Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

  • Ernie Rael
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
      On 1/4/2010 12:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
      > Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?
      http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
      discusses tracking branches related in mercurial

      -ernie

    • Nikolai Weibull
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
        On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:41, Ernie Rael <err@...> wrote:

        > On 1/4/2010 12:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

        >> Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?

        > http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
        > discusses tracking branches related in mercurial

        That’s not what I asked.

      • Nikolai Weibull
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
          On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:54, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:
          > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:41, Ernie Rael <err@...> wrote:
          >> On 1/4/2010 12:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

          >>> Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?

          >> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
          >> discusses tracking branches related in mercurial

          > That’s not what I asked.

          To clarify:

          Does Google Code or SourceForge provide convenient interfaces for
          dealing with this kind of collaborative development, similar to how
          Github does it for Git?

        • Eric Van Dewoestine
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
            On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 11:21:51PM +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
            > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:54, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:

            > >> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
            > >> discusses tracking branches related in mercurial
            >
            > > That’s not what I asked.
            >
            > To clarify:
            >
            > Does Google Code or SourceForge provide convenient interfaces for
            > dealing with this kind of collaborative development, similar to how
            > Github does it for Git?

            Google Code allows you to create a server side clone of mercurial
            repositories. I'm almost certain that SourceForge doesn't have any
            support for server side forking. BitBucket has support for creating
            server side forks and patch queues.

            --
            eric

          • Xavier de Gaye
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
              On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

              >> SourceForge does provide Mercurial repositories. code.google.com only
              >> allows a small set of open source licenses, and Vim's isn't among them.
              >
              > Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?
              > I mean, it would be sweet if Bram could track and pull from
              > repository where I would be maintaining all the runtime files that I
              > maintain (177). Github makes this very easy and explicit. I’m not
              > going to push choosing Git over Mercurial, but I really want to have a
              > say in this and I want this stuff to be as simple as possible. The
              > current set-up, where I basically check out a Git mirror of the
              > Subversion repository, edit files, and then send them whole to Bram is
              > not very engaging.

              You can send Bram a bundle of your changes, see 'bundle' command at:

              http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/hg.1.html#bundle

              For example using the command:

              hg bundle nikolai.hg http://vim.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/vim/vim

              The 'nikolai.hg' bundle file includes all the changesets not in Bram
              sourceforge repository. Assuming all your changes are in a branch,
              Bram may unbundle the 'nikolai.hg' file into his repository (or
              another working clone) and merge your branch into his code.

              Xavier