Re: Patch 7.2.356

  • Chris Sutcliffe
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
      > I can't reproduce the problem. Do you know the exact steps I have to
      > take to do it?

      I can reproduce it by editing a cpp file with foldmethod=syntax,
      typing 'zO' to open a fold, go in to the previously folded function
      and type ':w' and the fold is closed.

      Chris

      --
      Chris Sutcliffe
      http://emergedesktop.org

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
        On Feb 4, 7:14 am, Chris Sutcliffe <ir0nh...@...> wrote:
        > > I can't reproduce the problem. Do you know the exact steps I have to
        > > take to do it?
        >
        > I can reproduce it by editing a cpp file with foldmethod=syntax,
        > typing 'zO' to open a fold, go in to the previously folded function
        > and type ':w' and the fold is closed.

        Following these steps does not reproduce the problem for me, running
        the "Cream" install on Windows which is now up to 7.2.356.

        Thinking maybe something in my config was compensating for something,
        I tried again:

        gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
        :set rtp-=$HOME/vimfiles
        :set rtp-=$HOME/vimfiles/after
        :filetype plugin indent on
        :syntax on
        :e test.c
        :set fdm=syntax

        I then open a fold for a function, edit the function, and :w.

        The fold continues to stay open.

        Maybe there's something in YOUR config causing the issue? Can you
        reproduce with none of your customizations, as I have tried?

      • Chris Sutcliffe
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
          > Thinking maybe something in my config was compensating for something,
          > I tried again:
          >
          > gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
          > :set rtp-=$HOME/vimfiles
          > :set rtp-=$HOME/vimfiles/after
          > :filetype plugin indent on
          > :syntax on
          > :e test.c
          > :set fdm=syntax
          >
          > I then open a fold for a function, edit the function, and :w.
          >
          > The fold continues to stay open.
          >
          > Maybe there's something in YOUR config causing the issue? Can you
          > reproduce with none of your customizations, as I have tried?

          It is indeed an issue in my config, in particular this line:

          au BufWritePost * nested filetype detect

          Which I use to re-read the ctags file so that Omni-complete has the
          latest information after a file is written. This worked without issue
          prior to this patch. Is there an alternate implementation I could use
          that would play nicely with this new implementation?

          Thank you,

          Chris

          --
          Chris Sutcliffe
          http://emergedesktop.org

        • James Vega
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
            On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Chris Sutcliffe <ir0nh34d@...> wrote:
            >> Thinking maybe something in my config was compensating for something,
            >> I tried again:
            >>
            >> gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
            >> :set rtp-=$HOME/vimfiles
            >> :set rtp-=$HOME/vimfiles/after
            >> :filetype plugin indent on
            >> :syntax on
            >> :e test.c
            >> :set fdm=syntax
            >>
            >> I then open a fold for a function, edit the function, and :w.
            >>
            >> The fold continues to stay open.
            >>
            >> Maybe there's something in YOUR config causing the issue? Can you
            >> reproduce with none of your customizations, as I have tried?
            >
            > It is indeed an issue in my config, in particular this line:
            >
            >        au BufWritePost * nested filetype detect
            >
            > Which I use to re-read the ctags file so that Omni-complete has the
            > latest information after a file is written.

            You shouldn't need to do this. If you have something automatically
            updating the tags database, Vim will always be up-to-date. Vim doesn't
            cache tags info. It always reads from the file. If you're seeing
            otherwise, then it may be that the omnicompletion script is caching the
            tag information and I'd consider that a bug.

            --
            James

          • Chris Sutcliffe
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
              >> It is indeed an issue in my config, in particular this line:
              >>
              >>        au BufWritePost * nested filetype detect
              >>
              >> Which I use to re-read the ctags file so that Omni-complete has the
              >> latest information after a file is written.
              >
              > You shouldn't need to do this.  If you have something automatically
              > updating the tags database, Vim will always be up-to-date.  Vim doesn't
              > cache tags info.  It always reads from the file.  If you're seeing
              > otherwise, then it may be that the omnicompletion script is caching the
              > tag information and I'd consider that a bug.

              I've sorted it out... I originally had:

              " Create tags file
              au FileType cpp call CreateTags()
              au BufWritePost * nested filetype detect

              Where:

              " Create CTags for all files in the current directory
              function! CreateTags()
              let currdir = expand('%:p:h')
              let currtags = currdir.'/tags'
              if getftime(expand('%')) > getftime(currtags)
              silent execute '!ctags *'
              endif
              endfunction

              Which would create a tags file in the current directory if the tags
              file was older than the age of the file being opened (based on the
              file type detection). In order to update the tags file when the file
              was written, I had to force a file type detection again.

              I've now changed it to:

              " Create tags file
              au FileType cpp call CreateTags()
              au BufWritePost * if &ft == 'cpp' | silent execute '!ctags *' | endif

              Which works in similar fashion but doesn't cause the undesired fold collapsing.

              Chris

              --
              Chris Sutcliffe
              http://emergedesktop.org

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
                The original problem may have been solved, but take a look at this
                current vim_use thread. A new one seems to have popped up:

                http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/9f4c69b6693e8838

              • Chris Sutcliffe
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010
                  > The original problem may have been solved, but take a look at this
                  > current vim_use thread. A new one seems to have popped up:
                  >
                  > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/9f4c69b6693e8838

                  Additionally, now doing a refresh with Ctrl-L also causes all the
                  folds to collapse (which didn't happen before).

                  Chris

                  --
                  Chris Sutcliffe
                  http://emergedesktop.org