Re: vim Syntax Highlighting

  • Charles Campbell
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2010
      James Vega wrote:
      > On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Charles Campbell
      > <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:
      >
      >> To make a custom C++ syntax file, I suggest:
      >>
      >> mkdir -p $HOME/.vim/syntax
      >> cp $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/cpp.vim $HOME/.vim/syntax
      >>
      >> and modify $HOME/.vim/syntax/cpp.vim to suit.
      >>

      > It depends on the complexity of what's being added. If it can stand on
      > its own, $HOME/.vim/after/syntax/cpp.vim would likely be better so
      > future updates to upstream's cpp.vim aren't lost.

      Possibly -- but consider that syntax files are dependent on statement
      ordering for priority. Consequently a line of syntax may work correctly
      when placed properly in a syntax file but not work at all right when
      placed at the end of the file, which essentially is what putting such
      modifications into ...after/syntax is equivalent to doing.

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell