compiling gvim

  • Nisha Chaudhari
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5 4:46 AM
      Hello all,
      Can anybody tell us how to compile gvim using vim72 source code on ubuntu 9.04?

    • Shawn H Corey
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5 5:45 AM
        Nisha Chaudhari wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > Can anybody tell us how to compile gvim using vim72 source code on
        > ubuntu 9.04?

        I never tried this but I can get you started. First, you need to
        download build-essential. You can do this with
        System->Administration->Synpatic Package Manager. And while you're at
        it, download manpages-dev. These are the documentation for the items in
        build-essential.

        --
        Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
        Shawn

        as it is about coding.

        I like Perl; it's the only language where you can bless your
        thingy.

        Eliminate software piracy: use only FLOSS.

      • John Little
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5 6:22 AM
          > how to compile gvim using vim72 source code on ubuntu

          1) Get the source. I like the Mercurial repository:
          mkdir vim
          hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim
          (You'd need mercurial installed for that.)

          2) Install the headers and libraries vim wants:

          sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk

          That assumes you want gvim.

          3) compile:
          cd vim
          make

          4) install
          sudo make install
          will install to /usr/local; you'll want /usr/local/bin in your path
          ahead of /usr/bin.

          It's worth a read of Tony's compiling page:
          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
          I like his method of setting configuration options, but not the
          patching method, using hg is much simpler.

          Regards, John

        • Lech Lorens
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5 7:05 AM
            On 05-Apr-2010 John Little <john.b.little@...> wrote:
            > > how to compile gvim using vim72 source code on ubuntu
            >
            > 1) Get the source. I like the Mercurial repository:
            > mkdir vim
            > hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim
            > (You'd need mercurial installed for that.)
            >
            > 2) Install the headers and libraries vim wants:
            >
            > sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk

            Don't use apt-get for that. Use synaptic or aptitude instead. This will
            help you keep your system clean after installing / uninstalling multiple
            packages.

            --
            Cheers,
            Lech

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5 11:57 AM
              Hi Lech!

              On Mo, 05 Apr 2010, Lech Lorens wrote:

              > Don't use apt-get for that. Use synaptic or aptitude instead. This will
              > help you keep your system clean after installing / uninstalling multiple
              > packages.

              A recent enough apt should also ensure that. I think, there should be no
              difference anymore between aptitude and apt anymore.

              regards,
              Christian

            • Nisha Chaudhari
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 6 2:47 AM
                Thanx a lot!!!

                On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 6:52 PM, John Little <john.b.little@...> wrote:
                > how to compile gvim using vim72 source code on ubuntu

                1) Get the source.  I like the Mercurial repository:
                   mkdir vim
                   hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim
                (You'd need mercurial installed for that.)

                2) Install the headers and libraries vim wants:

                   sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk

                That assumes you want gvim.

                3) compile:
                   cd vim
                   make

                4) install
                   sudo make install
                will install to /usr/local; you'll want /usr/local/bin in your path
                ahead of /usr/bin.

                It's worth a read of Tony's compiling page:
                http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
                I like his method of setting configuration options, but not the
                patching method, using hg is much simpler.

                Regards, John

              • Ben Fritz
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 6 7:09 AM
                  On Apr 5, 9:05 am, Lech Lorens <lech.lor...@...> wrote:
                  > > 2) Install the headers and libraries vim wants:
                  >
                  > >     sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gtk
                  >
                  > Don't use apt-get for that. Use synaptic or aptitude instead. This will
                  > help you keep your system clean after installing / uninstalling multiple
                  > packages.

                  The first I heard of the build-dep trick was on this list. I thought
                  that was pretty cool. Now you tell us synaptic can do that as well?
                  This is awesome! How?

                • Lech Lorens
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 6 11:31 AM
                    On 06-Apr-2010 Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                    > The first I heard of the build-dep trick was on this list. I thought
                    > that was pretty cool. Now you tell us synaptic can do that as well?
                    > This is awesome! How?

                    Thanks for noticing build-dep. I didn't.

                    --
                    Cheers,
                    Lech

                  • Benjamin Fritz
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 6 11:59 AM
                      On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Lech Lorens <lech.lorens@...> wrote:
                      > On 06-Apr-2010 Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> The first I heard of the build-dep trick was on this list. I thought
                      >> that was pretty cool. Now you tell us synaptic can do that as well?
                      >> This is awesome! How?
                      >
                      > Thanks for noticing build-dep. I didn't.

                      Nuts. Oh well, I'm no worse off than before!