Re: Patch 7.2.356

  • Lech Lorens
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
      On 4 February 2010 04:12, Chris Sutcliffe <ir0nh34d@...> wrote:
      >> Patch 7.2.356
      >> Problem:    When 'foldmethod' is changed not all folds are closed as expected.
      >> Solution:   In foldUpdate() correct the start position and reset fd_flags when
      >>            w_foldinvalid is set. (Lech Lorens)
      >> Files:      src/fold.c
      >
      > I think this patch may have caused an undesired side affect, in that
      > if I save a file (:w) with foldmethod set to 'syntax', the fold closes
      > on the line that I was editing.
      >
      > Chris

      I can't reproduce the problem. Do you know the exact steps I have to
      take to do it?

      Lech Lorens

    • Chris Sutcliffe
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
        > I can't reproduce the problem. Do you know the exact steps I have to
        > take to do it?

        I can reproduce it by editing a cpp file with foldmethod=syntax,
        typing 'zO' to open a fold, go in to the previously folded function
        and type ':w' and the fold is closed.

        Chris

        --
        Chris Sutcliffe
        http://emergedesktop.org

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
          On Feb 4, 7:14 am, Chris Sutcliffe <ir0nh...@...> wrote:
          > > I can't reproduce the problem. Do you know the exact steps I have to
          > > take to do it?
          >
          > I can reproduce it by editing a cpp file with foldmethod=syntax,
          > typing 'zO' to open a fold, go in to the previously folded function
          > and type ':w' and the fold is closed.

          Following these steps does not reproduce the problem for me, running
          the "Cream" install on Windows which is now up to 7.2.356.

          Thinking maybe something in my config was compensating for something,
          I tried again:

          gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
          :set rtp-=$HOME/vimfiles
          :set rtp-=$HOME/vimfiles/after
          :filetype plugin indent on
          :syntax on
          :e test.c
          :set fdm=syntax

          I then open a fold for a function, edit the function, and :w.

          The fold continues to stay open.

          Maybe there's something in YOUR config causing the issue? Can you
          reproduce with none of your customizations, as I have tried?

        • Chris Sutcliffe
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
            > Thinking maybe something in my config was compensating for something,
            > I tried again:
            >
            > gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
            > :set rtp-=$HOME/vimfiles
            > :set rtp-=$HOME/vimfiles/after
            > :filetype plugin indent on
            > :syntax on
            > :e test.c
            > :set fdm=syntax
            >
            > I then open a fold for a function, edit the function, and :w.
            >
            > The fold continues to stay open.
            >
            > Maybe there's something in YOUR config causing the issue? Can you
            > reproduce with none of your customizations, as I have tried?

            It is indeed an issue in my config, in particular this line:

            au BufWritePost * nested filetype detect

            Which I use to re-read the ctags file so that Omni-complete has the
            latest information after a file is written. This worked without issue
            prior to this patch. Is there an alternate implementation I could use
            that would play nicely with this new implementation?

            Thank you,

            Chris

            --
            Chris Sutcliffe
            http://emergedesktop.org

          • James Vega
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
              On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Chris Sutcliffe <ir0nh34d@...> wrote:
              >> Thinking maybe something in my config was compensating for something,
              >> I tried again:
              >>
              >> gvim -N -u NONE -i NONE
              >> :set rtp-=$HOME/vimfiles
              >> :set rtp-=$HOME/vimfiles/after
              >> :filetype plugin indent on
              >> :syntax on
              >> :e test.c
              >> :set fdm=syntax
              >>
              >> I then open a fold for a function, edit the function, and :w.
              >>
              >> The fold continues to stay open.
              >>
              >> Maybe there's something in YOUR config causing the issue? Can you
              >> reproduce with none of your customizations, as I have tried?
              >
              > It is indeed an issue in my config, in particular this line:
              >
              >        au BufWritePost * nested filetype detect
              >
              > Which I use to re-read the ctags file so that Omni-complete has the
              > latest information after a file is written.

              You shouldn't need to do this. If you have something automatically
              updating the tags database, Vim will always be up-to-date. Vim doesn't
              cache tags info. It always reads from the file. If you're seeing
              otherwise, then it may be that the omnicompletion script is caching the
              tag information and I'd consider that a bug.

              --
              James

            • Chris Sutcliffe
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
                >> It is indeed an issue in my config, in particular this line:
                >>
                >>        au BufWritePost * nested filetype detect
                >>
                >> Which I use to re-read the ctags file so that Omni-complete has the
                >> latest information after a file is written.
                >
                > You shouldn't need to do this.  If you have something automatically
                > updating the tags database, Vim will always be up-to-date.  Vim doesn't
                > cache tags info.  It always reads from the file.  If you're seeing
                > otherwise, then it may be that the omnicompletion script is caching the
                > tag information and I'd consider that a bug.

                I've sorted it out... I originally had:

                " Create tags file
                au FileType cpp call CreateTags()
                au BufWritePost * nested filetype detect

                Where:

                " Create CTags for all files in the current directory
                function! CreateTags()
                let currdir = expand('%:p:h')
                let currtags = currdir.'/tags'
                if getftime(expand('%')) > getftime(currtags)
                silent execute '!ctags *'
                endif
                endfunction

                Which would create a tags file in the current directory if the tags
                file was older than the age of the file being opened (based on the
                file type detection). In order to update the tags file when the file
                was written, I had to force a file type detection again.

                I've now changed it to:

                " Create tags file
                au FileType cpp call CreateTags()
                au BufWritePost * if &ft == 'cpp' | silent execute '!ctags *' | endif

                Which works in similar fashion but doesn't cause the undesired fold collapsing.

                Chris

                --
                Chris Sutcliffe
                http://emergedesktop.org

              • Ben Fritz
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 4, 2010
                  The original problem may have been solved, but take a look at this
                  current vim_use thread. A new one seems to have popped up:

                  http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/9f4c69b6693e8838

                • Chris Sutcliffe
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010
                    > The original problem may have been solved, but take a look at this
                    > current vim_use thread. A new one seems to have popped up:
                    >
                    > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/9f4c69b6693e8838

                    Additionally, now doing a refresh with Ctrl-L also causes all the
                    folds to collapse (which didn't happen before).

                    Chris

                    --
                    Chris Sutcliffe
                    http://emergedesktop.org