OT: Automatic removal of packages (was: Re: compiling gvim)

  • James Vega
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2010
      On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Lech Lorens <lech.lorens@...> wrote:
      > On 05-Apr-2010 John Little <john.b.little@...> wrote:
      >> > how to compile gvim using vim72 source code on ubuntu
      >>
      >> 1) Get the source.  I like the Mercurial repository:
      >>     mkdir vim
      >>     hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim
      >> (You'd need mercurial installed for that.)
      >>
      >> 2) Install the headers and libraries vim wants:
      >>
      >>     sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk
      >
      > Don't use apt-get for that. Use synaptic or aptitude instead. This will
      > help you keep your system clean after installing / uninstalling multiple
      > packages.

      The functionality of recognizing which packages were automatically
      installed as dependencies has been in apt for a while, so pretty much
      any package manager has that functionality now.

      As of apt 0.7.20, you can set the apt config variable
      APT::Get::Build-Dep-Automatic to true[0] and any packages installed via
      build-dep will be marked as automatically installed but with no package
      that pulled them in. So cleaning them up is a simple matter of "apt-get
      autoremove" after you're done using the packages.

      [0]: You can do this either on a case-per-case basis by adding "-o
      APT::Get::Build-Dep-Automatic=true" to the build-dep command or
      permanently by putting it in /etc/apt/apt.conf.
      --
      James

    • Lech Lorens
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2010
        On 05-Apr-2010 James Vega <jamessan@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Lech Lorens <lech.lorens@...> wrote:
        >
        > The functionality [...] has been in apt for a while,

        Thanks for pointing this out. I feel old now ;-)

        --
        Cheers,
        Lech