Re: Problem with Mingw crosscompiled vim on Win64

  • Andy Kittner
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2010
      On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:15:06AM +0100, Andy Kittner wrote:
      >>It seems I found what actually is wrong. In gui_w32.c we create ASCII
      >>window class for text area, but _TextAreaWndProc forwards messages to
      >>vim_WindowProc which in turn might call wide window proc!
      >>The solution is to create wide text area window class if parent window is wide.
      >
      >Nice thanks for looking into it some more.
      >
      >>Attached patch solved my problem. Can you please try it and check
      >>whether this helps you too or not.
      >
      >I only did a quick check and got an error at startup, I'll take a
      >closer look this evening when I get back from work.
      Oh boy, if there is an award for stupidest person 2010, then I just got
      the lead by a wide margin. When I tried out your patch this morning I
      made a 32bit build and put it in the directory with my last build, which
      as the directory name would have told had I bothered to read it,
      contained 64bit versions of the iconv and gettext dlls...
      Note to self: Don't try patches _before_ the morning coffee.

      Long story short, your patch works fine for me too.

      Thanks,
      Andy
      --
      Too often I find that the volume of paper expands to fill the available
      briefcases.
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2010
        > Long story short, your patch works fine for me too.

        Cool, thank you!

        --
        Sergey Khorev
        http://sites.google.com/site/khorser

      • John Marriott
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 6, 2010
          Hello. I have been following this thread with some interest because I
          have also experienced the problem of being unable to build vim on Win64
          using mingw64.

          I have tried both the official patch and the unofficial one provided by
          Sergey with success (ie I can build 64-bit gvim on Win64 using mingw64).
          However, the "File->Save As..." command no longer works. It displays "
          :browse confirm saveas" at the bottom of the screen but does not display
          the file/folder "save as" requester window.

          My OS is Win7 x64. MinGW is 4.4.4 20100129 (prerelease) autobuild from
          the MinGW 64 site.

          Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

          Regards
          John

        • Andy Kittner
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 7, 2010
            On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 09:07:38AM +1100, John Marriott wrote:
            >[...]
            >mingw64). However, the "File->Save As..." command no longer works. It
            >displays "
            >:browse confirm saveas" at the bottom of the screen but does not
            >display the file/folder "save as" requester window.
            >
            >My OS is Win7 x64. MinGW is 4.4.4 20100129 (prerelease) autobuild from
            >the MinGW 64 site.
            >
            >Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
            I never noticed this, as I don't use the gui browse dialogs, but I could
            reproduce it. I traced it to some compatibility code with NT 4 (
            use of OPENFILENAME_SIZE_VERSION_400 instead of the actual size of the
            OPENFILENAMEW struct). With the attached patch the compatibility code is
            commented out, and the browse dialog works again for me.

            According to gdb fileStruct.lStructSize ends up as 8 bytes if
            OPENFILENAME_SIZE_VERSION_400 is used, which seems quite small to me.
            I'll try to see what other compilers (should have a vc-express and the
            original mingw32 lying around here somewhere), maybe it's just some
            bogus define in the mingw64 headers.

            Regards,
            Andy
            --
            Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.
            -- J.R.R. Tolkien
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2010
              On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 12:46:34PM +0100, Andy Kittner wrote:
              >According to gdb fileStruct.lStructSize ends up as 8 bytes
              On second reading I see that the code uses
              sizeof(OPENFILENAME_SIZE_VERSION_400) which is most likely not intended
              here, as OPENFILENAME_SIZE_VERSION_400 already contains the required size.

              Attached patch should fix the issue properly.

              Regards,
              Andy
              --
              I WILL NOT CUT CORNERS
              " " " " " "

              Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode 7F11
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2010
                Andy Kittner wrote:

                > On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 12:46:34PM +0100, Andy Kittner wrote:
                > >According to gdb fileStruct.lStructSize ends up as 8 bytes
                > On second reading I see that the code uses
                > sizeof(OPENFILENAME_SIZE_VERSION_400) which is most likely not intended
                > here, as OPENFILENAME_SIZE_VERSION_400 already contains the required size.
                >
                > Attached patch should fix the issue properly.

                Thanks! Strange that this ever worked.

                --
                Spam seems to be something useful to novices. Later you realize that
                it's a bunch of indigestable junk that only clogs your system.

              • John Marriott
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2010
                  Hi Andy,

                  You're right. It's fixed now.

                  Thanks very much!
                  Regards
                  John

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2010
                    On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 07:57:18AM +1100, John Marriott wrote:
                    >Hi Andy,
                    >
                    >You're right. It's fixed now.
                    >
                    >Thanks very much!
                    >Regards
                    >John
                    Your welcome! I use vim almost daily, so a little bug hunting is the
                    least I can do to give something back. Let me take this opportunity to
                    say a big thank you to Bram, and all the countless others, who have
                    maintained and improved vim over the years. Especially since it's tools
                    like vim, which give us geeks the reputation of being able to to magic ;)

                    Regards,
                    Andy
                    --
                    <carpaski> 84C does not require better cooling... It requires the
                    heatsink be reattached.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 13, 2010
                      Is there a chance that this patch will become official?