just 2 little imperfections in case 2)

        Best regards
        Jean Johner

      • Jean Johner
        Message 3 of 9 , May 19, 2010
          Error when opening more than 3 files with :e. (v138b) see below:

          Using a .vimrc containing just the 2 following lines:
          let g:netrw_fastbrowse = 2
          let g:netrw_liststyle = 2
          and doing
          gvim file1
          :e.
          click on file2 (file2 opens)
          :e.
          click on file3 (file3 opens)
          :e.
          click on file4 (file4 opens)

          Now do CTRL-O several times:
          netrw opens at line 1 with the cursor on file4 (OK)
          file3 opens
          netrw opens at line 1 with the cursor on file3 (OK)
          file2 opens
          file1 opens

          Conclusion: the jump before file1 with netrw with cursor on file2 has
          vanished.

          Remark: this does not occur with "let g:netrw_liststyle = 2" omitted
          in .vimrc

          Best regards

          Jean Johner