Re: compiling gvim

  • Shawn H Corey
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5 5:45 AM
      Nisha Chaudhari wrote:
      > Hello all,
      > Can anybody tell us how to compile gvim using vim72 source code on
      > ubuntu 9.04?

      I never tried this but I can get you started. First, you need to
      download build-essential. You can do this with
      System->Administration->Synpatic Package Manager. And while you're at
      it, download manpages-dev. These are the documentation for the items in
      build-essential.

      --
      Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
      Shawn

      as it is about coding.

      I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
      thingy.

      Eliminate software piracy: use only FLOSS.

    • Nisha Chaudhari
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 6 2:47 AM
        Thanx a lot!!!

        On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 6:52 PM, John Little <john.b.little@...> wrote:
        > how to compile gvim using vim72 source code on ubuntu

        1) Get the source.  I like the Mercurial repository:
           mkdir vim
           hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim
        (You'd need mercurial installed for that.)

        2) Install the headers and libraries vim wants:

           sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk

        That assumes you want gvim.

        3) compile:
           cd vim
           make

        4) install
           sudo make install
        will install to /usr/local; you'll want /usr/local/bin in your path
        ahead of /usr/bin.

        It's worth a read of Tony's compiling page:
        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
        I like his method of setting configuration options, but not the
        patching method, using hg is much simpler.

        Regards, John

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 6 7:09 AM
          On Apr 5, 9:05 am, Lech Lorens <lech.lor...@...> wrote:
          > > 2) Install the headers and libraries vim wants:
          >
          > >     sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk
          >
          > Don't use apt-get for that. Use synaptic or aptitude instead. This will
          > help you keep your system clean after installing / uninstalling multiple
          > packages.

          The first I heard of the build-dep trick was on this list. I thought
          that was pretty cool. Now you tell us synaptic can do that as well?
          This is awesome! How?

        • Lech Lorens
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 6 11:31 AM
            On 06-Apr-2010 Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

            > The first I heard of the build-dep trick was on this list. I thought
            > that was pretty cool. Now you tell us synaptic can do that as well?
            > This is awesome! How?

            Thanks for noticing build-dep. I didn't.

            --
            Cheers,
            Lech

          • Benjamin Fritz
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 6 11:59 AM
              On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Lech Lorens <lech.lorens@...> wrote:
              > On 06-Apr-2010 Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> The first I heard of the build-dep trick was on this list. I thought
              >> that was pretty cool. Now you tell us synaptic can do that as well?
              >> This is awesome! How?
              >
              > Thanks for noticing build-dep. I didn't.

              Nuts. Oh well, I'm no worse off than before!