Re: [patch] has("win64") returns 0 in 64-bit Vim

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 5, 2010
      Sergey Khorev wrote:

      > has("win64") returns 0 even for x64 version of Vim. It seems we need
      > to define WIN64 for this to work. Something like that:
      >
      > *** ../vim72.323/src/Make_mvc.mak Wed Dec 23 09:36:54 2009
      > --- src/Make_mvc.mak Tue Jan 5 16:46:26 2010
      > ***************
      > *** 314,319 ****
      > --- 314,323 ----
      > #>>>>> end of choices
      > ###########################################################################
      >
      > + !if ("$(CPU)" == "AMD64") || ("$(CPU)" == "IA64")
      > + CFLAGS=$(CFLAGS) -DWIN64
      > + !endif
      > +
      > !ifdef OS
      > OS_TYPE = winnt
      > DEL_TREE = rmdir /s /q

      In many places in the code _WIN64 is checked for, but the list for has()
      uses WIN64.

      Perhaps we should change them all to WIN64 to be consistent with WIN32,
      and then define WIN64 in vim.h when _WIN64 is defined.

      --
      From "know your smileys":
      y:-) Bad toupee

    • Matt Wozniski
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 5, 2010
        On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Sergey Khorev wrote:
        > Well,
        >
        >> Isn't that only checking the type of CPU that the vim binary was built
        >> with, instead of whether it was built as an x64 binary?  Or does
        >> defining WIN64 cause an x64 binary to be built instead?
        >
        > CPU in makefile defines target CPU.
        > -DWIN64 passed to compiler does nothing besides pointing out to source
        > code we are targeting x64 or IA64.

        OK, then.

        >> I'm not sure what has("win64") should be returning based only on
        >> reading the help, but I'd imagine it should either be a) whether the
        >> vim binary itself is a 64 bit binary, or  b) whether the OS that the
        >> binary is running on is a 64-bit version of windows.  The latter seems
        >> more useful, but I'm not sure just from the help.  If I'm right,
        >> though, it would have to be a runtime test; nothing at compile time
        >> could do the trick.
        >
        > Source code clearly states it was meant as a compile-time check:
        > #ifdef WIN64
        >        "win64",
        > #endif
        >
        > Honestly, I'm not sure what's the point in knowledge what OS version
        > we are running.

        I can conceive of a plugin that dynamically loads a DLL - or another
        program - that requires a 64-bit windows, which would need to know
        that the host OS supports it. In this case, you'd want to know that
        the OS is 64 bit, even if the vim binary is 32-bit. But as I said, I
        can see the argument either way. It should obviously be consistent
        with whatever win16 and win32 do, so if they're compile-time
        architecture checks, all is fine.

        ~Matt
      • Sergey Khorev
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2010
          Matt,

          > I can conceive of a plugin that dynamically loads a DLL - or another
          > program - that requires a 64-bit windows, which would need to know
          > that the host OS supports it.  In this case, you'd want to know that
          > the OS is 64 bit, even if the vim binary is 32-bit.  But as I said, I
          > can see the argument either way.  It should obviously be consistent
          > with whatever win16 and win32 do, so if they're compile-time
          > architecture checks, all is fine.

          I'm afraid you cannot load 64-bit DLL into 32-bit process even in x64
          Windows. In fact, that was why I looked into has("win64")

          --
          Sergey Khorev
          http://sites.google.com/site/khorser
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2010
            Hi,

            > In many places in the code _WIN64 is checked for, but the list for has()
            > uses WIN64.
            >
            > Perhaps we should change them all to WIN64 to be consistent with WIN32,
            > and then define WIN64 in vim.h when _WIN64 is defined.

            That will be inconsistent with WIN32 because it is defined in Makefile :)
            What about changing all occurrences of _WIN64 to WIN64 and defining
            WIN64 in makefile?

            On second thought, I don't like either ways. It seems more consistent
            to change the single occurrence of WIN64 in eval.c to _WIN64. Anyway,
            64-bit binary returns 1 for has("win32") so we don't have to make
            WIN64 to behave like another WIN32.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 6, 2010
              Sergey Khorev wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > > In many places in the code _WIN64 is checked for, but the list for has()
              > > uses WIN64.
              > >
              > > Perhaps we should change them all to WIN64 to be consistent with WIN32,
              > > and then define WIN64 in vim.h when _WIN64 is defined.
              >
              > That will be inconsistent with WIN32 because it is defined in Makefile :)
              > What about changing all occurrences of _WIN64 to WIN64 and defining
              > WIN64 in makefile?
              >
              > On second thought, I don't like either ways. It seems more consistent
              > to change the single occurrence of WIN64 in eval.c to _WIN64. Anyway,
              > 64-bit binary returns 1 for has("win32") so we don't have to make
              > WIN64 to behave like another WIN32.

              The simplest would be to change the #ifdef:

              *** ../vim-7.2.325/src/eval.c 2009-12-31 13:18:05.000000000 +0100
              --- src/eval.c 2010-01-06 16:28:23.000000000 +0100
              ***************
              *** 11453,11459 ****
              #if defined(UNIX) && (defined(__CYGWIN32__) || defined(__CYGWIN__))
              "win32unix",
              #endif
              ! #ifdef WIN64
              "win64",
              #endif
              #ifdef EBCDIC
              --- 11453,11459 ----
              #if defined(UNIX) && (defined(__CYGWIN32__) || defined(__CYGWIN__))
              "win32unix",
              #endif
              ! #if defined(WIN64) || defined(_WIN64)
              "win64",
              #endif
              #ifdef EBCDIC

              Does that work without the change to the Makefile?

              --
              Where do you want to crash today?

            • Sergey Khorev
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 6, 2010
                > The simplest would be to change the #ifdef:

                Agreed

                > Does that work without the change to the Makefile?

                Yes, it works.

                --
                Sergey Khorev
                http://sites.google.com/site/khorser
                Can anybody think of a good tagline I can steal?
              • Tony Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 11, 2010
                  On 05/01/10 20:30, Matt Wozniski wrote:
                  > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Sergey Khorev wrote:
                  >> Well,
                  >>
                  >>> Isn't that only checking the type of CPU that the vim binary was built
                  >>> with, instead of whether it was built as an x64 binary? Or does
                  >>> defining WIN64 cause an x64 binary to be built instead?
                  >>
                  >> CPU in makefile defines target CPU.
                  >> -DWIN64 passed to compiler does nothing besides pointing out to source
                  >> code we are targeting x64 or IA64.
                  >
                  > OK, then.
                  >
                  >>> I'm not sure what has("win64") should be returning based only on
                  >>> reading the help, but I'd imagine it should either be a) whether the
                  >>> vim binary itself is a 64 bit binary, or b) whether the OS that the
                  >>> binary is running on is a 64-bit version of windows. The latter seems
                  >>> more useful, but I'm not sure just from the help. If I'm right,
                  >>> though, it would have to be a runtime test; nothing at compile time
                  >>> could do the trick.
                  >>
                  >> Source code clearly states it was meant as a compile-time check:
                  >> #ifdef WIN64
                  >> "win64",
                  >> #endif
                  >>
                  >> Honestly, I'm not sure what's the point in knowledge what OS version
                  >> we are running.
                  >
                  > I can conceive of a plugin that dynamically loads a DLL - or another
                  > program - that requires a 64-bit windows, which would need to know
                  > that the host OS supports it. In this case, you'd want to know that
                  > the OS is 64 bit, even if the vim binary is 32-bit. But as I said, I
                  > can see the argument either way. It should obviously be consistent
                  > with whatever win16 and win32 do, so if they're compile-time
                  > architecture checks, all is fine.
                  >
                  > ~Matt

                  There is more: in Vim versions built before the +foobar feature was
                  defined, has('foobar') returns zero by design. This means that a has()
                  feature which would return 1 for "this is a 32-bit version of Vim
                  running on a 64-bit OS" would necessarily be unreliable.

                  I've enjoyed just about as much of this as I can stand.