Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

  • Nikolai Weibull
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
      On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:54, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:
      > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:41, Ernie Rael <err@...> wrote:
      >> On 1/4/2010 12:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

      >>> Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?

      >> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
      >> discusses tracking branches related in mercurial

      > That’s not what I asked.

      To clarify:

      Does Google Code or SourceForge provide convenient interfaces for
      dealing with this kind of collaborative development, similar to how
      Github does it for Git?

    • Eric Van Dewoestine
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
        On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 11:21:51PM +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:54, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:

        > >> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
        > >> discusses tracking branches related in mercurial
        >
        > > That’s not what I asked.
        >
        > To clarify:
        >
        > Does Google Code or SourceForge provide convenient interfaces for
        > dealing with this kind of collaborative development, similar to how
        > Github does it for Git?

        Google Code allows you to create a server side clone of mercurial
        repositories. I'm almost certain that SourceForge doesn't have any
        support for server side forking. BitBucket has support for creating
        server side forks and patch queues.

        --
        eric

      • Xavier de Gaye
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
          On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

          >> SourceForge does provide Mercurial repositories. code.google.com only
          >> allows a small set of open source licenses, and Vim's isn't among them.
          >
          > Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?
          > I mean, it would be sweet if Bram could track and pull from
          > repository where I would be maintaining all the runtime files that I
          > maintain (177). Github makes this very easy and explicit. I’m not
          > going to push choosing Git over Mercurial, but I really want to have a
          > say in this and I want this stuff to be as simple as possible. The
          > current set-up, where I basically check out a Git mirror of the
          > Subversion repository, edit files, and then send them whole to Bram is
          > not very engaging.

          You can send Bram a bundle of your changes, see 'bundle' command at:

          http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/hg.1.html#bundle

          For example using the command:

          hg bundle nikolai.hg http://vim.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/vim/vim

          The 'nikolai.hg' bundle file includes all the changesets not in Bram
          sourceforge repository. Assuming all your changes are in a branch,
          Bram may unbundle the 'nikolai.hg' file into his repository (or
          another working clone) and merge your branch into his code.

          Xavier