Clicking the mouse doesn't change the jump list?

  • Matt Wozniski
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2010
      Is it intentional that moving the cursor by clicking the mouse doesn't
      modify the jumplist? It seems strange that you can't jump back to
      where you were before clicking with `` for instance. You can get
      around it with a mapping like

      noremap <LeftMouse> m'<LeftMouse>

      but that seems like it shouldn't be necessary...

      ~Matt

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4 3:04 PM
        On 08/02/10 09:00, Matt Wozniski wrote:
        > Is it intentional that moving the cursor by clicking the mouse doesn't
        > modify the jumplist? It seems strange that you can't jump back to
        > where you were before clicking with `` for instance. You can get
        > around it with a mapping like
        >
        > noremap<LeftMouse> m'<LeftMouse>
        >
        > but that seems like it shouldn't be necessary...
        >
        > ~Matt

        I'm surprised that nobody replied to this post in almost two months.

        You cannot click the mouse outside the window, so the maximum distance
        between the "old" and "new" cursor positions for that window when you
        jump by clicking the mouse is one window height. I suppose that this
        means clicking the mouse does not qualify as a "long jump".

        The list of "jump commands" is a closed set, enumerated under ":help
        jump-motions"; only keyboard actions are included. The inclusion of L M
        H but not <LeftMouse>, all of which are described together at the very
        end of motion.txt, and none of which moves by more than one window
        height, seems illogical to me too.

        Lockwood's Long Shot:
        The chances of getting eaten up by a lion on Main Street aren't
        one in a million, but once would be enough.