guidecolumn/margincolumn patch

  • Gregor Uhlenheuer
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi,

      a few months ago a guidecolumn/margincolumn patch was discussed on the
      vim_dev mailing list which caught my interest. Sadly I wasn't
      subscribed to the list at that time and I discovered that nice
      patch only a few days ago. Now I have tried to apply that patch to the
      latest vim source code (7.2.351) available via the mercurial repo.

      So far I didn't got it to work properly but I just want to share my
      current state - maybe there's someone (or even the original author of
      the patch) who is interested in this margincolumn feature too. Probaby
      I just need some vim-source-experienced eyes that discover my mistake(s).

      That's what I get when I start vim -u NONE -U NONE and do :set mc=20

      0x000000000053580d in showruler (always=0) at screen.c:9586

      9586 if ((*p_stl != NUL || *curwin->w_p_stl != NUL) &&
      curwin->w_status_height)

      (gdb) bt
      #0 0x000000000053580d in showruler (always=0) at screen.c:9586

      #1 0x00000000004a52a9 in main_loop (cmdwin=0, noexmode=0) at
      main.c:1160
      #2 0x00000000004a4e85 in main (argc=6, argv=0x7fffffffe058) at
      main.c:955

      It crashes when dereferencing a NULL pointer (*curwin->w_p_stl) where
      w_p_stl is a shortcut for w_onebuf_opt.wo_stl (statusline option I
      think). I see no connection between the margincolumn code and the
      statusline.

      I am interested in any input.

      The hg diff to vim-7.2.351 is attached

      Best regards,
      Gregor Uhlenheuer
    • Gregor Uhlenheuer
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
        Hi all,
        I finally found the mistake in the patch sent yesterday - so now it
        works pretty nice (at least here on my machine). You are now free to
        give it a try.

        BTW, I am new to mercurial - is there an easy way to convert the hg
        diff into the vim desired 'diff -c' format? I had some trouble to do that.

        Best regards,
        Gregor
      • Dominique PellĂ©
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2010
          Gregor Uhlenheuer wrote:

          > BTW, I am new to mercurial - is there an easy way to convert the hg
          > diff into the vim desired 'diff -c' format? I had some trouble to do that.

          I don't know of a simple way to obtain the "diff -c" format.

          However, I don't think there is any problem with submitting patches
          in "hg diff" format. I've been doing that and I see that I'm not alone
          doing that in the vim_dev mailing list.

          Regards
          -- Dominique

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2010
            Dominique Pelle worte:

            > Gregor Uhlenheuer wrote:
            >
            > > BTW, I am new to mercurial - is there an easy way to convert the hg
            > > diff into the vim desired 'diff -c' format? I had some trouble to do that.
            >
            > I don't know of a simple way to obtain the "diff -c" format.
            >
            > However, I don't think there is any problem with submitting patches
            > in "hg diff" format. I've been doing that and I see that I'm not alone
            > doing that in the vim_dev mailing list.

            I'm fine with any kind of diff format. There are still a very small
            number of systems that can only handle the old style format, thus I'm
            using that for sending out patches.

            196. Your computer costs more than your car.