Re: Vim72 and autoconf

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2010
      On 08/01/10 03:10, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
      > Any chance of rebuilding the configure file that gets generated from src/configure.in with a less ancient version of autoconf?
      >
      > Say, 2.61 or more recent?
      >
      > Prior to 2.61, autoconf was extremely cross-compile unfriendly...
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > -Philip

      I believe that this "cross-compile unfriendliness" is intentional: the
      idea is that configure tests a (large) number of features that may be
      present on your computer, in most cases by generating test programs and
      seeing if they compile without error, link without error, and possibly
      even produce the desired output when run. It could of course not run
      those test programs on a different architecture than that where they
      were compiled and linked.

      The alternative is to do as for non-Unix-like architectures: don't use
      configure at all, but an ad-hoc makefile (there are already quite a
      number of these, src/Make_*.mak) to which you would feed defines either
      as command-line options or as environment variables. Then there is no
      testing of your compiling / linking / running hardware and software
      environment, and any variable settings must be supplied manually by
      whoever runs the compile. See examples (including one for
      "cross-compiling" a native-Windows Vim using Cygwin tools) in my HowTo
      for Windows, http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm

      "Star Wars is adolescent nonsense; Close Encounters is obscurantist
      drivel; Star Trek can turn your brains to purée of bat guano; and the
      greatest science fiction series of all time is Doctor Who! And I'll
      take you all on, one-by-one or all in a bunch to back it up!"
      -- Harlan Ellison
    • Patrick Texier
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2010
        On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:10:01 -0800, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

        > Any chance of rebuilding the configure file that gets generated from src/configure.in with a less ancient version of autoconf?
        >
        > Say, 2.61 or more recent?

        == help/todo.txt (2009 Dec 24) ==
        Vim 7.3:
        - Use latest autoconf (3.64)
        =================================
        --
        Patrick Texier
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8, 2010
          Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

          > Any chance of rebuilding the configure file that gets generated from
          > src/configure.in with a less ancient version of autoconf?
          >
          > Say, 2.61 or more recent?
          >
          > Prior to 2.61, autoconf was extremely cross-compile unfriendly...

          It's planned for the 7.3 release. If I switch now you get a very big
          patch for irrelevant changes.

          Oh, the remark in the todo file should be version 2.65, not 3.64.

          --
          From "know your smileys":
          %-) After staring at screen for 15 hours

        • Philip A. Prindeville
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2010
            On 01/08/2010 12:31 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
            >
            >> Any chance of rebuilding the configure file that gets generated from
            >> src/configure.in with a less ancient version of autoconf?
            >>
            >> Say, 2.61 or more recent?
            >>
            >> Prior to 2.61, autoconf was extremely cross-compile unfriendly...
            >
            > It's planned for the 7.3 release. If I switch now you get a very big
            > patch for irrelevant changes.
            >
            > Oh, the remark in the todo file should be version 2.65, not 3.64.

            How far out is 7.3?

            Thanks.
          • Philip A. Prindeville
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 8, 2010
              On 01/07/2010 06:43 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
              > On 08/01/10 03:10, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
              >> Any chance of rebuilding the configure file that gets generated from src/configure.in with a less ancient version of autoconf?
              >>
              >> Say, 2.61 or more recent?
              >>
              >> Prior to 2.61, autoconf was extremely cross-compile unfriendly...
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >>
              >> -Philip
              >>

              > I believe that this "cross-compile unfriendliness" is intentional: the idea is that configure tests a (large) number of features that may be present on your computer, in most cases by generating test programs and seeing if they compile without error, link without error, and possibly even produce the desired output when run. It could of course not run those test programs on a different architecture than that where they were compiled and linked.
              >
              > The alternative is to do as for non-Unix-like architectures: don't use configure at all, but an ad-hoc makefile (there are already quite a number of these, src/Make_*.mak) to which you would feed defines either as command-line options or as environment variables. Then there is no testing of your compiling / linking / running hardware and software environment, and any variable settings must be supplied manually by whoever runs the compile. See examples (including one for "cross-compiling" a native-Windows Vim using Cygwin tools) in my HowTo for Windows, http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Tony.

              Well, in our case, we're building on similar Linux releases, similar libraries, etc.

              I also note that a lot of other packages build (and run successfully) without run-time detection.
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 9, 2010
                Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

                > How far out is 7.3?

                I don't know. It's about time. But I want to change a few things for
                the distribution and the Windows installer.

                --
                From "know your smileys":
                @:-() Elvis Presley