conf check in ftplugin.vim slightly broken (?)

  • JD
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
      Hey all,

      I was having some fun earlier today, going through some .conf files in
      Vim and i noticed that conf file that are bind-style (conf filetype in
      vim) that use C-style comments like: /* comment */ are not recognized
      as the conf filetype (or any other filetype for that matter) and even
      when i force the conf filetype on by adding "# comment" to the first
      line of the file, the C-style comments don't get any syntax
      hilighting.

      The filetype detection seems to be around line 2405 (or possibly 2445)
      in the filetype.vim runtime file, it seems to be looking for a # on
      any one of the first 5 lines of the file. Perhaps some additional
      detection for C-style comments as well there? Also somewhere in
      probably the filetype plugin or possibly the filetype syntax file,
      it'd be nice if support for C-style comments in config files was there
      too.

      Thanks
      JD

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
        JD wrote:

        > I was having some fun earlier today, going through some .conf files in
        > Vim and i noticed that conf file that are bind-style (conf filetype in
        > vim) that use C-style comments like: /* comment */ are not recognized
        > as the conf filetype (or any other filetype for that matter) and even
        > when i force the conf filetype on by adding "# comment" to the first
        > line of the file, the C-style comments don't get any syntax
        > hilighting.
        >
        > The filetype detection seems to be around line 2405 (or possibly 2445)
        > in the filetype.vim runtime file, it seems to be looking for a # on
        > any one of the first 5 lines of the file. Perhaps some additional
        > detection for C-style comments as well there? Also somewhere in
        > probably the filetype plugin or possibly the filetype syntax file,
        > it'd be nice if support for C-style comments in config files was there
        > too.

        The usual conf files don't have C-style comments. What file are you
        talking about?

        86. E-mail Deficiency Depression (EDD) forces you to e-mail yourself.

      • JD
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
          On Jan 4, 4:10 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
          > JD wrote:
          > > I was having some fun earlier today, going through some .conf files in
          > > Vim and i noticed that conf file that are bind-style (conf filetype in
          > > vim) that use C-style comments like: /* comment */ are not recognized
          > > as the conf filetype (or any other filetype for that matter) and even
          > > when i force the conf filetype on by adding "# comment" to the first
          > > line of the file, the C-style comments don't get any syntax
          > > hilighting.
          >
          > > The filetype detection seems to be around line 2405 (or possibly 2445)
          > > in the filetype.vim runtime file, it seems to be looking for a # on
          > > any one of the first 5 lines of the file. Perhaps some additional
          > > detection for C-style comments as well there? Also somewhere in
          > > probably the filetype plugin or possibly the filetype syntax file,
          > > it'd be nice if support for C-style comments in config files was there
          > > too.
          >
          > The usual conf files don't have C-style comments.  What file are you
          > talking about?
          >
          > --
          > 86. E-mail Deficiency Depression (EDD) forces you to e-mail yourself.
          >
          >  /// Bram Moolenaar -- B...@... --http://www.Moolenaar.net  \\\
          > ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features --http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/\\\
          > \\\        download, build and distribute --http://www.A-A-P.org       ///
          >  \\\            help me help AIDS victims --http://ICCF-Holland.org   ///

          Here's a link to the one the was failing (on the project's hgweb for
          laziness): http://hg.atheme.org/atheme/atheme/file/c110172a3601/dist/atheme.conf.example

          Here's an example of a .conf from a different project (still IRC
          related...hmm...) that uses C-style comments from their cvsweb:
          http://cvsweb.unrealircd.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/unreal/doc/example.conf?rev=1.1.1.1.6.1.2.53.2.15;content-type=text%2Fplain

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2010
            JD wrote:

            > On Jan 4, 4:10 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
            > > JD wrote:
            > > > I was having some fun earlier today, going through some .conf files in
            > > > Vim and i noticed that conf file that are bind-style (conf filetype in
            > > > vim) that use C-style comments like: /* comment */ are not recognized
            > > > as the conf filetype (or any other filetype for that matter) and even
            > > > when i force the conf filetype on by adding "# comment" to the first
            > > > line of the file, the C-style comments don't get any syntax
            > > > hilighting.
            > >
            > > > The filetype detection seems to be around line 2405 (or possibly 2445)
            > > > in the filetype.vim runtime file, it seems to be looking for a # on
            > > > any one of the first 5 lines of the file. Perhaps some additional
            > > > detection for C-style comments as well there? Also somewhere in
            > > > probably the filetype plugin or possibly the filetype syntax file,
            > > > it'd be nice if support for C-style comments in config files was there
            > > > too.
            > >
            > > The usual conf files don't have C-style comments. What file are you
            > > talking about?
            > >
            > > --
            > > hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
            > > 86. E-mail Deficiency Depression (EDD) forces you to e-mail yourself.
            > >
            > > /// Bram Moolenaar -- B...@... --http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
            > > /// sponsor Vim, vote for features --http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/\\\
            > > \\\ download, build and distribute --http://www.A-A-P.org ///
            > > \\\ help me help AIDS victims --http://ICCF-Holland.org ///
            >
            > Here's a link to the one the was failing (on the project's hgweb for
            > laziness): http://hg.atheme.org/atheme/atheme/file/c110172a3601/dist/atheme.conf.example
            >
            > Here's an example of a .conf from a different project (still IRC
            > related...hmm...) that uses C-style comments from their cvsweb:
            > http://cvsweb.unrealircd.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/unreal/doc/example.conf?rev=1.1.1.1.6.1.2.53.2.15;content-type=text%2Fplain

            Those are not using the "conf" filetype. These need a different syntax
            file. Perhaps there is an existing one that is close (there are so
            many).

            Do not confuse the filetype name with the file name extension.
            "xxx.conf" doesn't mean it's a "conf" filetype.

            --
            From "know your smileys":
            ;-0 Can't find shift key