Re: Problem with Mingw crosscompiled vim on Win64

  • Andy Kittner
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 3, 2010
      On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 09:42:33PM +0300, Sergey Khorev wrote:
      >> Since then I have used the attached patch and just blindly returned TRUE for
      >> NCCREATE. It must have worked without I'll effects because until now I
      >
      >Btw the patch has a seemingly harmless side-effect: it makes client
      >window title empty instead of "Vim text area".
      >It seems one of the default actions on WM_NCCREATE is to set window title...
      Most interesting, as DefWindowProc is still called. So I guess that
      indicates that _something_ goes wrong inside it. It doesn't bother to
      put anything but "Operation successfully completed" or something like
      that into GetLastError() though...

      Regards,
      Andy
      --
      I'll turn over a new leaf.
      -- Miguel de Cervantes
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 3, 2010
        Andy,

        > Most interesting, as DefWindowProc is still called. So I guess that
        > indicates that _something_ goes wrong inside it. It doesn't bother to put
        > anything but "Operation successfully completed" or something like that into
        > GetLastError() though...

        It seems I found what actually is wrong. In gui_w32.c we create ASCII
        window class for text area, but _TextAreaWndProc forwards messages to
        vim_WindowProc which in turn might call wide window proc!
        The solution is to create wide text area window class if parent window is wide.

        Attached patch solved my problem. Can you please try it and check
        whether this helps you too or not.

        --
        Sergey Khorev
        http://sites.google.com/site/khorser

      • Andy Kittner
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 3, 2010
          On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 09:11:41AM +0300, Sergey Khorev wrote:
          >Andy,
          >
          >> Most interesting, as DefWindowProc is still called. So I guess that
          >> indicates that _something_ goes wrong inside it. It doesn't bother to put
          >> anything but "Operation successfully completed" or something like that into
          >> GetLastError() though...
          >
          >It seems I found what actually is wrong. In gui_w32.c we create ASCII
          >window class for text area, but _TextAreaWndProc forwards messages to
          >vim_WindowProc which in turn might call wide window proc!
          >The solution is to create wide text area window class if parent window is wide.

          Nice thanks for looking into it some more.

          >Attached patch solved my problem. Can you please try it and check
          >whether this helps you too or not.

          I only did a quick check and got an error at startup, I'll take a closer
          look this evening when I get back from work.

          Regards,
          Andy
          --
          Remember that whatever misfortune may be your lot, it could only be
          worse in Cleveland.
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2010
            On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:15:06AM +0100, Andy Kittner wrote:
            >>It seems I found what actually is wrong. In gui_w32.c we create ASCII
            >>window class for text area, but _TextAreaWndProc forwards messages to
            >>vim_WindowProc which in turn might call wide window proc!
            >>The solution is to create wide text area window class if parent window is wide.
            >
            >Nice thanks for looking into it some more.
            >
            >>Attached patch solved my problem. Can you please try it and check
            >>whether this helps you too or not.
            >
            >I only did a quick check and got an error at startup, I'll take a
            >closer look this evening when I get back from work.
            Oh boy, if there is an award for stupidest person 2010, then I just got
            the lead by a wide margin. When I tried out your patch this morning I
            made a 32bit build and put it in the directory with my last build, which
            as the directory name would have told had I bothered to read it,
            contained 64bit versions of the iconv and gettext dlls...
            Note to self: Don't try patches _before_ the morning coffee.

            Long story short, your patch works fine for me too.

            Thanks,
            Andy
            --
            Too often I find that the volume of paper expands to fill the available
            briefcases.
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4, 2010
              > Long story short, your patch works fine for me too.

              Cool, thank you!

              --
              Sergey Khorev
              http://sites.google.com/site/khorser
              Can anybody think of a good tagline I can steal?

            • John Marriott
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 6, 2010
                Hello. I have been following this thread with some interest because I
                have also experienced the problem of being unable to build vim on Win64
                using mingw64.

                I have tried both the official patch and the unofficial one provided by
                Sergey with success (ie I can build 64-bit gvim on Win64 using mingw64).
                However, the "File->Save As..." command no longer works. It displays "
                :browse confirm saveas" at the bottom of the screen but does not display
                the file/folder "save as" requester window.

                My OS is Win7 x64. MinGW is 4.4.4 20100129 (prerelease) autobuild from
                the MinGW 64 site.

                Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

                Regards
                John

              • Andy Kittner
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2010
                  On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 09:07:38AM +1100, John Marriott wrote:
                  >[...]
                  >mingw64). However, the "File->Save As..." command no longer works. It
                  >displays "
                  >:browse confirm saveas" at the bottom of the screen but does not
                  >display the file/folder "save as" requester window.
                  >
                  >My OS is Win7 x64. MinGW is 4.4.4 20100129 (prerelease) autobuild from
                  >the MinGW 64 site.
                  >
                  >Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
                  I never noticed this, as I don't use the gui browse dialogs, but I could
                  reproduce it. I traced it to some compatibility code with NT 4 (
                  use of OPENFILENAME_SIZE_VERSION_400 instead of the actual size of the
                  OPENFILENAMEW struct). With the attached patch the compatibility code is
                  commented out, and the browse dialog works again for me.

                  According to gdb fileStruct.lStructSize ends up as 8 bytes if
                  OPENFILENAME_SIZE_VERSION_400 is used, which seems quite small to me.
                  I'll try to see what other compilers (should have a vc-express and the
                  original mingw32 lying around here somewhere), maybe it's just some
                  bogus define in the mingw64 headers.

                  Regards,
                  Andy
                  --
                  Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.
                  -- J.R.R. Tolkien
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2010
                    On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 12:46:34PM +0100, Andy Kittner wrote:
                    >According to gdb fileStruct.lStructSize ends up as 8 bytes
                    On second reading I see that the code uses
                    sizeof(OPENFILENAME_SIZE_VERSION_400) which is most likely not intended
                    here, as OPENFILENAME_SIZE_VERSION_400 already contains the required size.

                    Attached patch should fix the issue properly.

                    Regards,
                    Andy
                    --
                    I WILL NOT CUT CORNERS
                    " " " " " "

                    Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode 7F11
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 7, 2010
                      Andy Kittner wrote:

                      > On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 12:46:34PM +0100, Andy Kittner wrote:
                      > >According to gdb fileStruct.lStructSize ends up as 8 bytes
                      > On second reading I see that the code uses
                      > sizeof(OPENFILENAME_SIZE_VERSION_400) which is most likely not intended
                      > here, as OPENFILENAME_SIZE_VERSION_400 already contains the required size.
                      >
                      > Attached patch should fix the issue properly.

                      Thanks! Strange that this ever worked.

                      --
                      Spam seems to be something useful to novices. Later you realize that
                      it's a bunch of indigestable junk that only clogs your system.

                    • John Marriott
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 7, 2010
                        Hi Andy,

                        You're right. It's fixed now.

                        Thanks very much!
                        Regards
                        John

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 7, 2010
                          On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 07:57:18AM +1100, John Marriott wrote:
                          >Hi Andy,
                          >
                          >You're right. It's fixed now.
                          >
                          >Thanks very much!
                          >Regards
                          >John
                          Your welcome! I use vim almost daily, so a little bug hunting is the
                          least I can do to give something back. Let me take this opportunity to
                          say a big thank you to Bram, and all the countless others, who have
                          maintained and improved vim over the years. Especially since it's tools
                          like vim, which give us geeks the reputation of being able to to magic ;)

                          Regards,
                          Andy
                          --
                          <carpaski> 84C does not require better cooling... It requires the
                          heatsink be reattached.
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 13, 2010
                            Is there a chance that this patch will become official?