Re: Vim72 and autoconf

  • James Vega
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2010
      On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 06:10:01PM -0800, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
      > Any chance of rebuilding the configure file that gets generated from
      > src/configure.in with a less ancient version of autoconf?

      You can do that locally.

      > Say, 2.61 or more recent?

      The configure that was built for the 7.2 release was generated by 2.62.

      --
      James
    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2010
        On 08/01/10 03:10, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
        > Any chance of rebuilding the configure file that gets generated from src/configure.in with a less ancient version of autoconf?
        >
        > Say, 2.61 or more recent?
        >
        > Prior to 2.61, autoconf was extremely cross-compile unfriendly...
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > -Philip

        I believe that this "cross-compile unfriendliness" is intentional: the
        idea is that configure tests a (large) number of features that may be
        present on your computer, in most cases by generating test programs and
        seeing if they compile without error, link without error, and possibly
        even produce the desired output when run. It could of course not run
        those test programs on a different architecture than that where they
        were compiled and linked.

        The alternative is to do as for non-Unix-like architectures: don't use
        configure at all, but an ad-hoc makefile (there are already quite a
        number of these, src/Make_*.mak) to which you would feed defines either
        as command-line options or as environment variables. Then there is no
        testing of your compiling / linking / running hardware and software
        environment, and any variable settings must be supplied manually by
        whoever runs the compile. See examples (including one for
        "cross-compiling" a native-Windows Vim using Cygwin tools) in my HowTo
        for Windows, http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm

        "Star Wars is adolescent nonsense; Close Encounters is obscurantist
        drivel; Star Trek can turn your brains to purée of bat guano; and the
        greatest science fiction series of all time is Doctor Who! And I'll
        take you all on, one-by-one or all in a bunch to back it up!"
        -- Harlan Ellison
      • Patrick Texier
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8, 2010
          On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:10:01 -0800, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

          > Any chance of rebuilding the configure file that gets generated from src/configure.in with a less ancient version of autoconf?
          >
          > Say, 2.61 or more recent?

          == help/todo.txt (2009 Dec 24) ==
          Vim 7.3:
          - Use latest autoconf (3.64)
          =================================
          --
          Patrick Texier
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2010
            Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

            > Any chance of rebuilding the configure file that gets generated from
            > src/configure.in with a less ancient version of autoconf?
            >
            > Say, 2.61 or more recent?
            >
            > Prior to 2.61, autoconf was extremely cross-compile unfriendly...

            It's planned for the 7.3 release. If I switch now you get a very big
            patch for irrelevant changes.

            Oh, the remark in the todo file should be version 2.65, not 3.64.

            --
            From "know your smileys":
            %-) After staring at screen for 15 hours

          • Philip A. Prindeville
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 8, 2010
              On 01/08/2010 12:31 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
              >
              >> Any chance of rebuilding the configure file that gets generated from
              >> src/configure.in with a less ancient version of autoconf?
              >>
              >> Say, 2.61 or more recent?
              >>
              >> Prior to 2.61, autoconf was extremely cross-compile unfriendly...
              >
              > It's planned for the 7.3 release. If I switch now you get a very big
              > patch for irrelevant changes.
              >
              > Oh, the remark in the todo file should be version 2.65, not 3.64.

              How far out is 7.3?

              Thanks.
            • Philip A. Prindeville
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 8, 2010
                On 01/07/2010 06:43 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                > On 08/01/10 03:10, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
                >> Any chance of rebuilding the configure file that gets generated from src/configure.in with a less ancient version of autoconf?
                >>
                >> Say, 2.61 or more recent?
                >>
                >> Prior to 2.61, autoconf was extremely cross-compile unfriendly...
                >>
                >> Thanks,
                >>
                >> -Philip
                >>

                > I believe that this "cross-compile unfriendliness" is intentional: the idea is that configure tests a (large) number of features that may be present on your computer, in most cases by generating test programs and seeing if they compile without error, link without error, and possibly even produce the desired output when run. It could of course not run those test programs on a different architecture than that where they were compiled and linked.
                >
                > The alternative is to do as for non-Unix-like architectures: don't use configure at all, but an ad-hoc makefile (there are already quite a number of these, src/Make_*.mak) to which you would feed defines either as command-line options or as environment variables. Then there is no testing of your compiling / linking / running hardware and software environment, and any variable settings must be supplied manually by whoever runs the compile. See examples (including one for "cross-compiling" a native-Windows Vim using Cygwin tools) in my HowTo for Windows, http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm
                >
                > Best regards,
                > Tony.

                Well, in our case, we're building on similar Linux releases, similar libraries, etc.

                I also note that a lot of other packages build (and run successfully) without run-time detection.
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 9, 2010
                  Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

                  > How far out is 7.3?

                  I don't know. It's about time. But I want to change a few things for
                  the distribution and the Windows installer.

                  --
                  From "know your smileys":
                  @:-() Elvis Presley