2010 new features

  • epanda
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
      Hi,

      I don't know if I can on this forum but I think it will be good to add
      some features to Gvim on this new year in order to tempt people to use
      Gvim more on Windows OS

      1. new icons'toolbar

      1.a With better icons to store and retrieve data on usb key
      (detecting usb label of user)

      2. make 2 toolbars,
      2.a first one static like the one which is used actually, this
      should cover essentials icons until help
      2.b second toolbar that can slide horizontaly if number of
      dynamic added icons make them out of total toolbar width

      3. Enable to move tab position visually by drag and drop like on
      google chrome or others webnavigator in order to let user organize tab
      themes

      4. Just for Effect, implements transparency on buffer we are editing
      in order to let user see document below GVim

      I have tried to contact the people who have worked on windows toolbar
      without any success.
      I am trying to make the second point real actually.

      Thank you for your work on Gvim and wish you an happy new year.

      NB : sorry for my bad english I am fench

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
        Hi epanda,

        > I don't know if I can on this forum but I think it will be good to add
        > some features to Gvim on this new year in order to tempt people to use
        > Gvim more on Windows OS

        Have a look here: http://www.vim.org/sponsor/index.php
        -> "voting page".

        Also have a look at :h todo.txt

        Maybe there are additional options as well.
        On of them is "do it yourself and provide a patch".

        > NB : sorry for my bad english I am fench
        I understood your English but I don't know what "fench" is :-)

        Sincerly
        Marc Weber

      • James Vega
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
          On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 01:21:07PM -0800, epanda wrote:
          > 4. Just for Effect, implements transparency on buffer we are editing
          > in order to let user see document below GVim

          This shouldn't be implemented by individual applications. It should be
          implemented at a higher-level (OS or window-manager, depending on
          platform) and applicable to all applications. See, for example, the
          transset program in Linux that lets you change the opacity of any window
          as long as you're running a compositing (window) manager. I'm not sure
          if such functionality exists for Windows, but that would be the Right
          Way to do it.

          --
          James
        • Marc Weber
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
            Excerpts from James Vega's message of Tue Jan 05 00:46:29 +0100 2010:
            > On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 01:21:07PM -0800, epanda wrote:
            > > 4. Just for Effect, implements transparency on buffer we are editing
            > > in order to let user see document below GVim
            >
            > This shouldn't be implemented by individual applications. It should be
            > implemented at a higher-level (OS or window-manager, depending on
            > platform) and applicable to all applications. See, for example, the
            > transset program in Linux that lets you change the opacity of any window
            > as long as you're running a compositing (window) manager. I'm not sure
            > if such functionality exists for Windows, but that would be the Right
            > Way to do it.

            niftywindows [1] is able to make a colour transparent on Windows XP and
            change opacity by using the scroll wheel.

            Marc Weber
            [1] http://www.enovatic.org/products/niftywindows/introduction/

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 5, 2010
              Hi epanda!

              On Mo, 04 Jan 2010, epanda wrote:

              > Gvim more on Windows OS
              […]
              > 4. Just for Effect, implements transparency on buffer we are editing
              > in order to let user see document below GVim

              regards,
              Christian

            • epanda
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 5, 2010
                On 5 jan, 14:21, Christian Brabandt <cbli...@...> wrote:
                > Hi epanda!
                >
                > On Mo, 04 Jan 2010, epanda wrote:
                >

                > > Gvim more  on Windows OS
                > […]
                > > 4. Just for Effect, implements transparency on buffer we are editing
                > > in order to let user see document below GVim

                > regards,
                > Christian

                I have already tried this dll. But I would like to set transparency
                only on buffer

              • Christian Brabandt
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                  Hi epanda!

                  On Di, 05 Jan 2010, epanda wrote:

                  > I have already tried this dll. But I would like to set transparency
                  > only on buffer

                  Do you mean when entering certain buffers switching on/off transparency?
                  You can achieve this using auto-commands.

                  Or do you mean on a per window basis? (Certain windows transparent while
                  others are not?) I doubt that is possible. Is this even possible with
                  any other application?

                  regards,
                  Christian
                  52. You ask a plumber how much it would cost to replace the chair in front of
                  your computer with a toilet.
                • epanda
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 6, 2010
                    On 6 jan, 16:20, Christian Brabandt <cbli...@...> wrote:
                    > Hi epanda!
                    >
                    > On Di, 05 Jan 2010, epanda wrote:
                    >
                    > > I have already tried this dll. But I would like to set transparency
                    > > only on buffer
                    >
                    > Do you mean when entering certain buffers switching on/off transparency?
                    > You can achieve this using auto-commands.
                    >
                    > Or do you mean on a per window basis? (Certain windows transparent while
                    > others are not?) I doubt that is possible. Is this even possible with
                    > any other application?
                    >
                    > regards,
                    > Christian
                    > --
                    > 52. You ask a plumber how much it would cost to replace the chair in front of
                    >     your computer with a toilet.

                    Transparency is a gadget, but I meant that text area content
                    background should be set to an alpha value. Not all the window with
                    vimtweak.

                    No, the good feature I am working on is to have 2 toolbars.
                    First static with builtin icons
                    Second dynamic and which slide horizontally to display all icon added
                    dynamically.

                    I should let you view my icons toolbar if you learn me how to post
                    html link of image here.

                    I think to be attractive, GVim need a lifting

                    Thanks
                  • Tony Mechelynck
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 11, 2010
                      On 06/01/10 19:49, epanda wrote:
                      [...]
                      > I think to be attractive, GVim need a lifting
                      >
                      > Thanks

                      I am wary of liftings. Ever noticed those old former stars (or wannabes)
                      whose facial skin is drawn so taut that they don't dare laugh anymore,
                      or even smile frankly, for fear of bursting into wrinkles all over?

                      Vim has the wrinkles of an age that brings wisdom, and it can afford to
                      play with children or discuss philosophy with teen-agers without yet
                      sinking into second childhood. ;-)

                      One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least
                      somebody's listening.
                      -- Franklin P. Jones

                    • Tux
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 11, 2010
                        Maybe it /would/ make GVim more "attractive" if it had, let's say, a
                        more "modern" toolbar. But I actually doubt that GVim would gain more
                        attraction then; after all, there's still Vim working in it. Not made
                        for everyone. ;-)
                        People who love eye-candy will probably never touch GVim anyway.

                      • Tom Link
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
                          > Maybe it /would/ make GVim more "attractive" if it had, let's say, a
                          > more "modern" toolbar.

                          Maybe MS Office like ribbons would help to improve vim's popularity.
                          I've been told that a future version of OpenOffice will have similar
                          gui elements. Hence, they have to be useful.

                        • Matt Wozniski
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
                            On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:19 AM, Tom Link <micathom@...> wrote:
                            >> Maybe it /would/ make GVim more "attractive" if it had, let's say, a
                            >> more "modern" toolbar.
                            >
                            > Maybe MS Office like ribbons would help to improve vim's popularity.
                            > I've been told that a future version of OpenOffice will have similar
                            > gui elements. Hence, they have to be useful.

                            That's true, OpenOffice is a paragon of usability!

                            ~Matt

                          • Tux
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
                              Tom Link schrob am 12.03.2010 12:19:
                              > Maybe MS Office like ribbons would help to improve vim's popularity.

                              *shiver*