crash bug in 7.2.245

  • jcupitt@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2010
      Hi all,

      I think I've found a crash bug in vim 7.2.245 (and maybe later, I've
      not tried more recent versions) as distributed with Ubuntu 9.10.

      To reproduce:

      - create an empty directory, eg. "mkdir poop"
      - launch vim in there, eg. "cd poop; vim"
      - type ":n poop/"
      - vim displays '"poop/" Illegal file name' and locks with 100% CPU

      The file and directory names don't matter, the bug is triggered by
      trying :n with a trailing slash in an empty directory.

      John

    • François Ingelrest
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2010
        Hi,

        On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 15:17, <jcupitt@...> wrote:
        > I think I've found a crash bug in vim 7.2.245 (and maybe later, I've
        > not tried more recent versions) as distributed with Ubuntu 9.10.
        >
        > To reproduce:
        >
        > - create an empty directory, eg. "mkdir poop"
        > - launch vim in there, eg. "cd poop; vim"
        > - type ":n poop/"
        > - vim displays '"poop/" Illegal file name' and locks with 100% CPU
        >
        > The file and directory names don't matter, the bug is triggered by
        > trying :n with a trailing slash in an empty directory.

        I can't reproduce on Ubuntu 9.10 with Vim 7.2.344. I get the warning
        about the illegal filename, but Vim doesn't hang and doesn't eat the
        CPU.

      • jcupitt@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2010
          2010/1/29 François Ingelrest <francois.ingelrest@...>:
          > I can't reproduce on Ubuntu 9.10 with Vim 7.2.344. I get the warning
          > about the illegal filename, but Vim doesn't hang and doesn't eat the
          > CPU.

          OK, I guess it's fixed. Thank you!

          John

        • Dennis Benzinger
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 29, 2010
            Hi John!

            -------- Original-Nachricht --------
            > Datum: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:17:21 +0000
            > Von: jcupitt@...
            > An: vim-dev@...
            > Betreff: crash bug in 7.2.245

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I think I've found a crash bug in vim 7.2.245 (and maybe later, I've
            > not tried more recent versions) as distributed with Ubuntu 9.10.
            >
            > To reproduce:
            >
            > - create an empty directory, eg. "mkdir poop"
            > - launch vim in there, eg. "cd poop; vim"
            > - type ":n poop/"
            > - vim displays '"poop/" Illegal file name' and locks with 100% CPU
            >
            > The file and directory names don't matter, the bug is triggered by
            > trying :n with a trailing slash in an empty directory.
            > [...]

            I can't reproduce it with Vim 7.2.245 or 7.2.351 on Ubuntu 9.10.
            Try again without any initialization files by using vim -u NONE -U NONE

            Regards,
            Dennis Benzinger

          • Dominique Pellé
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2010
              John wrote:

              > 2010/1/29 François Ingelrest <francois.ingelrest@...>:
              >> I can't reproduce on Ubuntu 9.10 with Vim 7.2.344. I get the warning
              >> about the illegal filename, but Vim doesn't hang and doesn't eat the
              >> CPU.
              >
              > OK, I guess it's fixed. Thank you!
              >
              > John

              I can't reproduce the bug either with Vim-7.2.245 or Vim-7.2.351.
              That does not mean that bug has been fixed. Perhaps something
              in your ~/vimrc or an installed plugin triggers a bug.

              I'd suggest that you compile the latest Vim yourself and verify
              whether it's fixed. Compiling Vim on Ubuntu is simple:

              1/ Install Ubuntu packages required to build Vim:

              $ sudo apt-get build-dep vim

              2/ Install mercurial package:

              $ sudo apt-get install mercurial

              3/ Download Vim sources:

              $ hg clone https://vim.googlecode.com/hg/ vim

              4/ configure/compile/install Vim:

              $ cd vim
              $ ./configure --with-features=huge
              $ make
              $ sudo make install

              (this will install vim in /usr/local/...)

              And tell us whether it solves the issue or not.

              Or if you don't mind sharing your ~/.vimrc & ~/.vim
              content, someone might be able to reproduce the bug.

              Regards
              -- Dominique