Re: promising items in the latest todo.txt

  • Nikolai Weibull
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
      On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 21:26, James Vega <jamessan@...> wrote:
      > On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 05:24:33PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >> Dennis Benzinger wrote:

      >> > That's a nice Christmas present :-)

      >> > Will the repository be hosted on code.google.com or do you plan to setup
      >> > Mercurial on vim.org?

      >> code.google.com should work, I suppose.  There is no "vim.org" server,
      >> the website is at SourceForge.

      > SourceForge does provide Mercurial repositories.  code.google.com only
      > allows a small set of open source licenses, and Vim's isn't among them.

      Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?
      I mean, it would be sweet if Bram could track and pull from
      repository where I would be maintaining all the runtime files that I
      maintain (177). Github makes this very easy and explicit. I’m not
      going to push choosing Git over Mercurial, but I really want to have a
      say in this and I want this stuff to be as simple as possible. The
      current set-up, where I basically check out a Git mirror of the
      Subversion repository, edit files, and then send them whole to Bram is
      not very engaging.

    • Ernie Rael
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
        On 1/4/2010 12:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
        > Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?
        http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
        discusses tracking branches related in mercurial

        -ernie

      • Nikolai Weibull
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
          On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:41, Ernie Rael <err@...> wrote:

          > On 1/4/2010 12:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

          >> Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?

          > http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
          > discusses tracking branches related in mercurial

          That’s not what I asked.

        • Nikolai Weibull
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
            On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:54, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:
            > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:41, Ernie Rael <err@...> wrote:
            >> On 1/4/2010 12:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

            >>> Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?

            >> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
            >> discusses tracking branches related in mercurial

            > That’s not what I asked.

            To clarify:

            Does Google Code or SourceForge provide convenient interfaces for
            dealing with this kind of collaborative development, similar to how
            Github does it for Git?

          • Eric Van Dewoestine
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2010
              On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 11:21:51PM +0100, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
              > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 22:54, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:

              > >> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Communication_between_repositories
              > >> discusses tracking branches related in mercurial
              >
              > > That’s not what I asked.
              >
              > To clarify:
              >
              > Does Google Code or SourceForge provide convenient interfaces for
              > dealing with this kind of collaborative development, similar to how
              > Github does it for Git?

              Google Code allows you to create a server side clone of mercurial
              repositories. I'm almost certain that SourceForge doesn't have any
              support for server side forking. BitBucket has support for creating
              server side forks and patch queues.

              --
              eric

            • Xavier de Gaye
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2010
                On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

                >> SourceForge does provide Mercurial repositories. code.google.com only
                >> allows a small set of open source licenses, and Vim's isn't among them.
                >
                > Do either support tracking branches and similar stuff in a simple way?
                > I mean, it would be sweet if Bram could track and pull from
                > repository where I would be maintaining all the runtime files that I
                > maintain (177). Github makes this very easy and explicit. I’m not
                > going to push choosing Git over Mercurial, but I really want to have a
                > say in this and I want this stuff to be as simple as possible. The
                > current set-up, where I basically check out a Git mirror of the
                > Subversion repository, edit files, and then send them whole to Bram is
                > not very engaging.

                You can send Bram a bundle of your changes, see 'bundle' command at:

                http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/hg.1.html#bundle

                For example using the command:

                hg bundle nikolai.hg http://vim.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/vim/vim

                The 'nikolai.hg' bundle file includes all the changesets not in Bram
                sourceforge repository. Assuming all your changes are in a branch,
                Bram may unbundle the 'nikolai.hg' file into his repository (or
                another working clone) and merge your branch into his code.

                Xavier