Streaming data from process into buffer

  • Ben Gamari
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2010
      Hey all,

      I have recently been working on bringing Carl Worth's excellent
      notmuch[1] mail indexing application into a state where I can rely on it
      for everyday use. While most of the Intel folks developing notmuch use
      emacs for both development and using notmuch, I prefer to avoid carpal
      tunnel whenever possible and thus use vim. While there exists an
      excellent notmuch frontend for vim, it suffers from the incredibly
      annoying limitation of being unable to asynchronously stream data from
      its notmuch subprocess. This can result in extremely long periods of
      hanging during large searches.

      Looking at the emacs frontend, it seems that emacs provides an excellent
      subprocess interface, where one can supply a callback to be called when
      data is available from the process. This interface, amazingly enough,
      resembles an interface proposed on this list only a few hours ago.[2]

      Has anyone examined what would be necessary to implement such an
      interface in vim? Has anyone perhaps started work on such an interface?
      Would this be a reasonable task for an experienced programmer unfamiliar
      with the vi codebase to take on? I'll take a look at the code later
      today.

      I hope things are going well.

      Cheers,

      - Ben