Re: 2010 new features

  • James Vega
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
      On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 01:21:07PM -0800, epanda wrote:
      > 4. Just for Effect, implements transparency on buffer we are editing
      > in order to let user see document below GVim

      This shouldn't be implemented by individual applications. It should be
      implemented at a higher-level (OS or window-manager, depending on
      platform) and applicable to all applications. See, for example, the
      transset program in Linux that lets you change the opacity of any window
      as long as you're running a compositing (window) manager. I'm not sure
      if such functionality exists for Windows, but that would be the Right
      Way to do it.

      --
      James
    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
        Excerpts from James Vega's message of Tue Jan 05 00:46:29 +0100 2010:
        > On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 01:21:07PM -0800, epanda wrote:
        > > 4. Just for Effect, implements transparency on buffer we are editing
        > > in order to let user see document below GVim
        >
        > This shouldn't be implemented by individual applications. It should be
        > implemented at a higher-level (OS or window-manager, depending on
        > platform) and applicable to all applications. See, for example, the
        > transset program in Linux that lets you change the opacity of any window
        > as long as you're running a compositing (window) manager. I'm not sure
        > if such functionality exists for Windows, but that would be the Right
        > Way to do it.

        niftywindows [1] is able to make a colour transparent on Windows XP and
        change opacity by using the scroll wheel.

        Marc Weber
        [1] http://www.enovatic.org/products/niftywindows/introduction/

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 5, 2010
          Hi epanda!

          On Mo, 04 Jan 2010, epanda wrote:

          > Gvim more on Windows OS
          […]
          > 4. Just for Effect, implements transparency on buffer we are editing
          > in order to let user see document below GVim

          regards,
          Christian

        • epanda
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 5, 2010
            On 5 jan, 14:21, Christian Brabandt <cbli...@...> wrote:
            > Hi epanda!
            >
            > On Mo, 04 Jan 2010, epanda wrote:
            >

            > > Gvim more  on Windows OS
            > […]
            > > 4. Just for Effect, implements transparency on buffer we are editing
            > > in order to let user see document below GVim

            > regards,
            > Christian

            I have already tried this dll. But I would like to set transparency
            only on buffer

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
              Hi epanda!

              On Di, 05 Jan 2010, epanda wrote:

              > I have already tried this dll. But I would like to set transparency
              > only on buffer

              Do you mean when entering certain buffers switching on/off transparency?
              You can achieve this using auto-commands.

              Or do you mean on a per window basis? (Certain windows transparent while
              others are not?) I doubt that is possible. Is this even possible with
              any other application?

              regards,
              Christian
              52. You ask a plumber how much it would cost to replace the chair in front of
              your computer with a toilet.
            • epanda
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                On 6 jan, 16:20, Christian Brabandt <cbli...@...> wrote:
                > Hi epanda!
                >
                > On Di, 05 Jan 2010, epanda wrote:
                >
                > > I have already tried this dll. But I would like to set transparency
                > > only on buffer
                >
                > Do you mean when entering certain buffers switching on/off transparency?
                > You can achieve this using auto-commands.
                >
                > Or do you mean on a per window basis? (Certain windows transparent while
                > others are not?) I doubt that is possible. Is this even possible with
                > any other application?
                >
                > regards,
                > Christian
                > --
                > 52. You ask a plumber how much it would cost to replace the chair in front of
                >     your computer with a toilet.

                Transparency is a gadget, but I meant that text area content
                background should be set to an alpha value. Not all the window with
                vimtweak.

                No, the good feature I am working on is to have 2 toolbars.
                First static with builtin icons
                Second dynamic and which slide horizontally to display all icon added
                dynamically.

                I should let you view my icons toolbar if you learn me how to post
                html link of image here.

                I think to be attractive, GVim need a lifting

                Thanks
              • Tony Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 11, 2010
                  On 06/01/10 19:49, epanda wrote:
                  [...]
                  > I think to be attractive, GVim need a lifting
                  >
                  > Thanks

                  I am wary of liftings. Ever noticed those old former stars (or wannabes)
                  whose facial skin is drawn so taut that they don't dare laugh anymore,
                  or even smile frankly, for fear of bursting into wrinkles all over?

                  Vim has the wrinkles of an age that brings wisdom, and it can afford to
                  play with children or discuss philosophy with teen-agers without yet
                  sinking into second childhood. ;-)

                  One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least
                  somebody's listening.
                  -- Franklin P. Jones

                • Tux
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 11, 2010
                    Maybe it /would/ make GVim more "attractive" if it had, let's say, a
                    more "modern" toolbar. But I actually doubt that GVim would gain more
                    attraction then; after all, there's still Vim working in it. Not made
                    for everyone. ;-)
                    People who love eye-candy will probably never touch GVim anyway.

                  • Tom Link
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
                      > Maybe it /would/ make GVim more "attractive" if it had, let's say, a
                      > more "modern" toolbar.

                      Maybe MS Office like ribbons would help to improve vim's popularity.
                      I've been told that a future version of OpenOffice will have similar
                      gui elements. Hence, they have to be useful.

                    • Matt Wozniski
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
                        On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:19 AM, Tom Link <micathom@...> wrote:
                        >> Maybe it /would/ make GVim more "attractive" if it had, let's say, a
                        >> more "modern" toolbar.
                        >
                        > Maybe MS Office like ribbons would help to improve vim's popularity.
                        > I've been told that a future version of OpenOffice will have similar
                        > gui elements. Hence, they have to be useful.

                        That's true, OpenOffice is a paragon of usability!

                        ~Matt

                      • Tux
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
                          Tom Link schrob am 12.03.2010 12:19:
                          > Maybe MS Office like ribbons would help to improve vim's popularity.

                          *shiver*