Re: compiling gvim

  • Shawn H Corey
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5, 2010
      Nisha Chaudhari wrote:
      > Hello all,
      > Can anybody tell us how to compile gvim using vim72 source code on
      > ubuntu 9.04?

      I never tried this but I can get you started. First, you need to
      download build-essential. You can do this with
      System->Administration->Synpatic Package Manager. And while you're at
      it, download manpages-dev. These are the documentation for the items in
      build-essential.

      --
      Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
      Shawn

      as it is about coding.

      I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
      thingy.

      Eliminate software piracy: use only FLOSS.

    • John Little
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5, 2010
        > how to compile gvim using vim72 source code on ubuntu

        1) Get the source. I like the Mercurial repository:
        mkdir vim
        hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim
        (You'd need mercurial installed for that.)

        2) Install the headers and libraries vim wants:

        sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk

        That assumes you want gvim.

        3) compile:
        cd vim
        make

        4) install
        sudo make install
        will install to /usr/local; you'll want /usr/local/bin in your path
        ahead of /usr/bin.

        It's worth a read of Tony's compiling page:
        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
        I like his method of setting configuration options, but not the
        patching method, using hg is much simpler.

        Regards, John

      • Lech Lorens
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2010
          On 05-Apr-2010 John Little <john.b.little@...> wrote:
          > > how to compile gvim using vim72 source code on ubuntu
          >
          > 1) Get the source. I like the Mercurial repository:
          > mkdir vim
          > hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim
          > (You'd need mercurial installed for that.)
          >
          > 2) Install the headers and libraries vim wants:
          >
          > sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk

          Don't use apt-get for that. Use synaptic or aptitude instead. This will
          help you keep your system clean after installing / uninstalling multiple
          packages.

          --
          Cheers,
          Lech

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2010
            Hi Lech!

            On Mo, 05 Apr 2010, Lech Lorens wrote:

            > Don't use apt-get for that. Use synaptic or aptitude instead. This will
            > help you keep your system clean after installing / uninstalling multiple
            > packages.

            A recent enough apt should also ensure that. I think, there should be no
            difference anymore between aptitude and apt anymore.

            regards,
            Christian

          • Nisha Chaudhari
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 6, 2010
              Thanx a lot!!!

              On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 6:52 PM, John Little <john.b.little@...> wrote:
              > how to compile gvim using vim72 source code on ubuntu

              1) Get the source.  I like the Mercurial repository:
                 mkdir vim
                 hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim
              (You'd need mercurial installed for that.)

              2) Install the headers and libraries vim wants:

                 sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk

              That assumes you want gvim.

              3) compile:
                 cd vim
                 make

              4) install
                 sudo make install
              will install to /usr/local; you'll want /usr/local/bin in your path
              ahead of /usr/bin.

              It's worth a read of Tony's compiling page:
              http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
              I like his method of setting configuration options, but not the
              patching method, using hg is much simpler.

              Regards, John

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 6, 2010
                On Apr 5, 9:05 am, Lech Lorens <lech.lor...@...> wrote:
                > > 2) Install the headers and libraries vim wants:
                >
                > >     sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk
                >
                > Don't use apt-get for that. Use synaptic or aptitude instead. This will
                > help you keep your system clean after installing / uninstalling multiple
                > packages.

                The first I heard of the build-dep trick was on this list. I thought
                that was pretty cool. Now you tell us synaptic can do that as well?
                This is awesome! How?

              • Lech Lorens
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 6, 2010
                  On 06-Apr-2010 Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                  > The first I heard of the build-dep trick was on this list. I thought
                  > that was pretty cool. Now you tell us synaptic can do that as well?
                  > This is awesome! How?

                  Thanks for noticing build-dep. I didn't.

                  --
                  Cheers,
                  Lech

                • Benjamin Fritz
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 6, 2010
                    On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Lech Lorens <lech.lorens@...> wrote:
                    > On 06-Apr-2010 Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> The first I heard of the build-dep trick was on this list. I thought
                    >> that was pretty cool. Now you tell us synaptic can do that as well?
                    >> This is awesome! How?
                    >
                    > Thanks for noticing build-dep. I didn't.

                    Nuts. Oh well, I'm no worse off than before!