Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

  • Nikolai Weibull
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
      On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:41, Ernie Rael <err@...> wrote:

      > On 1/4/2010 12:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

      >> Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?

      > http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
      > discusses tracking branches related in mercurial

      That’s not what I asked.

    • Nikolai Weibull
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
        On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:54, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:41, Ernie Rael <err@...> wrote:
        >> On 1/4/2010 12:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

        >>> Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?

        >> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
        >> discusses tracking branches related in mercurial

        > That’s not what I asked.

        To clarify:

        Does Google Code or SourceForge provide convenient interfaces for
        dealing with this kind of collaborative development, similar to how
        Github does it for Git?

      • Eric Van Dewoestine
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
          On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 11:21:51PM +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
          > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:54, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:

          > >> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
          > >> discusses tracking branches related in mercurial
          >
          > > That’s not what I asked.
          >
          > To clarify:
          >
          > Does Google Code or SourceForge provide convenient interfaces for
          > dealing with this kind of collaborative development, similar to how
          > Github does it for Git?

          Google Code allows you to create a server side clone of mercurial
          repositories. I'm almost certain that SourceForge doesn't have any
          support for server side forking. BitBucket has support for creating
          server side forks and patch queues.

          --
          eric

        • Xavier de Gaye
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
            On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

            >> SourceForge does provide Mercurial repositories. code.google.com only
            >> allows a small set of open source licenses, and Vim's isn't among them.
            >
            > Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?
            > I mean, it would be sweet if Bram could track and pull from
            > repository where I would be maintaining all the runtime files that I
            > maintain (177). Github makes this very easy and explicit. I’m not
            > going to push choosing Git over Mercurial, but I really want to have a
            > say in this and I want this stuff to be as simple as possible. The
            > current set-up, where I basically check out a Git mirror of the
            > Subversion repository, edit files, and then send them whole to Bram is
            > not very engaging.

            You can send Bram a bundle of your changes, see 'bundle' command at:

            http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/hg.1.html#bundle

            For example using the command:

            hg bundle nikolai.hg http://vim.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/vim/vim

            The 'nikolai.hg' bundle file includes all the changesets not in Bram
            sourceforge repository. Assuming all your changes are in a branch,
            Bram may unbundle the 'nikolai.hg' file into his repository (or
            another working clone) and merge your branch into his code.

            Xavier